Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panadol for a Dog

Options
  • 22-12-2006 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

My dog tried to chase after a cat which ran by the kitchen window last night.

I thought he dislocated his back legs but after bringing him to the vet and got
    x-rays, she thinks that it might just be sever pulled muscles.

So I was wondering is it okay to give him a panadol? Just one?

Ill be heading into the vet again tomorrow but he is in quite a bit of pain so I'd like
    to give him just one panadol.

What do you folks think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would ring the vet and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No, they can be poisonous to dogs. Bring your dog to the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

NO!1! Absolutely not! Panadol is possibly the most posionous pain-killer for dogs, and even worse for cats.

Did the vet not give you pain meds for the dog? Or perhaps he has already had an injection of painkiller so mixing with Panadol would be disasterous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

He is on Anti-inflammatory medication.

Thats why I came here to ask. I'm not really experienced with sick dogs. I gave
    him half a breast of chicken so he was pleased with that..

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be bringing him to the vet tomorrow so I hope she
    gives him something. I hate when they keep whining :(

Cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

I don't think vets like giving pain killers to dogs, presumably cos they are not safe. My parents' dog had to have her leg amputated and she was only given five days painkillers and even at that we had to reduce the amount she got after day one. The first couple of days the dog did seem uncomfortable but after that she was managing well. I remember years ago my parents gave a disprin to another dog and it paralysed his hind legs for about 12 hours.

• Advertisement

Just keep him comfortable til tomorrow the poor fella!

Panadol is just another anti-inflammatory so it would be like double-dosing - as well as it being risky in pets.

Be sure to let the vet know that he was still in pain despite the anti-inflammatoris so she can adjust the dose if needed. They might take a while to kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

If hes in pain ring the vet and there will be an emergency number on the answer phone if hes closed.
    Paracetamol is not a drug that should be used for dogs unless under vets supervision, Dogs (particularly small dogs) are very susceptible to significant tissue and liver damage from as little as one normal strength Panadol or Paracetamol.

B

He is a small dog alright.

I had to sign a sort of contract which stated that the adverse effects of the
    drugs that the vet might give him is something they wont be held responsible.
    Something like that. This was in the emergency clinic in UCD last night.

I spent 10min getting him out the front to take a pee. The bugger tried to cock
    his leg up but couldnt manage :( Last time he went was about 12 hours ago...

He couldn't really make it back into the house because of his leg so I went to
    pick him up and the bugger bit my hand lol I guess i hurt him and he decided to
    tell him to f*** off in his own language. But after he realised what he done he
    suddenly started hobbling back into the house lightning quick, it was so funny!!
    Bless...

Damn hand is gonna have a nice bruise.

This is the little patient himself:
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~darragh/junk/dog2.JPG
    http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~darragh/junk/dog3.JPG

He gorgeous!

He was probably sedated for xray and that's what the consent form would have been for - same as you sign yourself if being anaesthetised.

You're really supposed to see your own vet the next day having been in the Pet Emergency Hospital so definitely bring him tomorrow.

He shouldn't really be in so much pain as to be crying so if you feel he is getting worse ring again for advice. However it is actually unwise to give a dog with orthopaedic injuries so much pain relief as to make them completely pain free as they tend to forget they are injured and so over-exert themselves and do more damage.

He can't be too bad if he's eating chicken breasts anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had to sign a sort of contract which stated that the adverse effects of the drugs that the vet might give him is something they wont be held responsible. Something like that. This was in the emergency clinic in UCD last night.
    I've had to do that before for some drugs .. I seem to remember that there are drugs that are not formally cleared for veterinary use here in Ireland, but which are in other countries including the UK .. don't ask me why. The vets here use them but ask you to sign a disclaimer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

kinda standars practice in all vets to sign to allow treatment and for the vet to do his/her job. The DAEC is a great facility to have and you should of been advised to go to your own vet the next day. Also vets don't like giving dogs too many pain killers as they dont understand they have to rest. They like them to still feel a bit of discomfort as it stops them from doing too much when they should be resting. Oh and what a cutie doggie!!! how old is he/she?

People really need to learn not to give their animals human medication. It is so easy to over dose them. Once had a phone call from a person who had been giving her dog Advil for two weeks, also another classic, a dog had a cough so a person was giving it benylin.. or how ever you spell it!!!

Maybe we should start a old wives tale thread, where people can ask questions so as to not keep the place flooded with threads about them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

My vet gave us a perscription for baby asprin for my Jack Russell we had to go to the local chemist to pick them up :) , they haven't done any harm to her, she got them because she hurt her leg. Any time she seems to be in pain we give her one and she's happy as larry.:D
    Just check with the vet first before you give your dog any sort of pain relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I used to give one of my dogs half a Neurofen plus from time to time because she suffered from arthritis, obviously I checked with my vet first and he said it was O.K. Within hours she used to be flying around the place like a puppy again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Some drugs used to treat animals are much the same used for human. However, they would be adjusted according to weight and effects wanted.
    For example, diazapam (valium) is used to relax/calm an animal.

But in fairness, if you think about giving your meds/over the counter meds to an animal without professional advice is plain silly. You don't know the effects the meds can have on the animals body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

My dog tried to chase after a cat which ran by the kitchen window last night.

I thought he dislocated his back legs but after bringing him to the vet and got
    x-rays, she thinks that it might just be sever pulled muscles.

So I was wondering is it okay to give him a panadol? Just one?

Ill be heading into the vet again tomorrow but he is in quite a bit of pain so I'd like
    to give him just one panadol.

What do you folks think?
    Why didn't the vet give you medication for your dog at that time?

BreadBoard wrote:
    Why didn't the vet give you medication for your dog at that time?

Cant help but wonder that myself.
    Surely the vet should have prescribed pain killers if they were neccesary?

Be sure to tell your vet that you feel he is in pain, in fairness to the vet, they only see the animal for minutes, in a enviroment where the discomfort the animals feeling may be overriden by fear or excitment temporarily.
    You see and hear him morning noon and night and know when and how often he is in pain on an average day.

B

Well the OP did say the dog was on anti-inflammatory medication so the vet did give him painkillers.

To be fair, the DAEC is only an emergency service so they see the animal and do any tests or treatments that need to be performed immediately but you are supposed to go back to your own vet (who is aware of the animals full history etc.) the following day. They would generally only issue a short-term supply of any drugs as they are really unaware of the animals previous illnesses/injuries or ongoing treatments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

correct they do only give enough meds to last till the next time their own vets is open. This is to ensure that the pets proper follow up treatment!

woops forgot to log out of my other halfs account!!!!

jules80

We got anti-inflammatory medication off the emergency vet.

The next day we went to our vet and she gave us some more medication. Pain
    killers I think.

He is getting better day by day. But the vet said he wont be at his best for
    another 3 months and probably wont ever be back to 100% again.

Right now he is happy as larry watching TV and eating bonnio's. But I think
    he gets bored after a while :confused: Do dogs get bored?

I thought he was bored this morning so I took him out the front. Took a while
    to get him out so when I got him out I had toast and coffee out there with him
    for about 20min. He just lay down and popped his head up every few minutes to
    look at people. He went number one and two out there so thats great! He can't
    bend his back legs or cock them so its good that he figures out a work around.

He is 8 years old. Those pics are just before X-mas last year I think.

We rescued him from a cage of pups in smithfield market. Actually my sister
    and dad did. I was in work. He had his tail foxed before we got to him. He was
    in the usual state for a dog of that background. Usual is too comfortably of a
    word to use but I wont talk about his past when its X-mas and he is in a great
    mood and getting better! :D Most of us know what state those dogs do be in
    anyway.

He likes cricket and hates football. I just don't get that lol

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

poor fella he's gorgeous....Its terrrible to see them suffering. I hope he heals up well.....

• Advertisement

I know it can be heart wrenching to see them semi-immobile and bored (and yes, they get bored).
    By far the best thing you can do is try and sit beside him giving him lots of attention (even if its just watching tv with him beside you) will make the time fly by for him. :)

Keep an eye on his weight might be an idea, I know its hard not to give him loads of treats when hes like this, specially at xmas, but unfortunately dogs can put on weight very quickly when immobile and that wont help his condition later on. ;)

B :)

We bought another box of bonnios for him :D He is putting on a good bit of
    weight. Festively plump! :)

Ill try sit down with him today and watch some TV(hope cricket isn't on)

I got new homer simpson slippers for X-mass so he has been preoccupied with them lately.

Advertisement