Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fan usage in fogged up cars

Options
  • 23-12-2006 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Only recently have I discovered that no-one I know are using the fan inside the car. Personally, I will sit in my car and have a smoke while the fan on full blast clears the windows so I can drive off.
    Travelling with a mate of mine he just drives off while the windows are still fogged up and I know he can't effing see where he's going. Come to think about it no-one I know uses their fan at all!

Since then I started noticing the amount of fogged up cars on the roads in the mornings. How do people manage not to get killed? Is there a "not-use-fan" secret I need to be let in on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Jebus! I'd never attempt to drive away unless I'd a decent 'hole' in the condensation.

If the car has aircon then turn it on as it dries the air a lot quicker.

If you've a Ford with the heated front windscreen then this thread is of no concern to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I use the the fan all the time for clearing fogged up windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

You'll see that phenomenen often in suburban estates as it takes that long to demist the windows and they'll only be sitting in traffic anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

crosstownk wrote:
    If the car has aircon then turn it on as it dries the air a lot quicker.

If you've a Ford with the heated front windscreen then this thread is of no concern to you :D
    Well on a cold morning, the last thing i want is ice cold air blowing out.

And also my Mondeo's heated front windscreen takes about 2 mins to clear it. I NEED SPEEDY RESULTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Make sure you have a clean pollen filter! The windscreen will demist faster when the blower doesn't have to suck air through 1/2 inch of debris!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

fans on high and drive around with the rpm>3000 to give the heater lots of juice :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fans on high and drive around with the rpm>3000 to give the heater lots of juice :D
    But running with high revs on a cold engine isn't good!

Good for me if it warms me up. :p

I've only had to do it once this year, and only do it if im running late and dont have time to wait for the damn heater to kick in normally. I do refuse to wipe windows and will cut peoples arms off that try to wipe the mist off :mad: Noticed there the other day the rear demister has stopped working only the top 2 lines clear now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't like when people use their hands to wipe the glass, puts streaks on it. Apparently there is some sort of spray that will make the glass "non-stick" for mist? My rear demister is broken (I have some electrical issues to fix in the car) so that'd be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

apparently fairy liquid reduced condensation?

• Advertisement

The fairy liquid does infact work from experience. Fairy liquid on newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭ongarite

The fairy liquid does infact work from experience. Fairy liquid on newspaper.

Neat fairy liquid on a newspaper? That's a new one to me.

its the same as putting it on the inside of goggles when swimming :) News paper is optional something to do with the ink is good for cleaning windows (shine).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

colm_mcm wrote:
    apparently fairy liquid reduced condensation?

I did this yesterday and wiped it down with paper,the car was worse than ever last night it was like looking thru the ends of bottles!

I had to get out the windolene and scrub the windows untill i got any left over residue off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

fan on full blast, rev the feck outta the engine :D

or else get a nice bit of speed up in a low gear - however that's virtually impossible to do with frozen/fogged up windows :)

nice kettle full of luke warm water also does the trick.

We need some sort of auto keyfob which has 2 buttons - hot and cold. When the hot button is pressed, the engine starts, fans on full blast and all demistifiers activated.

When cold button pressed, engine starts and air con comes on full blast. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

If you've a Ford with the heated front windscreen then this thread is of no concern to you
    Yay, a thread that is of no concern to me, back to the fog light thread then.

As Skyuser said, sit there for 2 minutes and your windows clear inside and out, no freezing your ass off with loads of cold air blowing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Yay, a thread that is of no concern to me, back to the fog light thread then.

As Skyuser said, sit there for 2 minutes and your windows clear inside and out, no freezing your ass off with loads of cold air blowing around.

Ford have the heated front screen for more than 10 years now - I can't see why other manufacturers haven't followed suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

theres a windscreen demister button on the new civic that really works.
    It will demist the windscreen in about 5 seconds.
    Takes about 2 minutes to defreeze the windscreen in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

crosstownk wrote:
    Ford have the heated front screen for more than 10 years now - I can't see why other manufacturers haven't followed suit.
    Renault have had heated windscreens on some of their cars for the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Last time I washed all my windows with mr muscle window cleaner (green bottle),inside and outside, spray it on and wipe it off with kitchen roll (dont use j-cloths cos it works best when your wiping it off with something dry) didnt have any probs with fogged up/condensation for months but its gotten really bad again lately tho. Gonna have to clean em again.. I find aswell tho if u just put the fans on full power, full heat, with the engine running and windows closed, get out of the car for about 3-4 mins cos its mad annoying when your sittin in it, that works too. Cant wait for summer tho! none of this crap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if your in trouble turn on the heater then lower the drivers window 1/2 inch,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Always open a window - your body heat is enough to fog windows on its own, the flow through effect greatly aids clearing. Also wipe the inside with kitchen toweling and then whack up the ventalation sure its cold air at first but be brave! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Skyuser wrote:
    Well on a cold morning, the last thing i want is ice cold air blowing out.
    Erm, you can have aircon on hot as well... :rolleyes:

Up until today I had only cold air (and no aircon) as the crappy heater control valve was broken - I had no choice but to wipe the windscreen in the mornings :( And I had to keep the fan on so the windows didn't mist up again :mad:

But now I have a new valve - couldn't get the scuttle cover off so destroyed my hands and arms in the process (and my back still hurts 10 hours later), but it was worth it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

edit: grow up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭imeatingchips

ps. remember to pack ur glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have a 99 civic and it takes AGES to clear the windows with the fan on......but it's better than driving while not being able to see anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

crosstownk wrote:
    I had an 88 Sierra 2.0 gls with that heated windscreen,I miss that windscreen:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

the fans on my punto suck, it would take way to long for them to clear the window, the one on the back window doesn't work and never has.

I keep a little sponge type thing on my dash board and give the windscreen a wipe so i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Hi - I find that using a proper car glass polish which is not water based works well and repells condensation very quickly in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

skibum wrote:
    Renault have had heated windscreens on some of their cars for the last few years.

Ford's screens actually work however! ;)

Coat.

Advertisement