Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Wrapping" the gift of a weekend away - Ideas?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭

So I am taking my g/f to Rome in the New Year as her Christmas present. I know it is what she really wants (hints, hints!), but the trouble is I am trying to find a way to 'present' it to her Christmas morning.

Her tendancy is to buy me one big present and then around 9 smaller ones - so on Christmas morning last year it took me around 20 mins to open mine, hers took about 2. For her, as you can see, the wrapping of the present is very important.

So I am trying to find an original way to surprise her. Last year I made a 'coupon' for a weekend away, so that idea is gone. I thought about getting the Lonely Planet to Rome, but then her brother-in-law did this for her sister last year too (and so it is not original enough). I also thought about buying loads of little things, but my imagination could not come up with much more than pasta ... and we all know pasta is never easy to wrap (even raw). ;)

So, any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Wrap a packet of ROMA pasta :D

Or if you can get some tacky little 'souvenir' with Rome on it, like a mini Colosseum or something.

Or a picture of the Pope :D

Rome is beautiful btw, she'll love it - and so will you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭Archeron

Its probably a bit late now to dig up the corpse of a dead emporer, so I reckon the pasta is the best idea. Wrap about 40 individual pieces of pasta in their own bit of paper, and when she eventually has them all
    opened, use them to spell ROME on the floor. (and make sure no-one slips on them)

Agree with Miamee, its a magnificent city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Just had another idea ... what about an empty photo album, with captions like 'Us at the Colosseum'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Get the Lonely Planet for Rome, give it to her and say she'll need it when blah blah blah

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Genghis wrote:
    Just had another idea ... what about an empty photo album, with captions like 'Us at the Colosseum'?

Thats actually a great idea, if you have the time I'd deffo do that!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Do you have plane tickets? How about putting them in a little box, and then put that into a slightly bigger box and then put that into a slightly bigger box and repeat until she has about 5 or 6 boxed to open, like one of those dolls which I can't remember the name of :rolleyes: but you get the general idea..

xzanti wrote:
    Do you have plane tickets? How about putting them in a little box, and then put that into a slightly bigger box and then put that into a slightly bigger box and repeat until she has about 5 or 6 boxed to open, like one of those dolls which I can't remember the name of :rolleyes: but you get the general idea..

They are Russian dolls (nesting dolls I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,629 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Had a similer problem last year (but nowhere near as good a trip away!) but anyway 2 words;

Treasure trail!

Can have a first envelope with a question that has an easy enough answer (what typically goes with bolognase?) and then she goes to where the spaghetti is and theres another one, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭greine

miamee wrote:
    Wrap a packet of ROMA pasta :D

Or if you can get some tacky little 'souvenir' with Rome on it, like a mini Colosseum or something.

Or a picture of the Pope :D

Rome is beautiful btw, she'll love it - and so will you.

Picture of the pope:D put a beard and a hat on him, or better still, get a picture of the last 3 popes, dress them to look like the 3 wise men:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

phone a strippogram and have him turn up in a toga and deliver it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

miamee wrote:
    They are Russian dolls (nesting dolls I think)
    Matryoshka/Babushka doll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Thanks for all the suggestions! I like the treasure trail, will give it some thought.

LOL should've mentioned the girl is not Catholic, and I am. Pictures of the Pope might be taken the wrong way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

Some great ideas there! Photo Album, Lonely Planet, etc!

Advertisement