Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know where Leitrim is?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 6:01am

Recently I was up in Dublin at a PD event.While enjoying the nightlife of Dublin,I got chatting to many Dubs(from both sides of the Liffey).

The shocking thing is 90% of the people did not know where Leitrim(My homeplace) was.One girl even suggested it was part of Kildare.Do they really not teach Geography inside the pale?:p

Another occasion was when a gang of Donnybrook hens came down.I was working n the pub and there happened to be a westmeath game on.One of th girls turns around to me and asks me
    Her:"Why do Meath get to have two teams in the all ireland?"
    Me:"sorry"
    Her:"You know,Westmeath and Meath.Really if they are allowed two teams,We should be allowed have a southside only team in the all-ireland!"

I then had to explain to hr that Westmeath and Meath were two different counties.

So how come Dublin people don't seem to have a grasp of their own countrys geograpy?Is it simply that ye don't give a toss about anything outide the pale?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's like the Yanks - we don't need to know about the rest of the place - they all eventually come here.
    :D

I had a class of first years who could not tell me what coast Galway was on. I went off on a bit of a mad teacher rant about kids in second class knowing that sort of thing and what are they doing in the primary schools, when a Chinese student in the country a year said 'What do you expect Miss, they don't even know their own language'.

He had a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

So how come Dublin people don't seem to have a grasp of their own countrys geograpy?
    The old joke goes that people from Leitrim actually resemble the shape of the county - broad at both ends and pinched at the middle.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Why would one need to know where Leitrim is...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Dub13 wrote:
    Why would one want to know where Leitrim is...?

Had to correct your post there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Presumably, The Dazzler, being from Leitrim, you know where in Dublin, Leitrim Place is located? :D

I agree with you that some people's ignorance is breathtaking. Take vehicle registrations for example. I've had trouble convincing ladies that KE is not for Kerry, LK is not for Letterkenny and SO is not for South Offaly. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I had a friend in College from Monaghan who had the following conversation:

Monaghan Girl: So where are you from?
    My mate: Limerick.
    Monaghan Girl: Oh, I love Tipperary!
    My mate: Huh? :confused:
    Monaghan Girl: Yeah, I've been to a few towns in Tipp but not Limerick town
    My mate: Limerick is a city in County Limerick...
    Monaghan Girl: Ha, good one, County Limerick, ha ha.
    My mate: No seriously, Limerick is a county...
    Monaghan Girl: Yeah right!

Only when we got an Atlas and showed her would she believe us...it's not just a Dub thing!

As for me, I've been to every county in Ireland and know where each one of them is and I'm a Dub.

It may be that you met some Dubs who were pulling your leg...we have a habit of doing that to our country cousins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Leitrim, I was there once...

I have absolutely nothing more to say about the place. I wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

To be honest, I wouldn't be so sure about where it is. I think it's over there on the left someplace. I have never been there, nor do I have plans to go there at any stage in the near future and I got something like 35% on a geography of Ireland test back in 4th class which is the one and only time I've been quizzed on the counties of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

near the middle is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It's no wonder we have so many stupid people in this world :rolleyes:

Leitrim has a coastline - not a lot of people know that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I am a Dubliner and I know where Leitrim is. I've been in it and the other 31 counties. Leitrim has the shortest coastline of any Irish county, between Sligo and Donegal, and it also has the smallest population of any county.

It is amazing how many Irish people cannot name the 32 counties, or know what province they are in. :confused: I've done this as an exercise in computer classes that I teach, as a way of laying out tables in a Word document. When trying to name counties it is also amazing how many people come up with the names of towns, thinking they are counties. People come up with "counties" like Athlone or Belfast among a host of others for example. People confuse counties too. The Meath and Westmeath one is a common one. People often correctly name some counties, but put them in the wrong province. I've had people from other countries being able to name more than some Irish people can. As an exercise for yourselves, see how many of the counties you can name off the top of your head - no atlases, searching the net etc. - and put in the correct province. Don't post it here, for fear of embarassing yourself. :) I'll post the correct list here tomorrow evening.

Slightly off topic but the amount of Dubliners who think Dublin shares a border with Louth is staggering!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It is not off topic. The thread has developed into being about the knowledge that Dubliners, and indeed other Irish people, have of their country's geography.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Flukey wrote:
    As an exercise for yourselves, see how many of the counties you can name off the top of your head - no atlases, searching the net etc. - and put in the correct province.
    I can do that, had to learn it back in primary school, by province as well. Shocks me that some people don't know where Leitrim is or can't tell Westmeath from Meath.[/high and mighty rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Slightly off topic but the amount of Dubliners who think Dublin shares a border with Louth is staggering!

It should with those Dubs up there. Only a sliver of Meath in the way. :p
    And I have been in Leitrim, a very fine and pleasant county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Leitrim has a coastline - not a lot of people know that. ;)

Sligo gave it that bit of coastline to create a control zone between it and Bundoran...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'm okay at most of the proper coastal counties but the whole middle is a bit of a blur... I only ever drive through it.
    (Sorry middle county people!) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Haven't a clue where Leitrim is to be honest. Going there for New Years though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

island_1998.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

How can anyone get out of senior infants and still not know where the counties in ireland are. thats really embarrassing.

My pops is from leitrim. I've been there a lot and its a cool place. Obviously not the party capital of ireland though. Its definitely becoming more popular these days because its one of the most unspoiled areas of ireland.

Important fact from school - leitrim has the shortest coastline in ireland.

Also, my granny down there used to make boxty, it was the best stuff ever. Does anyone on here still eat it? it doesnt seem to be common anymore. g'wan the potato!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

actually they are not tought as part of senior infants but later on in primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

hmm, well I learned early then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Most people, when asked to name them, remember Leitrim, but forget Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Im a dub, i know where it is... i do not think i have ever been there. I find it shocking that anyone in this country does not know where every county is... for feck sake we went through it all the way through primary school!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The other counties surrounding Leitrim should envelop bits of it until it is no more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Thaedydal wrote:
    island_1998.gif

That map is not very accurate they have Drogheda down as Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Leitrim, I passed through it once. My daughter got sick in the car, probably nothing to do with Leitrim, but I couldn't wait to get back to Dublin all the same..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Dub13 wrote:
    That map is not very accurate they have Drogheda down as Meath.
    Drogheda is on the border between louth and meath.

OP, you set the bar way too high.

Southsiders, do any of you know where glasnevin is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement