Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licorice flavoured liqueur?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 3:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I like the Mediterranean food quite a bit, and could use a liqueur that matches it well.

I would really appreciate some opinions on which licorice liqueur has the best flavour?

Thanks for the help! :)

cozmik
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

theres so many though!

absinthe
    sambuka
    grappa
    pernod

me I'd go for a good pernod like ricard, not as harsh as some of the cheaper stuff and really good flavour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Thanks caff!

As long as it has a good licorice flavour that is the most important criteria to me.

Any more suggestions are appreciated.

cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

caff wrote:
    absinthe

Hey said good flavor, not good rat poison. I'd stick with grappa or sambuca

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

newkie wrote:
    Hey said good flavor, not good rat poison. I'd stick with grappa or sambuca

my experiences with grappa have being much worse than those with absinthe :D

nah a good pernod beats them all IMO

I bought a bottle of Ricard but found the taste to be very unpleasant, so I tried a Casoni sambuca and that was much better!

Does anyone know more about these drinks?

How does Casoni fair overall compared to other licorice/anise liqueurs?

Thanks in advance

cozmik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

When I think medditeranian I always think Ouzo (SP?) its from Greece I think.

Thank you c - 13!

Does anyone know about the Italian brand Sambuca? ,Molinari ,Romana ,vaccari ,casoni

any opinions on which has the most enjoyable flavour?

thanks again

cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The generic term for Pernod, Ricard et al is "pastis," Pernod is a brand name. They were developed as a modification of absinthe after it was banned in France at the start of the 20th century. As with absinthe, you really have to mix them with water, they aren't meant to be drunk neat. Absinthe is a perfectly pleasant drink when mixed with water, I often suspect people who take an intense distaste to the stuff are making the mistake of drinking it neat (or are drinking the Czech stuff ;-)

blorg ,I tried the ricard both ways neat and with water and it was not the flavour I wanted.
    The bottle of sambuca casoni I bought afterwards had the right taste.

Anyone who likes licorice will know what I mean.

cozmik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I think the way most people drink pernod is with blackcurrant cordial, try that too. You cant beat the old Vacarri for sambucha, i only drink that stuff straight and flaming though.

• Advertisement

I think the way most people drink pernod is with blackcurrant cordial, try that too. You cant beat the old Vacarri for sambucha, i only drink that stuff straight and flaming though.

Thanks freakonaleashx!

Straight is how I like to drink it aswell that's why the flavour is important to me. :)

cozmik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Make your own liquorice liqueuer.
    Get your hands on some Salmiak, which is Scandinavian or Dutch salty liquorice and pop it in a blender with a bottle of vodka and blitz.
    We used make our own in a pub in Germany, it went down a bomb.
    The brand of Salmiak we used use was called "Turkische Pfeffer" (turkish pepper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 linehanj

Does anyone know where to get watermelon liqueur in Ireland? My girlfriend had it away last year and we cannot seem to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Did she have it away with someone that drank Watermelon Liqueur?

Must have been odd tasting if it ended up in a Licorice thread that's 3 years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 linehanj

No thread for watermelon liqeur so I went with liqeur thread!! It's very nice with some champagne in a martini glass she tells me.....me drinking from a martini glass isn't wise!!

Advertisement