Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus problem - rattle sound on startup

Options
  • 23-12-2006 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭

My Focus has recently developed a problem where it gives an rattling/shudder sound just at it's started up. It's there constantly on almost every startup regardless of whether it's a cold or warm startup but it's not audible/noticeable after starting.

Other than the startup problem the car doesn't handle anyway differently than it used to before and seems fine.

I'll be dropping it into the garage when they come back from the Xmas break but in the meantime I'd appreciate any suggestions as what might be causing it.
    The source of the sound seems to be underneath the chassis close to the rear wheels and sounds like a length of metal piping that's loose.

Also should I stop driving till the cause is checked out? It's a 00 reg car with approx 40K if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
    DB

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Get the exhaust mounts checked

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Tony255

I have the same thing with mine it sounds like the exshaust is loose, how much would it cost to fix the mounts if that is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

It might also be a heatshield. They seem to fall off Fords a bit.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

More than likely ur exhaust. Happens with mine. But once its driven for a while, when i restart it, theres no rattle. Obviously heat expansion or something!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I had the same issue with mine, what it was is that the metal cover/shield under the body of the car got bent up when I hit a flood, I managed to just flatten it out so that it was not hitting the body or exhaust.

• Advertisement
Advertisement