Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHPBB customization

Options
  • 23-12-2006 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Im doing a site at the moment that needs a forum board. I was going to write one myself with php because i would like the forum to be able to interact with other sections of my site e.g. when someone registers and account on the main site i want them to be also automatically added to the forum user list without having to register a seperate account on the forum and i want to be able to set it up that when you click on a posters username on the forum that i can redirect them to a section on the main site where all their personal information will be located.

As some people on here will know my php experience is limited :rolleyes: , but i was wondering if it would be easy enough to customize PHPBB to do these things or should i just write my own?

Thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You will not be able to write your own forum software, at least not without a few months of solid time to dedicate to it (full working days) (after spending another 6 months or a year bumping up your PHP and database interaction knowledge). Even at that it would be very weak and probably full of gaping security holes.

So, undoubtedly much easier to integrate phpBB into your existing site, though technically it's got plenty of security holes itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

You could just use shared authentication tables between your site and phpBB. That would be the easiest way of doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

phpBB is very easy to customise and to do what your looking for is fairly straight forward as well

have a look at www.phpbbhacks.com for starters , hope that helps

Advertisement