Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed Cameras on Sav Nav??

Options
  • 22-12-2006 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

This is a long shot but does anyone know is it possible to locate speed cameras on Irish roads on a sat nav?

Is there any add-on's you can buy?

Probably wishful thinking :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

SCDB claims to cover Europe but you probably cannot find out how good that coverage is until you pay them money. There must be free lists available somewhere but I've not found it yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

POIPlace seems to cover Ireland with a bunch of speed camera locations that people upload as they find them. They all download in .ov2 (TomTom?) format though so will need converting to load them onto another make of GPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well considering there is about 1 working speed camera in this country right now, i would not worry about it. When it goes private next year most of them will be mobile units apparently so it will not help you 100% even if it covers the fixed cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've been putting together my own list for a while..
    It also includes Garda raised platforms.

You can see it here, in Google maps: Garda HotSpots
    You can Pan, zoom in & out, etc..

If you want a copy (Either in Garmin GDB format, or GPX (GPS Exchange format)) just holler.

Remember, at the moment, there are sod-all speed cameras in Ireland, and i've only included the ones I've come across..

I loaded up a few of the cameras from POIPlace to my GPS for the UK yesterday and it seemed to be pretty accurate at notifying us of the cameras on the way back from the airport. It did keep coming up with warnings that we were speeding coming up to 30kph cameras as I'd forgotten to change it to miles though. There didn't seem to be a whole lot in their listings for Ireland though yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

My list has 6 speed cameras, 7 Norther Ireland speed and average speed cameras, and dozens of Garda platforms, is entirely free, and you can set them up as POIs.

Also, if anyone wants to send me additional camera locations, I'll keep the list updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Saruman wrote:
    Well considering there is about 1 working speed camera in this country right now, i would not worry about it.
    i wouldn't count on that. I saw a guy reloading one of the speed cameras on the N3 (the one near the fairyhouse junction) the other day.

that said, someone has burnt out the one between navan and kells. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

I just enter the locations as POI as and when i come across them, mobile included. Mobiles tend to return to near enough same places from time to time so even though i forget the unit dosent. Plus ive set the POI alarm for 1 mile alert. all legal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

eirlink wrote:
    all legal as well
    as opposed to speeding. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Krusty , any chance you could load the information on : http://www.poihandler.com/default.aspx. I've just found this site and am filling in POI's as I go along .

Perhaps if we all update it might be interesting ..

P.S . I'm using a TomTom GO910 and have just update to version 6.6 maps . Noe have 99% coverage of Ireland ..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

robinph wrote:
    SCDB claims to cover Europe but you probably cannot find out how good that coverage is until you pay them money. There must be free lists available somewhere but I've not found it yet.

If you pop a link from your blog/site to them they'll do it for free. Not too many cameras in their Irish section though their French list is on a par with radarsfixes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭MickH503

robinph wrote:
    POIPlace seems to cover Ireland with a bunch of speed camera locations that people upload as they find them. They all download in .ov2 (TomTom?) format though so will need converting to load them onto another make of GPS.
    Hi robinph, I'm a GPS rookie, so could you tell me how to install these .ov2 files to a Tom Tom One please?:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Here you go :

A Points of Interest (POI) database consists of:
    a file with extension .OV2 (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2)
    a companion file with extension .BMP (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp)

Back up your SD card or GO before you continue
    As a precaution, before you make any changes to your set-up (e.g. add POIs etc) then please ensure that you have a viable backup of your SD card. This is especially important if you have a TomTom Go 300 unit.

Step 1. Download the POI file
    Download the POI zip file. Save the file on your computer by selecting “save” when prompted. Save the file in a place where you can easily find it again for step 3 of the installation, e.g. on your Desktop or in My Documents. Unzip the contents.

Step 2. Connect your TomTom GO to your PC
    Connect your TomTom GO to your PC using the USB data cable. The USB cable is supplied with your TomTom GO product. Ensure that TomTom GO is powered using the AC adapter.

Your TomTom GO is now visible in "My Computer" as a "Removable Disk".

Step 3. Copy the POI files from your PC
    Go to the directory on the local hard drive of your PC where you stored or downloaded the unzipped POI database files (.OV2 and optionally .BMP files)
    Select and copy the POI database files.
    You must copy the (.OV2 and .BMP) files - do NOT copy the folders.

Step 4. Copy the POI files to your TomTom GO
    Go to "My Computer” on your PC;
    Go to "Removable Disk";
    Then go to the map directory, for example the folder "Great_Britain-Map"; and "paste" the POI files into this folder.

NB If you have a TomTom Go 700, with all of the maps of Western Europe in one place, then you use the "Western_Europe-Map" folder.

The POI files are now successfully copied to this folder. You are ready to use your new POIs on your TomTom GO.

Step 5. Display POIs on your TomTom GO
    Finally, to enable POIs in your TomTom GO select them in your POI categories:

Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Enable / Disable POI
    Select POI

They now are displayed on your GO screen in both 3D maps and 2D maps.
    Even if you do not display POIs on screen, you can now "navigate to" your Poi’s, find POIs near your location, etc.

Step 6. Set up Proximity Alerts (optional)
    Change Preferences | Manage (or Maintain) POI | Warn when near POI
    Select each POI in turn,
    Select the distance for warning
    Select the warning sound
    Uncheck the "Warn only if POI is on route" box
    Repeat until all POIs are set up to warn.

NB. If you check the "Warn only if POI is on route" box, then you will not be warned of POIs that you approach if:
    1. The POIs are slightly away from the road.
    2. You have no destination and therefore no route planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭MickH503

sharkman wrote:
    Here you go :

A Points of Interest (POI) database consists of:
    a file with extension .OV2 (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2)
    a companion file with extension .BMP (e.g. pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp)
    Thanks for that Sharkman - excellent instructions!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Zionist

Would anyone have the Garda Hotspots POI's in Garmin format got this a long time ago but since moved to a newer garmin thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Zionist wrote: »
    Would anyone have the Garda Hotspots POI's in Garmin format got this a long time ago but since moved to a newer garmin thanks..

You can get the Garda Hotspots from mypois.ie or you can get the speed camera locations from us www.irishspeedtraps.com

Advertisement