Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTB status - it lasts even if you sell and buy again??

Options
  • 23-12-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Copied from other post:

According to this article in the II http://www.unison.ie/business/person...257&si=1743961
    FTB status is applicable even if you sell and buy again. For someone who has done this and has only been getting the ordinary TRS, can they claim a refund?

Here is an excerpt of the article 'You retain your first-time buyer status even if you change house or change mortgage provider within seven years. And you retain that status if you re-mortgage and as long as the extra money is used for work on your private residence, according to tax director with Ernst & Young, Aileen Downes'.

Is this the case. I am only getting second time buyer relief when I have bought and sold within the seven year period?
    Is anyone getting this relief after having sold and bought again within the first seven years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Update:

They have confirmed that I wasn't given FTB status and that there was a shortfall in my TRS prior to 2003 but they can only go back four years so I cannot expect a refund of this!

I've argued that this was their mistake and therefore they will have to pay it back, plus interest, but they still maintain they can't for various other reasons such as:

Paper records were used then.
    The local Inspector of Taxes dealt with MIR (as it was known then) and I should get onto them.

I won't accept this and am not prepared to chase anyone for their mistake.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and/or any opinion on this?

Advertisement