Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor 3G ''EDGE''

• 23-12-2006 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

Apparantly Meteor will launch its 3G service with its own entertainment menu. It is rumoured that it will be called ''Edge''. Anyone know anymore about this ????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Are you sure it's not an EDGE network upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

GPRS is 2.5G, EDGE is 2.75G, 3G is,erm, 3G.

So Edge is in between gprs and 3G. Do you know if the are upgrading to EDGE or from EDGE to 3G?

I started a thread on it a few days ago. Details here. In that thread flodis79 said Meteor were alread on EDGE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hmm not too sure , as I said it was just a rumour and I wondered if anyone on here knew anymore. Can you do video calls on ''Edge'' 2.75 ?? They are deffo getting video calling so if 3G is the only way to do this then they must be getting 3G .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Dellas wrote:
    Can you do video calls on ''Edge'' 2.75 ??

I don't think so.
    Dellas wrote:
    They are deffo getting video calling so if 3G is the only way to do this then they must be getting 3G .

Must be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

meteor are launching an EDGE network which is a sofware upgrade to the GPRS network...they do not have a license at present for a 3G network but that will change in the new year when they will be offered the 3G license that was taken off smart telecom earlier this year....video calling can only be used on 3G network due to bandwidth limitations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

They've have been on about EDGE for years now
    can't see it happening its a outdated technology (not that 3G is cutting edge to be honest)
    More likely that they will use 3's 3G network or eircom will get the licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Still will be interesting to see what they will do and what the costs and services will be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Haven't Meteor upgraded their network to EDGE already? I thought it's been live since the summer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Didn't Eircom win the appeal for the 3G license? How long will it take for it to go live with Meteor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They have EDGE already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Meteor are live with EDGE at present. It's a step up from GPRS. I'm told they are introducing combined talk and data packages in the new year.

I don't think they had planned to go down the expensive 3G route so took the cheap option with EDGE. Then Eircom bought them and subsequently got the 3G licence off Smart....

Depending on its implementation, EDGE can be classified as 3G. It is not, however, UMTS.

gunnerfitzy since when did eircom get the umts licence?
    i could of sworn no one got it yet

IIRC, Eircom were awarded it ahead of Smart Telecom and Smart Telecom appealed the decision and lost.

^^ wow i am more out of the loop than i thought
    i blame it on useless comreg
    wonder why they havent done anything with the licence yet?

Not sure. Can only lead to good things with Meteor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Considering Eircom will have the final 3G license, I think it is safe to say that it is going to be a 3G network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

bennyx_o wrote:
    IIRC, Eircom were awarded it ahead of Smart Telecom and Smart Telecom appealed the decision and lost.

no they didn't...smart were awarded it and then comreg took it back off them due to issues with secure financing(which turned out to be very true). smart went to court to try and get it back(and in the end they didn't want it)

I stand corrected.

bennyx_o wrote:
    I stand corrected.
    I knew i didnt remember that happening ;)

not as out of the loop as i thought

all the same there more than likely going to get it in the end
    (oh denis o brien were are you when we need you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The terms of 3 Ireland's 3G licence require them to allow other local operators use their network, so Meteor will probably bum off 3's network and then start rolling out their own in the mean time they will be able to avail of 3's massive 3G coverage (currently the widest coverage in the country).

In any case, this can only bode well for competition as Meteor via eircom will be obliged to also allow MVNOs onto their networks.

I have been told by a friend working for 3, that they are going to scrap roaming charges altogether, so if I go to the UK, Hong Kong, Australia or any other country with a 3 network, I can make and receive calls for the same rates I do here while on their networks. It will probably take a while for this to roll out, but it will be pretty good when it happens.

That's all well and good, but 3 don't have networks in Germany or Spain, so it won't do me much good. Maybe I'll start going to Italy and Austria. :D

Advertisement