Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT - anyone got the deposit back off them?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine is having ongoing problems (for about 3 months) trying to get his deposit back from BT after leaving them. (He had been overcharged on his bill on a regular basis).

Countless calls, long periods on hold etc and they seem unable to simply refund the deposit back to his credit card.

He contacted the small claims court and was informed this claim is "not within their juristiction".

Has anyone had better luck getting the deposit back?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Why was it not within the SCC jurisdiction?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Now that surveys appears to be posting again on boards perhaps he could keep the promise he made months ago to ask BT why they do not provide a receipt for the deposit. At that time if I recall correctly he promised a reply within a day or two.

How a supposedly reputable company can get away with the way BT behave in respect of that deposit lark is truly beyond me:eek:

Perhaps if the friend contacted the Director of Consumer Affairs they might intervene on his behalf? Or even the Banking ombudsman seeing as how BT are now holding on to 'deposits'.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I got my deposit back after nearly 8 months of trying. I knew a couple of people who worked in there technical and billing department, still took up to 8 months. The only advise i can give is that you contact the billing department and ask to speak to a supervisor and get a contact number and pepper them with calls until some action is taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm pretty much in the same boat as your friend. Never had a correct bill from them and was constantly being over charged. Had to spend literally a couple of weeks every two months repeatedly making phone calls to get it sorted every billing period. Again it could take over an hour on average on hold to get through to them and even then I still got cut off quite a few times after 90 mins without talking to anyone.

eventually sent them an e-mail ( well 3 emails actually) and then 6 weeks after my e-mails requesting them to cut me off they finally cut me off about a month ago. I asked about my deposit and I was told I wasn't entitled to get it back.

Even from beyond the grave they were messing me about because they had my port blocked and made it impossible for anyone else to connect me up with broadband. Only back online a few days now after spending the past 4 weeks trying to get BT to actually put through the cancellation on their system to allow me to get set up with another provider.

If your friend has any luck pm me and let me know. Right now I'm just glad to be rid of them and haven't got the heart to follow up on my deposit. What BT do is nothing short of common theft. They must make as much money by overcharging people as they do from genuine bills.

Advertisement