Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy with UTV?

Options
  • 23-12-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

I was wondering, could people post if they (as users of UTV) are happy with UTV as your broadband provider and if you ever get any problems.

Are you happy with UTV? 10 votes

Yes, I cant live without UTV!
    0% 0 votes
    No, I would die rather than recommend them!
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I've had UTVTalk for 2 years and UTV BB for 6 months. Both work as advertised, I haven't had any problems other than short DNS outages. They do answer their emails, but after one month! However when my phone was out of order and I called them (on the mobile!) they passed the problem on to Eircom promptly and without fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Ok being with UTV I'm slightly biased maybe but I think most of the BB deals are all much of a muchness (who the hell did invent that saying anyhow!). One thing that appears to be in their favour as far as the board users here go, is that considering most of the BB posts here are regarding problems with the suppliers or connections etc, there seems to be a relatively small amount (3 at present) of complaints among the first ten pages compared to the other providers.
    Yes I suffered from the DNS thingy a few weeks back, but apart from that I can only remember one other outage in 2 or 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I am on UTV ADSL for about 8 months and have no problem with speed. However, their big problem is when you have a problem. I had one over the summer when the sound quality on our phone started to get lower and lower. I would call UTV (say on Monday) and try and arrange an appointment to an engineer (Eircom) to visit. I would specify that I was available on Wednesday but would would come back to me on Thursday that Wednesday wasn't possible - Duh !!! This same messing around went on for two weeks until I eventually called ComReg which then seemed to get action.

At the end of the first week an Eircom engineer came out one Saturday morning while we were out and so I was referred back to UTV for a new appointment. However, when I missed a engineer after during the middle of the third week (while we were on a weeks hols) this time (i can only suppose because of ComReg) they retained the call in Eircom and it was them I needed to call back to arrange an appointment.

Therefore, if you ever end up in trouble, transfer back to Eircom, sort out your problem and then move back to your new provider (although with ADSL you will probably be unable to do this since you will be locked into a contract)

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭rip2roar

Been on them for a month, great service, very happy with it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I have a couple of friends with UTV and I was with them for a good while myself.

The friends are quite happy overall and I would have serious reservations about certain aspects of UTV - my experiences on leaving them were dire (deducted money from my account in spite of specific instructions not to etc etc).

On the plus side the products are pretty competitive and since they introduced the option for the unlimited downloads they have become even more competitive. Along with Smart they seem to be the only isp who offer direct communication with a teccy via the newsgroup - and Carl is exceptionally good and obliging I must say.

On the negative side the customer service/support seems to vary alarmingly - they seem to have those dns issues with monotonous regularity albeit at fairly lengthy intervals. They will not pass on wholesale price reductions unless you extend your contract (which afaik no other provider even the dastardly Eircom requires) they charge you an escape fee if you wish to leave no matter how long you have been with them. Both of these I consider to be lousy practises.

They also have a tendency to blame Eircom on everything and I mean everything - it seems to be a reflex with their staff. When I was pursuing them over the totally wrong deduction from my account when I was leaving them the girl blamed Eircom! Told me they had to deduct the money because of the way Eircom billed them!!!!!!!!! Fog at Heathrow yep its Eircoms fault.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There's already a sticky BB providers poll here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054987377

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah utv are very good..have both there phone and bb for about a year and a half now..only ever had short dns outages about 3-5 times in total in a year and a half..

i did have a stupid ping problem where it would jump up to like 700 and go back down again..but i figured out why it does it now.. :D

and there unlimited plan is great..not many providers offer it..

Advertisement