Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record of 2006-your call

Options
  • 22-12-2006 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

What do you think was the best record of 2006!!!!!!!!!!!

I would have to say J 2 the T.
    MY LOVE-Justin Timberlake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Probably Westlife or Girls Aloud, can't decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Westlife - Mandy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

All good nominations so far but I'd have to go with Take That.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Westlife - Mandy
    it was a very long year if that was released this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Randy Sandi Thom - I Wish I Was a Punk Rocker

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Now now this snideness is really unnecessary...;)

Cunninlynguists - A Piece Of Strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Yeah. You have to laugh at people citing Girls Aloud as an example of commercial ****. They have an incredibly good production crew. Best pop act around in the past 5 years.

My choice is Stuck Between Stations by The Hold Steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

2006, thank god this year is over. Absoloutely brutal for me, I battled beat downs, mugging, homelessness, alcoholism, you name it Ive had it this year, so music wasnt top of the agenda

Anyway, in terms of the music

Bumped my head to: The Game- Compton. Lethal song. Eminems Shake That, not the lyrical highlight of his career but **** it, when Nate Dogg is singing your hook its impossible to make a bad song :)

Got me commercial dancing shoes on to: David Guetta Love Dont Let Me Go and Joey Negro- Make a Move. Make a Move always takes me back to after the Faithless gig in August, we went to Club M. Out of it giving it socks to that tune with a load of Chinese birds, one of the few highlights of a summer that I spent homeless and stuck in work from midday til late, missin all the good weather.

Rocked on with: U2, Saints are Coming. They may be slightly past it, and they may be sanctimonoius tossheads who are causing you and me to have to pay more tax but they still make the odd good one. The crazy Dutch bastards. Also liked Hard/Hi Fi (Hard Fi is a band and Hi Fi is a dance festival, or is it the other way around. Whichever, you know what Im on about). Anyway, Live for the Weekend, good god a 21st century guitar band who make music that actually has a meaning and isnt just random lyrics?

Videos that gave me the horn in 06- Nelly Furtado- Promiscous Girl. 2nd girl seen in the Lloyd Banks Hands Up video.

Shanes "soppy git" favourite- Leona from the X Factors song. Not normally my thing, nor are those talent shows, but I like it. Not normally big on whoever wins these shows as theyre often somewhat average but she has some voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy...

But overall, Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars, one of the biggest songs of 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The Feeling for me, great album and great singles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Glyder - "Colour of Money", from their self-titled album(best this year too).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

david guetta ---- love dont let me go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Are you serious?!?! :O

I maintain the opinion that music is dead... Long gone are the days when you could say record of the year was Lynrd Skynrd - Freebird or Guns 'n' Roses - Paradise City *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

-Freebird- wrote:
    Are you serious?!?! :O

I maintain the opinion that music is dead... Long gone are the days when you could say record of the year was Lynrd Skynrd - Freebird or Guns 'n' Roses - Paradise City *sigh*

what is popular has sadly changed.

back in the days of guns 'n' roses late 80's early 90's their style of music was popular, but the difference is what was popular then was actually good music which had decent substance and melody.

nowadays it's just "ohh everything is done before so we'll just copy someone else's beat" ala "black eyed peas - pump it".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I am not disappointed with the new cds by:
    1. The Frank And Walters
    2. Killers
    3. Snow Patrol

But many other cds did disappoint.

Cremo wrote:
    what is popular has sadly changed.

back in the days of guns 'n' roses late 80's early 90's their style of music was popular, but the difference is what was popular then was actually good music which had decent substance and melody.

nowadays it's just "ohh everything is done before so we'll just copy someone else's beat" ala "black eyed peas - pump it".

I respect you for realising that! I'm in no way saying that there is no good music these days, but come on they just don't make them like they used to... Thin Lizzy - Still in Love Wth You, when have you heard a song like that since this one?! Ah I just get so angry hah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I thought this year was a pretty good one for music. You just gotta look past the charts to find it. My choice:

Hot Chip - "Boy From School".

Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm going to say what I always say when people say music isn't what it used to be: you're not looking hard enough. It's a big internet out there with many, many bands that are as good and if not better than the so-called classics. There's no time like the present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

John wrote:
    I'm going to say what I always say when people say music isn't what it used to be: you're not looking hard enough. It's a big internet out there with many, many bands that are as good and if not better than the so-called classics. There's no time like the present.

There is some great music out there if you look hard enough, but I think one of the biggest problems is and I never thought I would say this but there is TOO much music out there and the little gems are often hidden in a big pile of crap which can make it hard to find decent music.

I'm still trying to figure out if this thread is a pi*s take or not.

John wrote:
    you're not looking hard enough.

Believe me I look... I listen to bands that people have never heard of... But I just don't think its the same... Music as we once knew it is dead... You can't beat a cassic... I'd find it extremely hard to pick a record of the year (Outside of pop music)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I also enjoyed Saddam Husseins cover of "King of the Swingers"

How random...

-Freebird- wrote:
    Believe me I look... I listen to bands that people have never heard of... But I just don't think its the same... Music as we once knew it is dead... You can't beat a cassic... I'd find it extremely hard to pick a record of the year (Outside of pop music)

What was music as we once knew it? There's always been awful bands and a handful of outstanding artists, Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy were not representative of all bands of their era. Just like now, the truly great bands are the ones that sound like no one else and are better than everyone else. They may not be appreciated by everyone else but look at The Velvet Underground, virtually ignored in their time. Same with Joy Division.
    Pigman II wrote:
    I also enjoyed Saddam Husseins cover of "King of the Swingers"

Mmmmmmm, that's good satire.

John wrote:
    Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy were not representative of all bands of their era.

I'm not saying they were, far from it... I'm saying that when you look back at the music there was then, and the music there is now, there's a big difference... Whatever reason you try and put it down to, most bands now are a cabon copy of someone else in one way or another... Look at Razorlight, an unbeliveably over-rated band... Who do they remind me of? The Beatles... Think about it... One of the biggest rock bands still going is Metallica, and even they have lost the plot... St. Anger?? WTF?? It's all been done before at this stage, using Razorlight as an example again, they could be the same band as the Kooks... They are identicle... Ahhh I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

ntlbell wrote:
    There is some great music out there if you look hard enough, but I think one of the biggest problems is and I never thought I would say this but there is TOO much music out there and the little gems are often hidden in a big pile of crap which can make it hard to find decent music.

I'm still trying to figure out if this thread is a pi*s take or not.
    So am I. If a Girls Aloud record is the best of the year, I may as well cut my leg off and beat my ears off with it.

Did anyone hear the Gotan Project at all?

-Freebird- wrote:
    I'm not saying they were, far from it... I'm saying that when you look back at the music there was then, and the music there is now, there's a big difference... Whatever reason you try and put it down to, most bands now are a cabon copy of someone else in one way or another... Look at Razorlight, an unbeliveably over-rated band... Who do they remind me of? The Beatles... Think about it... One of the biggest rock bands still going is Metallica, and even they have lost the plot... St. Anger?? WTF?? It's all been done before at this stage, using Razorlight as an example again, they could be the same band as the Kooks... They are identicle... Ahhh I give up

I don't listen to any of those bands, the good music isn't featured in NME, the radio or TV. All those modern bands are just out for success and appropriating sounds to sell records, no innovation whatsoever.

What about bands like the Flaming Lips, Tool, Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Low? Or newer bands like Om, Pelican, Larsen or Antony and the Johnsons? There's lots of fantastic bands out there. I used to think all hope was gone for modern music but I started reading around the internet and reading magazines like The Wire and have found lots of interesting, innovative and exciting music.

You're not getting my point, I'm quite a fan of the Flaming Lips, I agree that there are good bands out there today... Music just isn't at the same standard anymore...

• Advertisement

-Freebird- wrote:
    You're not getting my point, I'm quite a fan of the Flaming Lips, I agree that there are good bands out there today... Music just isn't at the same standard anymore...

Your point is that music isn't at the same standard as it was and my point is that oh yes it is. What's popular is different but the standard is still high.

Advertisement