Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress sense affecting scoring?!

Options
  • 23-12-2006 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Basically im bi but while i have no problems pulling guys when i go out i never get with girls! It is kinda getting me down cos if i'm to be honest i definately perfer girls. I know I'm not bad looking and have no problems making friends but can't seem to get a girl ANYWHERE!

I used to non stop about a year ago but i'v since lost weight and statred dressing differntly and some of my friends think that has something to do with it. That i dress too "straight" now or something?! I've always thought this ridculous i mean how could the way you dress automatically reflect your sexuality right?! Now looking at it though it does seem that people associate dress sense and preferance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Bah nonsence!

Well do you persue girls or to you just sit back and expect them to come to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What you wear definitely has an affect. Dress like a boy and I predict all you're scoring problem will disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

Whenever I "go straight" with my mates I notice most women don't look at *anyone*. I think it's an Irish female thing.. they're mostly totally aloof (that's a generalisation I know, but it's my observation).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ever hear of "playing hard to get"? :)

I'm not sure what you mean by dressing "too straight". Dressing like a boy might scream "I'm a dyke" but I'm not sure how sexy it would be. I think "hip" would best describe the dress sense of most lesbians I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Shellie13

Stark wrote:
    Dressing like a boy might scream "I'm a dyke" but I'm not sure how sexy it would be. I think "hip" would best describe the dress sense of most lesbians I know.

Ye always thought personally its a lil weird that some gay people try dress like d opposite gender i mean isnt the point of going for someone of a certain sex that thats the gender you perfer?!
    Bah...ye dress does seem to have an effect tho iv noticed which is weird but smeh!
    Whats hip?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Shellie13 wrote:
    Whats hip?!

Like 'hip to the groove'!! Either that, or insane. But I think that's personality and not sexuality- it seems kind of silly to go 'Oh, I'm gay so I HAVE to dress like this'.

"hip to the groove!"
    Cant wait to tell my mate that she uses that to describe her dress sense constantly i must persude her shes a lesbian icon:p

Ye im the exact same as the OP absoulutely adore all the girly things- skirts. dresses, pink, skinny jeans, long hair- it girls cant take that **** them i say!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've the exact same problem!!

I've danced with girls on the dancefloor in the George and they still think I'm straight. One even said it was cool how I was comfortable enough to dance with a lesbian!! Agh!

So yea, I def think what you wear makes a difference. To be honest, I've changed how I dress a bit to fit in, but I never liked going out clothes anyway. I'm NEVER wearing a baggy t-shirt out though, that would just be going too far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

You wouldn't think of wearing something blunt would yea? I mean like a T-Shirt saying "I like Girls".

The thing about guys is they never seem to persum another man is off limit's. Might be because that whole "Straight acting" millarky is so highly prized, and as much the straighter you look the more attractive you are? Meh I don't know, this is why I avoid Gay bars these days.

LiouVille wrote:
    You wouldn't think of wearing something blunt would yea? I mean like a T-Shirt saying "I like Girls".

Ha was almost considering purchasing one of the oh so nice "dyke" ones till i spotted them cropping up a lil too much around central bank last summer lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

Girlydyke wrote:
    Basically im bi but while i have no problems pulling guys when i go out i never get with girls! It is kinda getting me down cos if i'm to be honest i definately perfer girls. I know I'm not bad looking and have no problems making friends but can't seem to get a girl ANYWHERE!

I used to non stop about a year ago but i'v since lost weight and statred dressing differntly and some of my friends think that has something to do with it. That i dress too "straight" now or something?! I've always thought this ridculous i mean how could the way you dress automatically reflect your sexuality right?! Now looking at it though it does seem that people associate dress sense and preferance...

Apparently it does matter how you dress. Whenever I dress feminine, the ladies don't look at me twice. Dyke myself up a little and I've some chance. Also, I remember getting refused into KISS because I 'didn't look gay enough.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

Girlydyke wrote:

Apparently it does matter how you dress. Whenever I dress feminine, the ladies don't look at me twice. Dyke myself up a little and I've some chance. Also, I remember getting refused into KISS because I 'didn't look gay enough.' And this was my first time to go to KISS. How much of an impression did that make on me?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trawingtroll

Ya, dress sense can effect your score but I don't know if it can maximize scoring.

Personally I go for rocker/goth/emo and I can't stand that bleach hair fag look(you know the one). Like I mean I like effeminate guy, don't mind camp but it don't mean they have to dress like a stereotype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 trawingtroll

Apparently it does matter how you dress. Whenever I dress feminine, the ladies don't look at me twice. Dyke myself up a little and I've some chance. Also, I remember getting refused into KISS because I 'didn't look gay enough.' And this was my first time to go to KISS. How much of an impression did that make on me?!

militant Dyke's

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

one of my friends, shes a great laugh(T), shes going out with one of my mates(M), a guy and every now and then she gets a little lust for girls.
    she in front of M just goes up to a girls she likes, and starts with a question, i think its usually about hair or clothes, just flattering them, and within about 10 minutes that girl would be sitting with us and it would lead onto other things, doesn't bother my mate at all, i think he gets a bit of a kick out of it.

my opinion is that women are pretty close anyway and always comment on each others looks clothes, so i wouldn't think that it would be odd if you went upto a girl and started out like that.

the odd time T would end up chatting to a straight girl and it wouldn't phase her at all, were a pretty friendly and accepting bunch and the girl and her friends would still end up hanging around with us for the night.

on a personal note i never go out to score. i prefer to get to know women first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Some people will like particular looks of course, though I can remember hearing this complained about from the other direction before - women complaining that they can't find a girlfriend because they only really go for SA/SL and there aren't enough SA/SL dykes around.

The number of straight women in a lot of venues probably doesn't help, partly because everyone likes to feel they aren't wasting their time - therefore it can make more sense to chat up the person you're most convinced is of the appropriate orientation.

Current fads have also brought more than a few straight women into gay venues who like the company of gay men, but who are down-right bigoted towards Lesbians.

It really does sound like we're going backwards when you hear about women getting homophobic abuse in a gay club :(

Needless to say, this no doubt reduces the appeal of trying to chat up an SA/SL girl.

What's SA/SL? Please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Straight Acting/Straight Looking

Talliesin wrote:
    Straight Acting/Straight Looking

Ah! Thankies!!

Advertisement