Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent purchases and whatnot

• 22-12-2006 4:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd share some recommendations out of some recent additions to the collection.

Unleashed Midvinterblot
    I don't know these guys but apparently they've been around a wee while. This album is all right, very by the book DM but with very little frills. It isn't tickling me totally but I think a few people here would dig it. Not a bad album, just not clicking with me.

Melvins (A) Senile Animal
    This is just animal. Less head****ing than on their last few albums, this is more along the lines of Houdini and Stoner Witch. Big Business bring a lot to the table and Buzz and Dale are on top form. I can't recommend this highly enough.

Clown Alley Circus of Chaos
    This is a reissue of a long lost album by a band featuring both Lorax and Mark D from the Melvins. It was from before Melvins unleashed their sludge on the world (Mark D's label, who put this out originally, released Melvins' Gluey Porch Treatments). It's somewhere along the lines of hardcore with a kick of sludge up its arse. A little dated sounding but good stuff nonetheless.

Entrance Prayer of Death
    Balls to floor bluesy rock. Think QOTSA but heavier and less stadium rocky. I'm a big fan of this, makes me do cool air guitar and jump around the room like I mean it.

Khanate Khanate and Things Viral
    Double CD reissues of these two ESSENTIAL doom albums on Japan's Daymare Recordings. The self titled one has the WMFU live disc and Things Viral has the No Joy remix from the 12", a version of "Commuted" that was previously only on the vinyl version of Things Viral and a previously unreleased track. Nice packaging. Well worth the little extra to order these bad boys from Japan.

Black Boned Angel Bliss and Void Inseparable
    Heaviest album I've heard in a long, long time. It's part noise album, part doom and part weird soundtrack music. I couldn't do anything bar listen the first time I played it, it's such an intensely brilliant album. This and the Melvins albums are must buys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

i wonder if this is going to turn into a "what you bought last?" thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Gotta mention Beyond Fear, featuring Tim Owens (Judas Priest, Iced Earth), sounds like Painkiller-era Priest, maybe with slightly more of a thrash edge, which is a very good thing in my book. Deadly stuff, he has a belter of a voice and the guitarists in this band are really quite superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Numina wrote:
    i wonder if this is going to turn into a "what you bought last?" thread...

Well I've started a few threads like this and they always run a normal natural course.

That sounds good J-Zilla, I'm itching for more straight up rocking out with all the chin stroking pretension I've been listening to lately. Must check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

i bought some Kiss-greatest hits album yesterday.........love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonko

Khanate are great imo.

• Advertisement

Zonko wrote:
    Khanate are great imo.

If you haven't got either of those albums already, I highly recommend getting those Japanese versions (you might need to search the web for them though, I got them from Inoxia). I bought them and gave away my original CDs to those more needy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Doctor J wrote:
    Gotta mention Beyond Fear, featuring Tim Owens (Judas Priest, Iced Earth), sounds like Painkiller-era Priest, maybe with slightly more of a thrash edge, which is a very good thing in my book. Deadly stuff, he has a belter of a voice and the guitarists in this band are really quite superb.

I forgot completely about his new band...have to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Iv actually only just bought two cd's just there now, good old CD-WOW and there €5 off. They are Frances the Mute by the Mars Volta and the Albert Hammond Jr. solo album.

Cant think of what the last album I actually bought was that I have with me, must have been Desert Sessions 9 & 10 and Dust by Screaming Trees.

Desert Sessions: Yeah its good. So much fun stuff to listen to on it. Really like the PJ Harvey stuff aswell.

Dust: Find it a lot like Pearl Jam. Good album though. Must put it back on though, its been a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Doctor J wrote:

sounds good.. must invest in it in the January sales..

hoping to get a good few new albums for christmas if the want list I gave out was used! can't wait - haven't bought myself new music in a good few weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

i bought a few cd's on ebay recently -
    asgaut - village
    cronian - terra
    borknagar - origin
    and
    morbid angel - gateways to anihilation, had this a few years ago and lost it

havent heard the 1st 3 yet as im still waiting on them :(
    but im looking forward to borknagars new one - origin, i really like their stuff, nearly all their albums are amazing bar the olden domain, not mad on that album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

i bought some Kiss-greatest hits album yesterday.........love it!
    Woo! Support the KISS army my friend!! :D I bet you can't listen to "I Was Made For Loving You" without laughing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Lil Kitten wrote:
    Woo! Support the KISS army my friend!! :D I bet you can't listen to "I Was Made For Loving You" without laughing!

Hmmmm....might have to dig that one out & listen to it again :p

There it is...dodgy disco rock! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I just got the latest Twisted Sister album, A Twisted Christmas. A very fine collection of dodgy festive covers, for the season thats in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

peter1892 wrote:
    Hmmmm....might have to dig that one out & listen to it again :p

There it is...dodgy disco rock! :D

I always picture Gene on stage kinda crawling along towards a camera trying to be seductive :D And the dooo doo dooo.... the band shimmying away and then of course, the whip part! hah! leather tastic.

Crack me up. I love it!

The actual music video is JUST bad as I had imagined! Cheese tastic. and a little scary :eek:

Enjoy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L83hoOyavQw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

gline wrote:
    borknagar - origin

have that, enjoyed it very much

brutal truth - need to control

final - 3 and negura bunget - om are ordered and should be mine early jan

Morf wrote:

i still havent recieved it yet, im dying to give it a listen :)

got no cds for christmas........bit diaapointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I went into town on Wednesday and bought the following:

Led Zeppelin: Houses Of The Holy, Symbols, II, III, Presence and next week I'm going to go and buy Physical Graffiti.

Robert Plant: 66 to Timbuktu, which I dont like so far.

Kyuss: Sky Valley, which I owned already but someone never gave it back.

Type O Negative: Life Is Killing Me.

ISIS: In the absence of truth.

Temple Of The Dog: Temple Of The Dog.

Tom Waits: Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and B*stards.

Morf wrote:

yeh i really like it, very atmospheric

buying Muse:Black Holes and Revelations, and Damien Rice:9 tomorrow

was gonna buy them st stephnes day but the line in virgin was like 50+ people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Recent purchases as well as stocking fillers...

Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies.
    Arch Enemy - Anthems Of Rebellion
    Lamb Of God - Sacrement.
    Boston - Boston.
    Joe Satriani - Super Colossal

Nice mix and all great albums. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Not a huge fan of Anthems of Rebellion but I'd imagine the Lamb of God album is good.

Only album I got for Christmas was "Leonard Cohen - I'm Your Man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Doctor J wrote:
    good call, just checking out some previews of this now, sounds excellent!!!

I really need to extend my collection to include some more metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

buying Muse:Black Holes and Revelations, and Damien Rice:9 tomorrow

was gonna buy them st stephnes day but the line in virgin was like 50+ people!

I work there! Sorry random I know, just thought I'd thrown it in... Oasis - Stop the Clocks

Not very metal I know

virgin in dundalk sucks..........everythings so dear!not your fault i suppose.............can i use your discount?

Final - 3
    Negura Bunget - Om (came with a nice dvd too which i have yet to watch)

Is the Final album good? I keep meaning to buy it but I don't know if my stereo will do it justice (if you've seen him live you'll know what I mean).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

The Blood Arm- Lie Lover Lie
    Albert Hammond- Yours To Keep
    The Mars Volta- Frances the Mute
    Kyuss- Wretch

Kyuss album is great, so heavy, raw, beautiful.
    Mars Volta one is also brilliant. Really like these lads, wanna get a few more albums now

bought today in xtra vision...........sale my arse only saved 5 euro according to the receit *laughs at 3 for 25 offer*

-Damien Rice-0
    -Weezer-Pinkerton
    -Foo Fighters-The Colour and the Shape

• Advertisement

John wrote:
    Is the Final album good? I keep meaning to buy it but I don't know if my stereo will do it justice (if you've seen him live you'll know what I mean).

i listened to about 5 or 6 songs, quite liked them but wasnt in the humour to listen to the whole lot in one go

Advertisement