Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU running hot on new build

Options
  • 23-12-2006 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I have a new build here running an X6800 under its stock cooler (waiting for the Zalman to arrive :-).

So why is the CPU temp being reported as over 100C in software when idle? Looking at the bios, the temp reported there is more like 42-44C, which is fine.

I'm assuming that MBM is seeing two seperate processors and doubling up on the temperature. Is there there something better I should be using for temp monitoring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

hi.it may sound silly but i have 2 ask are u sure it both readings are c not 1 c and other f.
    sorry didnt mean 2 offend just ckeckin

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Whats your specs?Is it in celscius?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

game4it70 wrote:
    hi.it may sound silly but i have 2 ask are u sure it both readings are c not 1 c and other f.
    sorry didnt mean 2 offend just ckeckin

:D No offence taken. Both are in celcius. Getting 47c for the case in general but 127C for just the CPU, which I know isn't right - in the BIOS I have 42C for the CPU.

This is while idling in windows btw, not doing anything heavy at all. If it reall ywas running at 128C I'd be panicking :-)

Could it be that MBM isn't seeing the processer as a dual core? Windows itself recognises it as as a dual core xtreme edition, so no problems there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

clubcrown wrote:
    :D No offence taken. Both are in celcius. Getting 47c for the case in general but 127C for just the CPU, which I know isn't right - in the BIOS I have 42C for the CPU.

This is while idling in windows btw, not doing anything heavy at all. If it reall ywas running at 128C I'd be panicking :-)

Could it be that MBM isn't seeing the processer as a dual core? Windows itself recognises it as as a dual core xtreme edition, so no problems there

mbm possibly doesnt support your motherboard as updates arent being produced for it in a few years.

you tried any bundled tools that came with the mobo that show temps??
    also try speedfan and see what temps that reports

gline wrote:
    mbm possibly doesnt support your motherboard as updates arent being produced for it in a few years.

you tried any bundled tools that came with the mobo that show temps??
    also try speedfan and see what temps that reports

That might be it then, the lack of updates. Funnily enough theres nothing with the mobo to monitor temps; I've just been checking it from the bios.

Is Speedfan the best to use then? Whats everyone else using, or is it all mobo software?

• Advertisement

clubcrown wrote:
    That might be it then, the lack of updates. Funnily enough theres nothing with the mobo to monitor temps; I've just been checking it from the bios.

Is Speedfan the best to use then? Whats everyone else using, or is it all mobo software?

ah there are loads of different ones, i like using speedfan as it is easy to use... what is the mobo make + model?

gline wrote:
    ah there are loads of different ones, i like using speedfan as it is easy to use... what is the mobo make + model?

Hmm, using Speedfan right now its giving me 36 for the case, and -113 for the CPU. So I dropped out of windows and had a look at the BIOS - CPU is reporting as 44. Fans are running silent right now as theres practically no load, so theres no way it should be 113.

This is very odd indeed. Mobo is a MSI 975X Platinum, btw.

clubcrown wrote:
    Hmm, using Speedfan right now its giving me 36 for the case, and -113 for the CPU. So I dropped out of windows and had a look at the BIOS - CPU is reporting as 44. Fans are running silent right now as theres practically no load, so theres no way it should be 113.

This is very odd indeed. Mobo is a MSI 975X Platinum, btw.

just google for some temp monitoring tools for your motherboard model there might be something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Try systool, the temp readings in speedfan can be messed up and not labeled right if you can't find the right config.

Also can you attach a screenshot of either speedfan or systool running. Also are you reading the socket temp or the diode temp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

You could just have a ****ed up thermal probe for your cpu. a c2d will shut down at 80c. So you know its not giving you the right readings.

To be on the safe side, run prime 95 for a few hours to make sure the system is stable. if it is just ignore the software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

L31mr0d wrote:
    Try systool, the temp readings in speedfan can be messed up and not labeled right if you can't find the right config.

Also can you attach a screenshot of either speedfan or systool running. Also are you reading the socket temp or the diode temp?

Yes. In Speedfan, the Core temperature doesn't always refer to the processor on some motherboards... I found that out the hard way... :(

Advertisement