Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to identify an "Unknown Device"?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 5:39pm

Hi,

just got my first ever not-"off the shelf" computer from ankermann.

At first there were two Unknown Devices, but when i realised that there was no sound playing, I simply downloaded the driver for the in built soundcard on my Motherboard.

But there is still one unkown device, and I cannot figure out what it is!

Please Could someone help me.

Firstly, the specs of the computer as ordered.

Article Nr: cpu_intel_duo
    Article Name: System: INTEL Core 2 Duo 1,86Ghz<br> E6300 FSB1066 S.775 2MB
    Equipment:
    - INTEL Core 2 Duo E6400 2,13Ghz FSB 1066 S.775 2x2MB: EUR 45.99
    - MSI P965 Platinum (P/S/GBL/SATA/DDRII): EUR 84.90
    - PCI-e 256MB ATI RADEON X1600-Pro TV-out- DVI: EUR 66.20
    - SATA-II 300 GB MAXTOR 6V300F0 (7200rpm-16MB): EUR 53.90
    - 256MB DDR-II RAM G-Skill CL4 533MHz
    - DDR-II upgrade from 256MB to 1024MB TRANSCEN PC667: EUR 79.90
    - DDR-II RAM 1024MB TRANSCEN PC667: EUR 99.90
    - LIGHTSCRIBE SAMSUNG 16x DVD-RW DL SH-S162L/BEBN (CaseColor): EUR 32.90 (Not on the computer, have e-mailed them about this, simply a case of forgetting i guess)
    - DVD-Drive IDE Samsung 16x/52x SH-D162C/BEWE (CaseColor): EUR 15.90
    - Floppy Drive: EUR 6.50
    - Black/Blue Case 07A: EUR 0.00
    - Intel CPU cooler
    - 400W BESTPOWER SuperSilent-Temp Controled: EUR 7.00
    - Realtek ALC888 8 channel audio
    - 10/100 Ethernet LAN

I have attached what the Device Manager has listed for components,

Hoping someone can shed some light on my unknown device!

thanks

Emmet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Try the Unkown Devices utility.

Not getting anywhere with that I'm afraid, it doesn't have any listed unknown devices.

I'm getting a Code 28 (need to install drivers for it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

emmet

got mine to-day - thks again for pm

did u use the driver cd u got with the system? it has all the mb drivers.

john

Yes I did, but i cant install the driver for something when I don't know what it is! :D

Is there anything I can do without cracking open the case and checking parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi goto device manager and unistall it.reboot and when it looks 4 a driver let it search the mobo cd 4 a driver.not 2 sure but i think code 28 could be 2 do with sound.

• Advertisement

Code 28 just states that there is no driver installed.

I'll try that tomorrow, but i don't think that i can uninstall anything on it, it's just sitting there, waiting to have its driver installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

goto control panel and use add/remove hardware and try that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Simplelest way. just reinstall all your drivers on top of them selfs. It will cause no harm, And hopefully ort things out ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

go to the device in device manager (devmgmt.msc from run), select properties on the device, and click the details tab.

The Device Instance Id should tell you what it is, it's usually in the shape of:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0057

Where PCI is the bus it's on

Ven is the Vendor (nvidia in this case, Intel have 8086 :))

Dev is the device ID

Usually a quick google on the string: VEN_10DE&DEV_0057 (for example) will tell you what the device is, or at least point in the right direction for the inf file to install it.

It could be a driver for the motherboard monitoring chip, at a guess.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

As said above, start from the top and reinstall all of the drivers from the cd. Think the lat time that happened to me was the chipset and a card reader.

• Advertisement

It's

Root\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0

The only things google turned up was that it had something to do with a virus

:(

Can you please run hijackthis. And report the log here so we can see.

But from Root\*PNP0501\1_0_17_0_0_0 I can tell its com port 1. And the device cannot start.

No big deal. Your not conna use it anyway

If you really want it on. Go to your bios and enable it.

Never gonna need it?

Thats okay then.

The computer had AVG anti virus, and AVG Anti- Spyware, and Kerio Personal Firewall installed before connecting to the internet.

Can't really see how a virus could've got in...

For the lazy people:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 13:54:35, on 24/12/2006
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.5730.0011)

Running processes:
    H:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe
    H:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    H:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4ss.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    H:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4gui.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    H:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4gui.exe
    H:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
    H:\Program Files\Sweex\SWU.exe
    H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
    H:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
    H:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
    H:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    H:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\FxSvr2.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
    H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe
    H:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
    H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    H:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    H:\Documents and Settings\Ronan\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [JMB36X Configure] H:\WINDOWS\system32\JMRaidTool.exe boot
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "H:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe" runtime -Delay
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SWU] "H:\Program Files\Sweex\SWU.exe" -nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LVCOMSX] H:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] H:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoTray] H:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "H:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] H:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "H:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] H:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = H:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://H:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - H:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O11 - Options group: [INTERNATIONAL] International*
    O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - H:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - H:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
    O23 - Service: Sweex Configuration Service (ACS) - Unknown owner - H:\WINDOWS\system32\acs.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - H:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - H:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - H:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - H:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4 (KPF4) - Sunbelt Software - H:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\Personal Firewall\kpf4ss.exe

That looks clean to me, Cant see anything wrong with it at all.

My advice ! dont worry about it and ignore it. Its not causing any harm to your pc or software.

grand so. I'll leave it as is.

Just one more question, since you'v been most helpful,

Every so often I'll load something on the harddisk (H drive) and I'll get a "disk not inserted" error, even though its the HD I'm loading off of.

Ring any bells with any problems you know about?

Cant say it does sorry. But i would try a defrag, and checking the cables to make sure they are in correctly. Also is this drive sata or ide ? if its ide are there two hds on the same chanel, have you set them to master / slave correctly ?

And why is your primary drive H: ?

Thats just how it was set up.

i have an optical drive, and then my Card Reader has a different Drive letter for each slot.

So H was the next availible one..

Thats just how it was set up when i got it.

Have not yet had to open the case, and would prefer to keep it like that, until my problem with not having my second DVD Drive is sorted with the company. That way I can prove that I couldn't have just removed it.

It's not a major problem anyway, just a nuisance.

Thanks for the help

Emmet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you got any drive listed for 'C' under My Computer?

You can disable the com ports in the bios (I usually disable the com and parallel ports as it frees up a miniscule amount of memory :))

• Advertisement

Yeah I have a C drive, no B drive though...

You dont need a B drive..... I havent used a B drive unless a secondary floppy in years.

Seriously, the need to panic is over. Your pc is grand. Nothing wrong. Move along. Christ just forget about it. ect ect ect.

Unless your pc is adversly effected, like random reboots or BSOD's or system hangs. Really dont worry about it. It is nothing crucial at all.

I know yeah, I'm not worried.

just thought that maybe I should be looking to have a my Hard Disk as the C drive.

Don't mind it being a H though.

I dont see why it is H: though windows installs as C: under all circumstances.

anyway, no matter, happy xmas btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Sounds like whoever installed Windows was lazy or did it in a wierd way, anyway..

Too me the missing device sounds like its probably a motherboard driver problem. The guy who installed Windows probably didnt install the manufacturers drivers, and just let windows find it themselves, which means not all the devices on the mother board are working fully. Go to your motherboards manufacturers and download the drivers for your board, and it will probably disappear.

For the H: drive thing, what exactly is the C: drive at the moment?

just a slot on the multi-card reader

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

have bad news - i installed windows on my new anlermann pc and was surprised to see my primary hard drive as something other than "C". I though it didnt matter - everything seemed to install and play / run fine but then the gremlins struck !!!

1- The backup of the BF2142 Download was expecting to see a "C" drive and wouldnt work which meant a fresh 2 gig download

2- Lexmark printer software would not install from the disk as it was hardcoded for a C drive

Decided that really a C drive is the norm - so bit the bullet and reinstalled windows - only this time I made sure any usb devices were NOT ATTACHED - and this time the hard drive was C

If you can ensure your hard drive is the Master (Last) connection on the Primary connection you should be fine - I think the last device is the master and the 1st one is the slave but could be wrong

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I had an unknown device on my Bad Axe until I disabled intel quick resume in the bios. This is part of the intel spec for viv and really only supported by oem's. Maybe your mobo has that enabled.

I have also seen unknown device pop up on some Asus boards where they expect your to install a power management/monitoring util. This is tied into acpi I think. Maybe there are some utils on your msi cd you need to install.

Buzz_Irl wrote:
    have bad news - i installed windows on my new anlermann pc and was surprised to see my primary hard drive as something other than "C". I though it didnt matter - everything seemed to install and play / run fine but then the gremlins struck !!!

1- The backup of the BF2142 Download was expecting to see a "C" drive and wouldnt work which meant a fresh 2 gig download

2- Lexmark printer software would not install from the disk as it was hardcoded for a C drive

Decided that really a C drive is the norm - so bit the bullet and reinstalled windows - only this time I made sure any usb devices were NOT ATTACHED - and this time the hard drive was C

If you can ensure your hard drive is the Master (Last) connection on the Primary connection you should be fine - I think the last device is the master and the 1st one is the slave but could be wrong

Hope this helps

Hmm, after a few weeks of constant problems with "No disk" errors, I'm thinking I'll have to change my drive to a C drive. I'll effectively have to reinstall windows. Anything else? I'm more of a "after the setup" kind of computer user. Not much in the know how of how to do this.

By reinstalling windows, will i be losing all my files?

Also, at present i have a 300gb drive with no partition. i was kind of hoping to have it set up like my laptop, Partition it with 10Gb or so Just for Windows to run on, and then the rest for files and other programs. This way, if anything goes hugely wrong with windows, i'll just have to re-install it yeah?

Once again, this would be my first time attempting anything like this. So all help would be appreciated.

Emmet

• Advertisement

Give the c: partition at least 20GB, i'd personally give it 40GB, which gives plenty of space for Vista and a few programs, then use the rest for files.

Then move all the files from the old disk to the new big partition.

When installing windows, physically unplug the old drive (you can't kill it by mistake this way), and any card readers you have, once you have created the partitions, check that it's down as c:, if not, reboot and restart setup, and it will give the first partition c: (sometimes another device will take c: if no partitions are defined).

If your data is valuable, think about backing it up to another device, e.g. USB key.

Advertisement