Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing Windows XP after Linux

• 23-12-2006 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm trying to install windows on my FC5 machine, but I'm a complete noob.

I've tried looking around the internet, but I don't understand alot of the tutorials/etc. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience in this and if they could walk me through it:D. Basically, I don't really know what the boot disks are or how to use them. If anyone could tell me an easier way of doing that would be great

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭bren2002

I'm not sure it can be done. I think XP will attempt to overwrite the entire disk. Linux onto a Windows PC is OK, but Windows onto a Linux one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

it will be fine but you will have to install wingrub or edit the boot.cfg file on windows to put Linux as an option on the bootloader. (theres plenty about it on google), or if you can buy a copy of VMWare to run it under Linux.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Linux recognises Windows, rarely the other way around so install in the order
    DOS / Win9x / WinNt/xp/2k / Linux

First you need free space or a Fat/NTFS partition to install to.

Next install XP

Now all you have to do is fix the boot ;)
    reinstalling most types of linux would sort out this
    www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm is a dos utility that is handy if you have fat partitions - there is a guide somewhere to get it to copy/restore boot sectors and stuff and add in one to the winows boot.ini if you want to start windows first.

to make an XP boot disk
    format a floppy in XP to sort out the boot sector.
    xcopy c:\ntldr a: /h
    xcopy c:\ntdetect.com a: /h
    xcopy c:\boot.ini a: /h

you could then use your favorite utility ( cfdisk or dos fdisk) to set the active partition back to the linux one and boot XP off the floppy disk

if you already use grub then modify it's menu list to point to XP
    gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    # This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
    # on /dev/hda1
    title		Windows NT/2000/XP (loader)
    root		(hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader	+1

though you'd have to change root (hd0,0) to match the Drive / Partition that XP was on

other options would include loadlin by which you can load up a bootable CD image - doesn't apply to the OP but handy as another way of getting dual boot between *nix and M$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

didn't know much about the process just knew it could be done so thanks Capt'n for the info :)

Advertisement