Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend Premiership Fixtures ( may contain scores )

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Arsenal 6-2 , Flamini . That's 27 goals and Wigan v Chelsea still to come .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ah what a great 2nd half :)

Ronaldo was without a doubt MOM, with the first and last goal, and some magical football including winning the corner Scholes scored from.

Scholes with a magical magical strike :)

Top at Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

United played well in the second half, I was impressed. All eyes on Chelsea now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

If Wigan do us a favour, I will be a happy bunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If Wigan do us a favour, I will be a happy bunny.
    No chance of that, they are muck and 2-0 down after 31 mins.

Utd were class in the 2nd half, picked them off brilliantly.

Ronaldo struck me from the 1st ten mins as the only player 'in the mood', it was superb after scholes's screamer, such an effortless finish, class :D

I'm officially proposing to Heskey, legend! Just ten more mintutes please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sizzler wrote:
    No chance of that, they are muck and 2-0 down after 31 mins.

That certainly was the case for the first 40 minutes but Wigan equalised in first half injury time and have been on top since. Hesky made it 2-2 with his second although he looked offside. Chelsea made 2 subs with 10 minutes to go and are pushing for a winner now. Great game to watch especially in HD on a 90" screen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

woohoo, 2-3. Robben

I hate Chelsea, it's like they let people score so that they can come back and win, just to annoy me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Robben

3-2 to chelski

DAMN YOU!

PHB wrote:
    I hate Chelsea, it's like they let people score so that they can come back and win, just to annoy me

:D

I think Mourinho got bored and bought a Kevin Keegan management video.

Big Kevs 1st rule of management: Clean sheets are bad, mmmmkay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Yet again, Might aswell give Chelsea the premiership now.

I know everyone hates them, and wont like to congratualte but i will. They have shown just how good they are in the last month or so. Absolute quality. Late goal at Arsenal, Everton, Newcastle and now Wigan. Truly the stuff of champions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What annoys the hell out of me is why did Wigan sit back and put everyone behind the ball after they got their equaliser? They were totaly bossing the game but yet they bring on a defender and sit back. This is asking for trouble and I am actually kind of happy Chelsea scored because of the pure stupidity f the tactics Wigan used at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yet again, Might aswell give Chelsea the premiership now.

I know everyone hates them, and wont like to congratualte but i will. They have shown just how good they are in the last month or so. Absolute quality. Late goal at Arsenal, Everton, Newcastle and now Wigan. Truly the stuff of champions.
    They were very lucky in 3 of those matches ,they played very poor football for most of the matches .
    They are getting alot of breaks too .

They were very lucky in 3 of those matches ,they played very poor football for most of the matches .

Just like Utd did for years. It's not really luck tbh. Playing badly and still winning is the sign of a top team. If you put on enough pressure you will eventually score.

• Advertisement

Well, that's not actually the stuff of champions.
    Champions play well most of the time, but when they play poorly, they still grind out results with late goals. That's wht United used to do, win with style, and then win with grinding out results.
    Chelsea have been playing poorly most of the time, but grinding out results with late goals. They are getting by on moments of magic from players, previously Drogba and Essien mostly, but today Robben. Chelsea are just grinding out results, it's very different.
    If they don't improve their form, they will eventually not get the moments of magic in some game, and drop points.

PHB wrote:
    Champions play well most of the time, but when they play poorly, they still grind out results with late goals. That's wht United used to do, win with style, and then win with grinding out results.
    Chelsea have been playing poorly most of the time, but grinding out results with late goals. They are getting by on moments of magic from players, previously Drogba and Essien mostly, but today Robben. Chelsea are just grinding out results, it's very different.
    If they don't improve their form, they will eventually not get the moments of magic in some game, and drop points.

They played well againt Arsenal i thought. I havent seen the evertonn newcastle or wigan game. But to come back twice against away you have to be doing something right. Again 2-0 up against Wigan, thats not playing well?

Didnt they have a perfectly good goal disallowed just before wigan equalised? Wouldnt excactly call that lucky.

PHB wrote:
    Very well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Just watching th epremiership there, how has fabregas still not scored this season?(apart from the cl qualifiers), although he is fairly racking up the assists

what 3 matches were they lucky in, and what breaks did they get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The only break this evening was the Wigan equaliser, which was so blatantly offside it was laughable.

They played well againt Arsenal i thought. I havent seen the evertonn newcastle or wigan game. But to come back twice against away you have to be doing something right. Again 2-0 up against Wigan, thats not playing well?

Of course coming back to win games is doing something right, I'm not saying they aren't doing something right, I'm saying they are doing that thing right, but not doing the other aspect right.

Obviously winning 2-0 vs. Wigan is playing well, but that wasn't the result, ending up winning 3-2 against them is playing poorly. They are winning, and scoring the magic goals at key times, which is very important, but they aren't playing well overall, in the last couple of league games.

They aren't doing what United used to do, which was demolish some teams 3-0 no bother, and then scrap 1-0 or 2-1 victories, they are just scraping the victories, and eventually, in some games, you just won't scrap them.

If they continue this sort of form (which I'm not sure they will after they strength in January), they will not beat United, as in some games, the moment of magic just won't come.

what 3 matches were they lucky in, and what breaks did they get?
    Against Arsenal Essiens goal came from a blatant foul by Ashley Cole
    Everton should have had 2 penalties against Chelsea not just the one.
    These are big big breaks .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

These things usually all balance out, or near enough. Fact of the matter is Chelsea won tonight, and have been winning whilst not playing well. United have been playing well and winning plenty as well.

The gap is two points and it will remain close for a while yet I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

scholes - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ukquCzx64

i was at villa park for this game yesterday and that was one of the sweetest moments i have ever seen at a game. united were awesome at times yesterday. ronaldo got some stick but he seemed to get stronger and stronger and eventually they got sick of booing him as he was on the ball ever time that united attatcked. he was mom, followed by scholes and evra. perfct performance to make up for last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Against Arsenal Essiens goal came from a blatant foul by Ashley Cole
    Everton should have had 2 penalties against Chelsea not just the one.
    These are big big breaks .
    And what about Wigan's second which was clearly offside today?

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

PHB wrote:
    Of course coming back to win games is doing something right, I'm not saying they aren't doing something right, I'm saying they are doing that thing right, but not doing the other aspect right.

Obviously winning 2-0 vs. Wigan is playing well, but that wasn't the result, ending up winning 3-2 against them is playing poorly. They are winning, and scoring the magic goals at key times, which is very important, but they aren't playing well overall, in the last couple of league games.

They aren't doing what United used to do, which was demolish some teams 3-0 no bother, and then scrap 1-0 or 2-1 victories, they are just scraping the victories, and eventually, in some games, you just won't scrap them.

If they continue this sort of form (which I'm not sure they will after they strength in January), they will not beat United, as in some games, the moment of magic just won't come.
    I agree with PHB's description of what they are doing - always grinding results and rarely blowing teams away with stylish football.
    But I would say that since they have so many players suited to this style (Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Drogba etc.) and they are built around this philosophy that they have a good chance of making it work all season. And they have been very impressive when they've needed to come back against big teams - Barca, Arsenal, Man U.
    If Man U get some good midfielders in in January I'd say there is a good chance of it going down to the wire.

..and.. what a goal from Scholes!
    MUFC!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote:
    Just like Utd did for years. It's not really luck tbh. Playing badly and still winning is the sign of a top team. If you put on enough pressure you will eventually score.

Thought it was scoring and not conceding that was the stuff of champions.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

KdjaCL wrote:
    Thought it was scoring and not conceding that was the stuff of champions.

kdjac

Getting more points than anyone else over a season is the stuff of champions (apart from Arsenal in '89!) - anything else is the icing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

SCULLY wrote:
    Getting more points than anyone else over a season is the stuff of champions (apart from Arsenal in '89!) - anything else is the icing.

Shelbourne in 2006 :)

Its the little things ,winning 1-0 and playing ****e etc:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

KdjaCL wrote:
    Shelbourne in 2006 :)

2006? What did we do wrong this season? :eek:

Advertisement