Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Matt Cooper slopes off into the night...until Jan 2nd!

• 22-12-2006 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Gah! :mad: Did anyone listen to Matt as he signed off for the week and the year? 'As nothing much will proberly be happening next week we thought we'd take the week off to recharge our batteries...'

Yeah right, lazy Sods.

I dunno what RTE and Newstalk are at but hopefully they will at least pay some service to the concept of public service radio.

Mike.

ps and I hope all political hell breaks loose in December 27th and a snap election is called. Then we'll see who has the last laugh! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Thats my whinge Mike.. I have the copyright on that one.:p

I wouldnt hold my breath on RTE etc,although in fairness they seem to be a little more attentive to the people who pay their wages this year than heretofore.

Throw them any old crap over the Xmas seems to be the deal;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

We're not paying Matt Cooper's wages. I don't begrudge anyone a few extra days off at Christmas - I and most of my friends are off until Jan 2nd and my batteries do need recharging, as I'm sure do most folks at the end of the year.

It's Christmas - show some goodwill to all:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Today FM have no obligation to PSB.

And as someone who works around 50 hours a week in a station, Matt deserves a break! Fair enough, they could put someone in his seat for the like of Mike who want to hear talk but in reality, there WILL probably be very little for them to talk about next week. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing might happen, but in 1989 RTE thought the same then there was revolution in Romania. The station carried edited highlights while ITN and others were nearly in real-time.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Point taken Mike but Today FM are not going off the air for a week, one presenter is taking holidays.

While RTE may stick in your mind, the specific presenter may not have been important. ;)

• Advertisement

Well Matt was back today from 5 pm but was he live? I did'nt hear the whole show but one interview was recorded prior to Christmas (the weather prediction) and the show ended in such a fashion as to suggest it was on tape.

Mike.

Ha! I was right - George Hook or his producer had spotted it too.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Why is george hook so worried about wat Matt Cooper does or doesn't do i wonder?

He wass making a point about being live when Cooper was'nt. Cooper is the one who should be worried its meant to be a topical news/current affairs programme after all!

Mike.

I think the fact that cooper isn't on until 5 all this week probably means he isn't back full tilt yet, but i take your point about not being live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What exactly did Hook (or his producer) say ? Surely they'd be better of focussing on their own programme ? If it was as good as or better than The Last Word, people wouldn't be worried whether or not Matt was off, as they wouldn't be listening.....

Imo the Last Word is a better produced show with better guests and better topics, Hook is probably worried his show wont get a nationwide audience and is going after Cooper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If they moved Moncrieff to the drivetime slot Id say he might give Cooper a run for his money, much more entertaining IMO, and of course he has D4 Henry ;)

Liam Byrne wrote:
    What exactly did Hook (or his producer) say ?

Hooky said (roughly) "well we're here at 4.30 as usual unlike a cetain Matt Cooper over on Today FM and whatsmore we're live too"

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Badabing wrote:
    Imo the Last Word is a better produced show with better guests and better topics, Hook is probably worried his show wont get a nationwide audience and is going after Cooper.

Hook always said he was going after Cooper. He did this from his very first programme. He's beaten Cooper in Dublin and is now going after him nationwide. Cooper has copied Hook on a lot of things that he does, films, travel slot etc. Cooper "introduced" those to his show after Hook was eating into his listenership, but because Today FM was nationwide and Newstalk was allowed only in the Dublin area, only people in Dublin knew about it.

So if you enjoy Cooper you can thank Hook for a lot of his innovations; and for giving Cooper a kick up the arse so he didn't get any more fat and complacent like RTE.

I've found that I'm beginning to rather like Hooky and Coopers lay-off may have lost him a regular listener.

Mike.

Hook always said he was going after Cooper. He did this from his very first programme. He's beaten Cooper in Dublin and is now going after him nationwide. Cooper has copied Hook on a lot of things that he does, films, travel slot etc. Cooper "introduced" those to his show after Hook was eating into his listenership, but because Today FM was nationwide and Newstalk was allowed only in the Dublin area, only people in Dublin knew about it.

So if you enjoy Cooper you can thank Hook for a lot of his innovations; and for giving Cooper a kick up the arse so he didn't get any more fat and complacent like RTE.

And i presume hook can thank dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Both shows have dumbed down in my opinion. The last word with dunphy and coopers first year or two twas much more cerebral with intellectual guests etc. Hook used to have on likes of george monbiot etc much more regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

He's beaten Cooper in Dublin and is now going after him nationwide.
    A local station covering local news and issues should nearly always beat a national station.

The nationwide coverage is a completely different ballgame, and it's a risky gamble for Hook and NewsTalk in general; how to be relevant to the whole country while minimising the loss in Dublin that's inevitable due to their lack of coverage of local stories in that city.

Aside from a few slip-ups here and there, Cooper still beats everyone else hands down. ronbyrne is right in saying that TLW has dumbed down a little, but thankfully not a huge amount, and in general it is still essential listening with only the occasional insert for the low-IQ "whatever" generation and Z-list celeb fanatics.

P.S. Who the hell is george monbiot ?

Left wing economist/opinionist and environmental worrier.

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    I've found that I'm beginning to rather like Hooky and Coopers lay-off may have lost him a regular listener.

Mike.

My god flicked thru the dial and found mr. hook not on what's the world coming too.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Matt anyday beats hook hands down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Its obvous that hooky is using old "half hour earlier" gimmick to try to lock on to evening drivetime listeners early. FM104 do it as well by starting at 9.30 instead of 10, when the 98fm talk starts. Hooky should concentrate on the standard of his show instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Liam Byrne wrote:
    for the low-IQ "whatever" generation and Z-list celeb fanatics.
    Nicely put and as we know there are plenty of these people around, indeed some of them post on this board

Advertisement