Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The pill and sex

• 23-12-2006 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Ive never had sex before but Ive been going out with a guy a bit and well its inevitable. I was just wondering about the pill. I want to go on it as I obviously dont want any nasty surprises, but just wondering, is it effective from the day you go on it or do you have to wait. Also can you start taking it immediatly or would you have to wait until your next period?

Also Ive heard you bleed after the first time you have sex? Is it straight away like? Is it a big amount? Like I think it would be really embarassing to stain the sheets of the bed or something.

Sorry if these seem like silly questions. Im 16 so many of my friends havent had sex yet so Ive nobody to ask

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You will only bleed if you hymen is infact and that is only a small amount like a teaspoon.
    http://www.coolnurse.com/hymen.htm
    If things are taken slowly and there is enough lubrication then there is very little chance of vaginal tearing so there should be no bleeding.

You have to be on the pill and take it at roughtly the same time every day for the first 7 days for it be effective.
    You start the pill on the first day of your period.
    You also have to remeber to take it every day.
    The pill will not stop you getting and sti or contacting hiv so condoms should be used as well.
    The dr that perscribes the pill to you for contraceptive puropses will be able to answer all your questions.

Remember that while the age of consent is under review currently you are ment to be 17 before you can consent to sex with an adult ie some who is 18 or older.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

unreg* wrote:
    Ive never had sex before but Ive been going out with a guy a bit and well its inevitable.

Inevitable because you want to or inevitable because you're supposed to?
    unreg* wrote:
    I was just wondering about the pill. I want to go on it as I obviously dont want any nasty surprises, but just wondering, is it effective from the day you go on it or do you have to wait. Also can you start taking it immediatly or would you have to wait until your next period?

For peace of mind, if I were you, and this is what I did, I waited until I got my next period, starting taking it on the last day, continued to the month, retarted on the last day of my next period, and then had sex. So I kind of gave myself a trial month. It was really worth it in my opinion, and I felt like i'd guaranteed myself I was "covered".

You can wait a month before having sex for the first time!
    unreg* wrote:
    Also Ive heard you bleed after the first time you have sex? Is it straight away like? Is it a big amount? Like I think it would be really embarassing to stain the sheets of the bed or something.

Yeah, depends on the person! But it would be quite normal to be sore for a bit, and to bleed the first few times you have sex. It's normal, there's nothing you can do about it, so no point worrying too much...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Gah!

Why the **** am I paying taxes if our schools are letting kids get to 16 and not know this ****? It's bad enough that the schools that are reasonably good in this regard don't really teach you about sex, they just teach you about how to get pregnant and then how to do roughtly the same thing without getting pregnant but you should at least have some of your questions answered in that.

Okay. First up, while the law is about to change the age of consent is currently 17. Sex under that age is legally rape.

While clearly moving from a jurisdiction that has an age of consent of 17 to one where it is 16 isn't magically going to change how ready you are there is a reason why we have the age of consent at around that age - legislators are trying to balance the fact that some kids below that age do seem to ready with the fact that some a good bit older clearly aren't. Don't be in too much of a rush to have sex unless it's really what you want. There's no rush (chances are it'll be a few years before you're actually having good sex in any case) and plenty of girls 16 and older go out with a guy for longer than "a bit" and don't have sex.

The bleeding that sometimes happens when you first have penetrative vaginal sex (but not other types of sex, there's more to sex than sticking a penis in a vagina, just like there's more to Western Europe than the minute hand of Cleary's clock on O'Connell St) is caused by the rupturing of the hymen, a fold of membrane which partially covers or surrounds the external vaginal opening. Most often it will be a crescent-shaped fold near the bottom, though this is not always the case. It can tear during the first case of intercourse though it may not (this is often explained away as it having been previously damaged by accidents, in truth though the hymen can be quite elastic in some women and the shape and size differs and changes during puberty and it quite simply may not be intact for that reason). If it does tear then there can be a small amount of blood from that, though there may not. There can also be a small amount of blood from mild injury to surrounding tissues. It won't be more than a teaspoon so while there can be stains on sheets it's not going to stain a bed much.

The timing of the pill and how soon it takes to work depends on the pill. As a rule you start taking the combined pill on the first day of your period and it becomes effective after 7 days and with the minipill you take it immediately and it takes a bit longer to kick in though you don't have to be as careful about taking it on the same time of day.

Always read the leaflet you get with your pill, and with a new pill if you change brand. Talk to the prescribing doctor if you are unsure about any of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thank you all for your answers

Thaedydal thank you for the concern, I am actually 17 in a few weeks

Aoife-FM104 inevitable because we both want to, we've talked about but aren't rushing into anything and certainly dont want to rush into it without being fully protected and won't be unless I'm on the pill.

we would of course use condoms but would rather be doubley protected. I just wasnt 100% sure about when you started it, I had a feeling it was started at the start of your period, was just double checking.

Talliesin, sorry you feel your taxes are being wasted. They teach us that you should be protected against STI's etc and drill that into you, they just dont really go into the nitty grittys of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

unreg* wrote:
    Talliesin, sorry you feel your taxes are being wasted.
    No need to apologise. You're the one that's really being cheated.
    unreg* wrote:
    They teach us that you should be protected against STI's etc and drill that into you, they just dont really go into the nitty grittys of things.
    So they tell you it's important to be protected but don't actually explain how to do so? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Talliesin wrote:
    So they tell you it's important to be protected but don't actually explain how to do so? :mad:
    well they explain about male condoms very detailed, but I think they're the most obvious. The when and how of the pill would be more broadly discussed.

Advertisement