Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know where Leitrim is?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mairt wrote:
    probably nothing to do with Leitrim
    Don't go back, just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Leitrim, the lovely country full of woods and hills and lakes. (And mosquitoes, but we'll forgive it them.) Just don't try to cycle through it - it takes days, because people are so friendly that you're dragged in for a cup of tea every time you pass a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm not convinced Leitrim actually exists. It's all an ellaborate tax-scam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What does Leitrim add to the Irish economy...?

Who is the most famous person to come out of Leitrim in the last 20 years...?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dub13 wrote:
    Who is the most famous person to come out of Leitrim in the last 20 years...?
    Paul Williams?
    Professor Brendan Drumm CEO HSE
    The lads who won the Eurovision with 'Rock 'n' Roll Kids'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Dub13 wrote:
    What does Leitrim add to the Irish economy...?
    I hear they make a good cuppa

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

luckat wrote:
    Leitrim, the lovely country full of woods and hills and lakes. (And mosquitoes, but we'll forgive it them.) Just don't try to cycle through it - it takes days, because people are so friendly that you're dragged in for a cup of tea every time you pass a gate.
    Some people would consider that kidnapping.
    Guy cycling through: Er, yeah I really should be going . . .
    Leitrim Guy: It rubs the tea on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Paul Williams?
    Professor Brendan Drumm CEO HSE
    The lads who won the Eurovision with 'Rock 'n' Roll Kids'.

John McGahern
    Colm O'Rourke was born in Leitrim
    John Joe McGirl (IRA Chief of Staff
    Sean Mc Dermott (of Easter Rising fame)
    Eleanor Shanley
    Shane Flynn - Vice president of MBNA

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

stepbar wrote:
    John Joe McGirl IRA Chief of Staff

Now thats scraping the barrel big time.

The other counties surrounding Leitrim should envelop bits of it until it is no more.

and perhaps you should get out some more.....

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    Now thats scraping the barrel big time.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

stepbar wrote:
    He did say "in the last 20 years" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

The shocking thing is 90% of the people did not know where Leitrim(My homeplace) was.One girl even suggested it was part of Kildare.Do they really not teach Geography inside the pale?:p
    Let's face it, Leitrim is an obscure county. I know where it is and so do most people I know, but I can understand some people's ignorance.
    Another occasion was when a gang of Donnybrook hens came down.
    Many young D4 heads are self-absorbed fools. That explains the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Gurgle wrote:
    Southsiders, do any of you know where glasnevin is?
    Of course I do. you'd have to be truly stupid not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

One of my best friends is from North Leitrim, so I'd be killed if I didn't know where it is.
    Of course I knew where it was before, as I know where all the counties are.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

leitrim got their first traffic light about 2 and a half years ago. I read this in the paper at the time a friend wouldn't believe me so I had to bet a pint on it with him.

This conversation actually happened in the grounds of Trinity.... Girl 2 is related to me -

Girl 1 - What part of Dublin are you from?
    Girl 2 - Eh, Im not from Dublin... Im from Leitrim
    Girl 1 - Oh really.... <short silence while she gathers her thoughts>.... Ah well.... at least its along the East coast..... :D

Girl 1 was a southsider :D

Look Leitrim will never make the headlines for anything much apart from being the hideaway for Dubliners who dream of that large second home.... but not knowing where it is, what its main town is just pure ignorant and insulting TBH. It is to me anyhow, in fact if I met you I could prob tell you something about your county, someone I know or tell you about a time I was there etc etc.

People from Leitrim get about their job quietly and I know quite a few who are millionaires many times over. There are also quite a few who made their fortune in America and beyond. You wont hear about them in the news paper either. TBH if a county is judged by the amount of "famous" people that come out of it well then that is quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As someone said about Glasnevin:
    "It is the dead centre of Dublin." :)

Anyway, for the record, the provinces and counties are:

Leinster (12)
    Dublin
    Meath
    Kildare
    Louth
    Laois
    Longford
    Wexford
    Westmeath
    Wicklow
    Offaly
    Carlow
    Kilkenny

Ulster (9)
    Donegal
    Fermanagh
    Antrim
    Tyrone
    Cavan
    Down
    Armagh
    Derry
    Monaghan

Munster (6)
    Cork
    Kerry
    Waterford
    Limerick
    Clare
    Tipperary

Connacht (5)
    *Leitrim!!!!
    Roscommon
    Mayo
    Sligo
    Galway

An awful lot of people think Clare is in Connaught, because it is on the other side of the Shannon to the rest of Munster. That is the most common one that people mistake in terms of a county in a province.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

My mam is from Leitrim, just between Mohil an Cloone (sp?). When I'm sometimes down there maybe twice a year, our family normall head for Foxes pub.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

stepbar wrote:
    John McGahern
    Eleanor Shanley
    Shane Flynn - Vice president of MBNA
    Who?
    leitrim got their first traffic light about 2 and a half years ago. I read this in the paper at the time a friend wouldn't believe me so I had to bet a pint on it with him.
    It was taken down again.

• Advertisement

Who?.

Let me see... :rolleyes:

Na fcuk it go and research it yourself you lazy git....

It was taken down again.

Have you got a source for that?

The person in charge of putting it up, I found it to be a very solid source...

EDIT: unless they were joking, but it didn't sound like it...dunno.

The person in charge of putting it up, I found it to be a very solid source...

EDIT: unless they were joking, but it didn't sound like it...dunno.

Who would he/she be so? :confused: Do you have a name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

eirmail wrote:
    There was a set of traffic lights in Kiltyclogher 15 years ago, which apparently were the only ones in Leitrim at the time. Maybe they took them down again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Flukey wrote:
    As someone said about Glasnevin:
    "It is the dead centre of Dublin." :)

Anyway, for the record, the provinces and counties are:

Leinster (12)
    Dublin
    Meath
    Kildare
    Louth
    Laois
    Longford
    Wexford
    Westmeath
    Wicklow
    Offaly
    Carlow
    Kilkenny

Ulster (9)
    Donegal
    Fermanagh
    Antrim
    Tyrone
    Cavan
    Down
    Armagh
    Derry
    Monaghan

Munster (6)
    Cork
    Kerry
    Waterford
    Limerick
    Clare
    Tipperary

Connacht (5)
    *Leitrim!!!!
    Roscommon
    Mayo
    Sligo
    Galway

An awful lot of people think Clare is in Connaught, because it is on the other side of the Shannon to the rest of Munster. That is the most common one that people mistake in terms of a county in a province.
    I don't know where 9 of the counties listed are, including Leitrim, which actually surprised me as I thought it'd be more.

I blame my 1st to 3rd year Geography teacher, absolutely useless and bitter cow who made the subject an absolute pain.

rb_ie wrote:
    I don't know where 9 of the counties listed are, including Leitrim, which actually surprised me as I thought it'd be more.

I blame my 1st to 3rd year Geography teacher, absolutely useless and bitter cow who made the subject an absolute pain.

Thank God I got a good education thats all I'll say.... I dont know what school you went to but in fairness if you dont know the location of each and every county on the list above then its a sad reflection on the state of schooling in Ireland today........

stepbar wrote:
    Who would he/she be so? :confused: Do you have a name?

Didnt think you had..... doesnt surprise me cause you were talking out of ur arse in the first place :rolleyes:

No I wasn't, my name nor anybody I know is none of your business. It's rude to even ask.
    Go find out for yourself if you want to know if they are still there.

No I wasn't, my name nor anybody I know is none of your business. It's rude to even ask.
    Go find out for yourself if you want to know if they are still there.

Dont be talking out of your arse will ya :rolleyes: If you knew who it was you wouldnt have a problem saying, WOULD YOU? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

It doesn't have to be down to geography. We hear the names of counties and provinces every day, in all sorts of contexts. News, music, sport, poetry, talk, people, travel etc. People visiting the country never went to school here, but they know the locations and names of many counties. School and geography teachers should have very little to do with it. There are all sorts of sources for the information that we get every day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement