Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Holidays...

Options
  • 22-12-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

...are here now. So that's half of the year over. How has it been going so far for all of yis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Holidays have been here since Wednesday for me. Year hasnt been that bad. Yes, a lot more work than ever before, but am keeping on top of it. Holidays have been great so far aswell: 12 hours sleep since wednesday night, Iron Maiden gig, a day of nothingness, got out a bit today and now its nearly Christmas:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Hey! hols are great got them from thurs officially but didnt go in. went shopping y/day then cinema went to see holiday! such a brill film, got my hair done and might go out tonight! the joys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Just got mine yesterday,and predebs last night. Had a bit of a lie in today:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Its been going well, I'm happy with my results. A1 in Biology, A2 in pass maths, 1% off an A in both French and Irish, B3 in History and C1 in English. No Xmas test in music since my teacher's away but the course is covered at this stage so I'm not too worried. I'm not killing myself with study though I go to the library every Saturday to get some work done. I find it very helpful. I guess one reason for working away now is that I don't want the pres to be a a wake up call.

But enough work for the moment. Christmas is here! Time to watch ****loads of movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

is anyone doin a bitta study over the christmas or is that just plain mad???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I am, mocks are in a month and a half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Your Man wrote:
    is anyone doin a bitta study over the christmas or is that just plain mad???

I did nothing over the xmas holidays last year. I went to new york on Christmas eve. ie this day last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I need to study now to make up for the lack of it over the last term.

The bastards didn't give us Xmas tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I was thinking, should i just not do any study on Christmas day at all? or will i squish 2 or 3 hours in??:confused:

You should be taking a break for at least this weekend. Study on Xmas day?? Are you mad??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was thinking, should i just not do any study on Christmas day at all? or will i squish 2 or 3 hours in??:confused:
    Please tell me you're taking the piss?

Dont even think about opening a book till after the New Year. Study on Christmas Day...whoah, never even thought people would think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Didn't get any done yesterday:(

But managed a decent 4 hours this morning :)

In all honesty, how do you study at this time of year? Are you going for 600 or something? Despite the fact Im still so very bored(dvd drive on s***** computer wont work), Im still not even driven upstairs to study. All books in one big pile which will be forgotten about again and again until next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

It's not how much you study, it's how you study. And if you're doing it right, you certainly wouldn't need 4 hours per day! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

I planned on studying in 5th year.. didn't happen. Can't even remember anything I did in school in 5th year anyway.

Planned to start studying a bit before school.. didn't happen.
    Planned to study for the first term (beforoe xmas).. didn't happen. A little bit for xmas tests. They didn't go brilliantly. Well only 2 subjects didn't go well.

I'm not gonne even TRY plan on studying over the xmas/new year break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Touché

oRlyYaRly wrote:
    It's not how much you study, it's how you study. And if you're doing it right, you certainly wouldn't need 4 hours per day! :eek:

I agree with this poster. I didn't exactly kill myself with study in the first term (only an hour and a half - 2 hours on weeknights and a few hours at the weekend). Just make sure your absorbing the information and acknowledging mistakes and you'll do grand. It certainly worked for me in my Christmas exam results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Hehe, here's me still up at 7.30am and not a book opened since the holidays started yet and there's crazy cats worrying 'cus they didn't study on Christmas day :)

Fobia, thats the spirit. Pretty much the same as me.

Steve 01, if an hour and half to 2 hours isnt killing yourselves, your putting a lot of people to shame. Think I did bout half an hour at most nearly everyday, maybe a bit more mostly. But none at weekends if I had a history essay(yup, every weekend pretty much).

Overall, Id say my studying appears similar to whatNehpets said. Except Im gonna try some next week, mostly 5th year Maths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I am in the same situation as Forbia and Mushy, as I havent done any "real" study yet except for a few maths questions I done on the last day before the holidays.
    I find it much easier to study for something like maths by doing the questions, which in fairness is the only REAL way to learn.
    I have a history writeup to do and so far its been left in my bag.

I reckon I will push up the studying to 2 hours a night with after school study but anything over that probably wont happen:D , Remember its the quality of your study which far exceeds the importance of quantity.
    In short do what you need to do to achieve your goal and leave it at that, dont feel guilty for not cramming in extra hours on christmas day for example(even if you need 500+ points)

This is a bit off topic but does anyone else think that history is just too time consuming, I mean I got a B in hons Business
    in the christmas tests by just doing my homework since september,whereas history commands more time than other subjects and just doesent pay off in my case.
    I will probably have to drop to ordinary history(looks alot more manageable) as i am not risking not getting into college over it, even though ordinary awards a lot less points, but I reckon it wont affect me too badly as I can compensate it with my better subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Nehpets wrote:
    I planned on studying in 5th year.. didn't happen. Can't even remember anything I did in school in 5th year anyway.

Planned to start studying a bit before school.. didn't happen.
    Planned to study for the first term (beforoe xmas).. didn't happen. A little bit for xmas tests. They didn't go brilliantly. Well only 2 subjects didn't go well.

I'm not gonne even TRY plan on studying over the xmas/new year break.

Exact same with me man. i have done no study during 5th year and i only studied the week before my xmas exams which went ok, major cramming was done, im planning to some study after new years but my cousin is staying with me at the moment so i wont get nothing done lol! im PLANNING to do alot of study from the day we get back to the leaving cert, but will it happen?

only time will tell....

Limerick Dude, from the sound of that post, you sound like someone exactly like me. So, unfortunately for you, no, it won't happen, sorry to say! But hey, ya could prove me wrong as Im even gonna try the same:O

So far these holidays, I havent even opened a book, its now Saturday morning, two days before we go back. Am I even concerned...not in the slightest. People realise me to be a lazy ****er, but I always get things done in the end, which goes unnoticed. so this LC will be no different. All I have to do is finish my history project before I go back really

I did about 2 and a half hours on average every day since Tuesday.

It wasn't too hard really, I just lounged around the house and drank tea and coke between it. I was out on a bit of a bender for 4 days previously, so it's not like I missed any enjoyment over the Christmas.

Some of my friends went to the Institute, I lol at them.

I got down to study on January 2nd. My main aim was to get my history essay written and thats now done and dusted. Of course I'll probably have to do it over another 10 times between now and April but at least there's some work done.
    Studied all other subjects as well, though I admit I absolutely despise studying English. If the work involves looking up sample answers online and reading over notes - thats grand. If it involves writing at length for hours on end - thats tedious as f*ck

Ba-zing, got some work done over the holiays. Ok, fair enough, it was only the history project, but thats more than I nearly ever imagined.

Anyway, its such torture now that the holidays are over. Im used to getting about 10 hours sleep everyday, and for me thats saying something. And tomorrow I've to get up at half 6, its inhumane. Think the consolation is that in 5 months, 1 week and 4 days...school will never be though of again, it'd be the evening of the 18th June, everything finished. Yay, its so close...and only 5 weeks till mid-term

Advertisement