Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New rifle

Options
  • 22-12-2006 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Just after buying a new CZ 452 Varmint in .17hmr

Paid €460 for it seemed a little bit to much but got a good deal on a trade in so wasnt bothered much. Sean in urlingford quoted me €575:eek: dont know what that was about took my business elsewhere anyway.

FAO is on duty tomorrow morning will be in to get the cert changed cant wait stock on the new gun has a really nice grain will post pics when i get it.

-=EDIT=-

Just after picking up the new rifle. Have to give credit to Griffin Hawe gave me a fantastic deal and threw in a box of ammo, mounts and a cleaning kit. Couldnt be happier heres a few pics doesnt really do the stock justice.

th_DSC00452.jpg th_DSC00451.jpg th_DSC00450.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

congrats, a nice little xmas pressy there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I am planning on making my first buy sometime in the new year
    (new only) I want to wait a while as I only paid my
    membership fees for the club I joined last week so want
    to at least build up a bit of experiance first and get to know people
    etc. (providing I have no trouble getting a licence)

Anyone know the differences between the 452 and the 453 ?
    From what I can tell the 453 is a 2006 model so it may
    have some improvements??

Also out of all the different models of 452's which is
    the best if you want to shoot paper targets?

I dont see info telling me what advantages one model
    has over another.

When looking at the CZ 452 manuals and websites I get
    conflicting info on what I can get when it comes to all the features
    I want. Some appear not to have an ajustable trigger, some models
    your cant get plastic stock, some the barrell is not blued and some
    are simply not chambered for .17.

Ideally I want .17HMR with Black Stock and adjustable trigger with
    a blued barrell. Preferably with an American style stock with no iron sites.
    (I dont know if I could get a heavy barrell too and if its recommended or not
    for just shooting at static targets.)

I decided I am gonna go .17 HMR. If I want to fire .22LR while
    at the range the guy I will be shooting with lets me use his.
    Were sharing until I can get my own rifle and .17 will offer us a bit of
    variety.

I read last night someplace (cant remember where) that some poeple
    reckon the round is on its way out and there were reports of having
    boxes of the rounds where the cases had bulges or deformations on them
    straight out of the box.

EDIT found a link with pics of case bulges:
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162297

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

bullets wrote:
    I am planning on making my first buy sometime in the new year
    (new only) I want to wait a while as I only paid my
    membership fees for the club..............

the difference between 452 and 453 is the 453 has a set trigger, this is to remedy the 452's main problem (brutal trigger) its very heavy with a lot of creep.
    there is a heavy barrel version (i've never seen 1) which would really help it to group consistently .
    if i was buying another .22 CZ it would be a 453 in varmint configuration (heavy barrel, no irons and target style stock) its unlikey a dealer would have one so you would have to order it
    or a better option is buy a finnfire:D :D (recent convert to the glories of the sako after 14 years with 452s)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

AFAIK available CZ's on .17 are

American
    Sporter barrel, checkering on forearm, wooden stock, gloss finish on barrel and reciever

Varmint
    Heavy barrel, wider forearm for bech rest, matte finish on reciever

Full Stock
    Doubt you'll go for this

And i think Trainers are availabe in 17
    Basically model with iron sights and hogsback stock prob wont want this either

As was said difference between the 452 and 453 is the trigger the 453's is defniatly a huge improvment but make up your own mind if its worth the extra 100 or so i think it is . The CZ's trigger is very easily remedied with very little work and will save you a good amount.

As for what to go with well id go to the gun shop pick up both guns and buy which you like the feel of the best, as far as accuracy goes one is as good as the other.

I went with the varmint because thats what as in the shop at the time picked it up and loved it had every thing i wanted rubber but plate, threaded barrel and the finish on the barrel and the wood was very nice. Also the bolt cycled very nicely wasnt in the least bit stiff and the crown looked perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

I would have to agree, go for a sako, much better ifle if you can get one. Also .22 is a much more popular round for many reasons:

Far cheaper

In many (not all) clubs only .22LR is allowed

Unbeatable with a sound moderator when subsonics are used

More than enough power to shoot targets out to 100M

More people to compete against using the same round

• Advertisement

Pics added at the top

Just about to order a scope going with the Mueller APV the guys cant stop singing their praises over on the american forums.

Heres a link

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440.html

Anyone else know of a better scope for €120

brnoactionbu4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

Pics added at the top

Just about to order a scope going with the Mueller APV the guys cant stop singing their praises over on the american forums.

Heres a link

http://www.muelleroptics.com/products/MAPV451440.html

Anyone else know of a better scope for €120

brnoactionbu4.jpg

did you not enquire with john in griffin hawe about opitcs
    its worth putting your nose back in his door first before going offshore he'd probably do you a nice deal on an edgar brothers 4x16x50 as you bought the gun off him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

a hawke nite eye

has up to 20x mag
    and IR

€195

Didnt really talk to him about optics didnt want to push it he was pretty good to me tbh im getting a good deal on the Mueller and as i said all ive heard is great things about them and i dont really want to spend much.

Again anyone thinking of buying in the future give griffin hawe a look (no im not working or related) but was given a fantastic deal on a trade in and didnt even have to ask for the extra ammo just threw it in dont want to go into numbers but just passin on my experience

This scope is costing me a little over €100 and has been compared to alot of scope in its price range and has come top so suits my needs

Advertisement