Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Hermann With Horsfields.

Options
  • 22-12-2006 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello, please excuse my ignorance in this matter.

however, i need to ask.

I currently have 1 hermann tortoise, atleast 3-5 years old.

I have to pick up a horsfield tortoise tomorrow. I have heard from 2 different petshops that keeping them together would be ok as they require the same conditions and food.

However, i am very wary. I dont want my girlfriends tortoise to die, it would just break her heart.

I have the proper viv.

it is 3 foot, has pulse starts, spotlight bulbs and 2 foot UV light.

Please any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

It's very dangerous to mix species, end of story. I use a tabletop for mine not a viv.
    I'd read this link before going any further : http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/faq.html#separate
    Also, any european tortoise should be in hibernation at this time of year, so dont believe what the shops tell you, they are only out to make a buck.
    My two hermans are in hibernation at the moment and wont be out of the fridge until February next.
    See the attached photos of my indoor and outdoor setups.
    Best of luck with the tortoise dude but I'd suggest doing a bit more research on them, they deserve it. It's a step in the right direction to look for an opinion other than that of the pet shops. I'd love to know what shops said it would be ok.

Advertisement