Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Others

Options
  • 22-12-2006 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I've just finished reading We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriever. I was completely fascinated with it. I'm looking for the names of other books that deal with the subject of school shootings. Does anyone know of any, true or fictional?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Stephen King wrote a good one called Rage under his pseudonym (which I can't remember but it's now available under his real name). Fictional of course but very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

John wrote:
    Stephen King wrote a good one called Rage under his pseudonym (which I can't remember but it's now available under his real name). Fictional of course but very good.

Cool. Must check it out.

It's not Jonathan Kellerman, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No, it's Richard Bachman. Looks like Rage is getting harder to find because King wants it to go out of print following the spate of school shootings over the last ten years (with some of the perpetrators allegedly quoting the book). It's still in the collection The Bachman Books so I'd recommend getting it while it's still available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I've just finished reading We Need to Talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriever. I was completely fascinated with it. I'm looking for the names of other books that deal with the subject of school shootings. Does anyone know of any, true or fictional?

DVD related, you should check out "Bowling for Columbine" by Michael Moore..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bowling_for_columbine.jpg

I have bought "We need to talk about Kevin" by L Shriever, but I have yet to read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

hey nostradamus by mister coupland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Funny, I was just going to post about that book the other day. Finished reading it a few days ago and thought it was a great read too. At first I wasn't sure about the format (in letter form) but learned there was a reason for that and it still reads like a normal novel.
    Very hard to put down and the ending was quite shocking.
    Definitely recommended.
    Filmwise, isn't Elephant about the Colombine shootings? Gus van Sant directed I think.

DVD related, you should check out "Bowling for Columbine" by Michael Moore..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Bowling_for_columbine.jpg

I have bought "We need to talk about Kevin" by L Shriever, but I have yet to read it.

It's a struggle to get past the first 60 or 70 pages but it's so so worth is so please PLEASE stick with it. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's covers a range of taboo topics. Definately something for everyone within it's pages.
    People, you've been great. Keep 'em coming. *potters off to ebay to seek out bachman*. I've read 'We are not Monsters' by Sabrina Solin Weill. That too is a ****ed up but interesting read on teen life in America, particularly offenders and what not.

cashback wrote:
    Very hard to put down and the ending was quite shocking.
    Definitely recommended.
    Filmwise, isn't Elephant about the Colombine shootings? Gus van Sant directed I think.
    I was definately shocked by the ending. Not at all what I had accumulated in my head. Lets save the spoilers from those who haven't opened the pages. Whoever they me be are so lucky not to have started it yet. I envy that you have yet to unleash the drama.

WHOA!!!!! Have just been on to ebay! €193.73!!!!!
    Mr King can keep his book.

• Advertisement

€10.49 - www.play.com...SCORE!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I read we need to talk about kevin a few months ago too... I found it really gripping and definitely the freakiest book I had read in a long time (not even topped by Perfume, which is freaky in a different way and which I finished today...). I found it interesting as much for the way the school shootings and the profile of said 'school shooter' (other words/phrases which say this better are welcome to be posted;) ) as for the way Shriver described the mother and her feelings towards her son prior to his birth and throughout his life. Interestingly, I read in an interview with Lionel Shriver that she wrote the book while thinking about whether she should have children or not. She didn't really want to have any, and was imagining what the worst case scenario could be if she did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

Apt Pupil, by Stephen King, while not specifically about school shootings, would possibly also be of interest to you.

It's a struggle to get past the first 60 or 70 pages but it's so so worth is so please PLEASE stick with it. I promise you won't be disappointed. It's covers a range of taboo topics. Definately something for everyone within it's pages.
    People, you've been great. Keep 'em coming. *potters off to ebay to seek out bachman*. I've read 'We are not Monsters' by Sabrina Solin Weill. That too is a ****ed up but interesting read on teen life in America, particularly offenders and what not.

Yes was quite suprised to see that its in letter form.
    i will give it a chance though. thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre is in the same vein.

Filmwise Heart of America is about school shootings, but its by Uwe Boll a very dodge German director, still its watchable and not as artsy as Elephant.

Nea wrote:
    Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre is in the same vein.

Filmwise Heart of America is about school shootings, but its by Uwe Boll a very dodge German director, still its watchable and not as artsy as Elephant.

I'm reading Vernon God little at the moment... must log off here and read a bit actually.. seems as i have time off today for a change!
    :)

Advertisement