Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent cutting off router?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭

I've been having a problem lately with my Netgear DG824M router.

Whenever I try to download something with uTorrent, the internet cuts out.

The screenshot of DUMeter here shows it: http://i17.tinypic.com/2cwn75x.png

Once the torrent gets going and the speed picks up, it disconnects. I've tried limiting the download speed and number of connections uTorrent makes, but it still happens

I've tried it using the Zyxel 630 USB Modem that came with Clicksilver and there's no problem.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm having the same problem, does it cut out for a long period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

No, maybe 60 seconds or so. Although If I check my router settings during this time, it still shows as being "Connected".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Okay, not the exact same problem so. Mine tends to download for a half-hour or so, then conk out for twelve hours or so. Could be similar though.

See if this post can help you at all...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52527759&postcount=17

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I used to have the same problems, it started happening when i changed my motherboard to an ASUS A8R-MVP. I solved the Problem when i downloaded

"Marvell Yukon Ethernet Driver yk51x86v8.49.2.3 router fix.zip"

Let me guess you can leave the router alone, without powering it off or anything, and when you restart your pc then everything wotks fine again for a while?

Its actually the NIC that cuts out, if you remove it and then refresh it should come back fine.

You could try updating your NIC drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Okay, not the exact same problem so. Mine tends to download for a half-hour or so, then conk out for twelve hours or so. Could be similar though.

See if this post can help you at all...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52527759&postcount=17

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Routers have to keep a table of every request that goes out so it can translate it correctly coming back in. When you join a public tracker torrent, you try establishing hundreds of connections and your poor router breaks down. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

There's an easy fix to this problem. Just turn down the number of connections allowed in the utorrent preferences, it shouldn't affect your download speeds either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Setting a connection limit in your client wont stop your router from knocking itself out, as the connections from other peers still have to go through your router to get to the stage where they can be rejected.

My Zyxel router had this problem, until they finally got around to releasing an updated firmware for it.

Also, as another person pointed out, it could be your network card itself. I updated my driver through the windows update website, and that killed off my internet connection as well.

If your router still works (i.e. you can still play your ds online) while the computer is down, it's almost definately your network card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

slade_x wrote:
    I used to have the same problems, it started happening when i changed my motherboard to an ASUS A8R-MVP. I solved the Problem when i downloaded

"Marvell Yukon Ethernet Driver yk51x86v8.49.2.3 router fix.zip"

Let me guess you can leave the router alone, without powering it off or anything, and when you restart your pc then everything wotks fine again for a while?

Its actually the NIC that cuts out, if you remove it and then refresh it should come back fine.

You could try updating your NIC drivers.

This sounds like my problem. Those "router fix" drivers aren't for my network card ("Realtek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet NIC"), but I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Realtek.

I thought this would be it, but same problem. I also have the latest Netgear firmware (they haven't updated it in years though)

CatInABox, I did a check there to see what works and what doesn't work when it cuts out:
    All internet doesn't work.
    Accessing shared files on other PC on the network does work.
    But trying to access my router's web-based configuration (by going to http://192.168.0.1) does *not* work.

I've also tried limiting the number of connections in uTorrent (I did an extreme test, limiting max global connections to 10, and max per torrent to 5). The torrents still start downloading (much slower though), and it still cuts out after a few seconds.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Have you tried the latest firmware version for your router? You never know, there might be a fix out there.

Most home grade networking equipment can't handle P2P reliably but usually last a bit longer than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I had similar issues with our Linksys WRT54GP2 whenever we use any P2P programs. Somehow when we disable UPnP, the issue resolved. Dunno if this UPnP has any effect on other programs thou.

Mart

• Advertisement
Advertisement