Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you bother trading up?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Without using this thread as a reason as a vehicle (no pun intended :D )for car bashing for the below models what do people think of the following...

Just getting a bit giddy the last few weeks thinking about changing the car, it will probably pass but have always wanted a beamer 3 series over the years !

Got a passat 130bhp TDI in March, 3 yrs old, after coming from my last car it was like a dream :D And I'm delighted with it, no complaints what so ever.Now I'm thinking would it be worth the 10K(or so) to sell up and
    A) Try and get a BMW 320d
    or
    B) Get a 05-06 new model Passat TDI
    or
    C) Not bother my arse and keep the money I dont have with the AIB ;)

Have been looking at UK sites and the beamer seems to pretty hard to find and doesnt seem to be any GREAT value to be had but you could get a nice 2006 Passat landed here for 25k inc VRT.

Over to you festive punters....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In fairness it's your decision, you obviously know all the pros and cons yourself. deciding factors should include the safety aspect, the importance you place on (other peoples perceptions of you) having an up to date motor, and the way the car makes you feel.

Also, Beemers aren't supposed to be good value for money. that's the whole point of buying one, you should have enough money to not care about how little you get for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Is a beamer worth the extra money though? Im not bothered about perceptions etc just want the car. Id drive anything I was happy in :)

I was offered an A4 a year older than the passat when I was buying for the same money and didnt bother. I like the look of the new passat...its grown on me but havent driven it? Anybody? Never driven a 3 series either actually :o

The head defo says the 04 beamer for the same money as a 06 passat is a bit of a kak deal !

The beemer is gonna be more of a drivers car. But if you're not a badge man and can't tell the difference - and value comfort more, then the Passat is the winner.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sizzler wrote:
    Got a passat 130bhp TDI in March, 3 yrs old, after coming from my last car it was like a dream :D And I'm delighted with it, no complaints what so ever.
    Id opt for C. if you are this happy with it then why change?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd go with C. But if you do feel the strong urge to change then consider an Audi A4 TDI - good comfortable car and slightly stronger value retention than the Passat.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote:
    I'd go with C. But if you do feel the strong urge to change then consider an Audi A4 TDI - good comfortable car and slightly stronger value retention than the Passat.

you reckon the A4 increases its price gap over the Passat as it gets older?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If you're happy with the car, why change? Especially if it means breaking the bank to get it.

I do like the new model Passat though.

We'll probably change to an A4 this coming year, but may plum for a well specced Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Guy in work got a 01 320d SE (i think its the SE spec + extras) last year for €18500 all in (car from UK but was registered here when he bought it). Its got pretty much everything leather,cruise,climate,park sensors,alloys, 6 cd changer, 85k on the clock i think it was.

Mike: Like this if i was in the market tis sweet http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=431320

Guy in work got a 01 320d SE (i think its the SE spec + extras) last year for €18500 all in (car from UK but was registered here when he bought it). Its got pretty much everything leather,cruise,climate,park sensors,alloys, 6 cd changer, 85k on the clock i think it was.

Mike: Like this if i was in the market tis sweet http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=431320

Nice car, but its pricey for the year and mileage...there goes the logic voice in my head again lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Maybe you should consider the Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDi as well. If you're definitely changing cars that is.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=535322

• Advertisement

Honda is pricy but a pretty fine looking car all the same. And the lump in them is quite nice.

Sizzler wrote:
    Nice car, but its pricey for the year and mileage...there goes the logic voice in my head again lol

The BMW or the Audi?

BMW was a steal and the Audi isnt bad for the spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Id opt for option C. We usually want what we dont have. I found when I change cars, theres usually something else I then want! I can never seem to win!

The BMW or the Audi?

BMW was a steal and the Audi isnt bad for the spec.

The audi ;)

IrishRover wrote:
    Maybe you should consider the Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDi as well. If you're definitely changing cars that is.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=535322
    That honda is a nice jammer but one petty thing about the accord for me is the wheels look waaay too small for the car, especially at the rear.

That particular model has 15K more miles than my own tin and mines a year older :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sizzler wrote:
    That honda is a nice jammer but one petty thing about the accord for me is the wheels look waaay too small for the car, especially at the rear.

A nice set of after market 17" alloys will sort that out.
    Sizzler wrote:
    That particular model has 15K more miles than my own tin and mines a year older :eek:

60k on a 3 year old diesel = 20k miles a year, that is average for a diesel car. Nothing to a Honda diesel or petrol.

I would be more concerned or suspicious about low mileage on a diesel car myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    60k on a 3 year old diesel = 20k miles a year, that is average for a diesel car. Nothing to a Honda diesel or petrol.

25k is a bit too steep for a 3yr old car that may (or may not) need work in the next 24mths. A new mondeo is that price, and a new Avensis isn't a massive premium above it. Honda IMO are really gone silly with their pricing of the Accord, it is a nice car, but not that nice.

Injectors and so forth are going to be no more reliable than those fitted to a Fiat or Alfa, and probably have a life expectancy of 200k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

maidhc wrote:
    25k is a bit too steep for a 3yr old car that may (or may not) need work in the next 24mths. A new mondeo is that price, and a new Avensis isn't a massive premium above it. Honda IMO are really gone silly with their pricing of the Accord, it is a nice car, but not that nice.

Injectors and so forth are going to be no more reliable than those fitted to a Fiat or Alfa, and probably have a life expectancy of 200k or so.

That Accord cost €42k new so €25k was not a bad price for 2006. Should be a bit cheaper now we are almost in 2007. The Accord is a very reliable car and will only need wear and tear parts replaced as normal with that mileage. I had a 1994 Accord petrol many years ago, even though it was a company car the only thing that needed replacing in 100k miles were the usual consumables plus timing belt. If it was my own car the only things I would have spent money on were the tax, insurance and maintenance, no surprises. Also regarding the price of a new Accord, spec a Mondeo, Avensis or Passat with the same size engine and equipment level as the equivilant Accord and price gap is not that big. Things like electric heated leather seats, cruise control, electric sunroof and cd changer are all standard on the diesel Accord. The Accord also looks less rep mobile too.

Also a basic spec Avensis D4D will still set you back the best part of €30k new, it cannot come close to the Accord's standard spec, a Mondeo is a no go as a new buy as the depreciation is a nightmare on them especially with the new model around the corner. So unless the OP really has to have a 07 plate it doesn't make much sense to me for him to buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

If it were me, I'd keep my money.

Advertisement