Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Cats Eye

Options
  • 23-12-2006 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

...is all gucky. Now both eyes get like this a lot and it's kind of annoying. I suppose it's just like the 'sleep' we get in our eyes? (Is that what you call it, can't remember!).

Anyway, I try to wash them regularly (usually followed by him running away and getting in a huff with me) and I never thought twice about it because it's just gick - all cats get it around their eyes, right?!?

Now, however, (coming up to Christmas - great! :rolleyes: ) something is wrong with his left eye. It's looking sort of red and he has to close it or keep it half-closed all the time. I'm not sure if this is inrelation to the gooey stuff he gets around his eye or maybe he got in a fight and another cat swiped at him or something (thought there's no cut/scratch).

I'm not exactly looking for vetenary advice here, as I wouldn't look for medical advice for any human here. But I was wondering if anyone elses cat had this. I know I should bring him to a vet and I will after Christmas (or should I do it straight away?)

He doesn't seem to be too bothered about it. He's in a good mood - as he always is, although he doesn't trust me now because he thinks I'm going to do something awful to him like wash his eye! ;)

Lastly, would it be wise to put eye drops in his eye? They're not special cat eye drops, just ordinary OTC human eye drops but I'd imagine they'd work (?)....stupid idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I know exactly what you are talking about. We had the same problem with ours, only one eye. We got some kind of ointment (I'll find out for you) for it and our vet told us it was probably feline herpes, it is easily treated. Not sure about the eye drops. Try and keep it clean if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cats and dogs do get this. Its quite normal in small ammounts. His eye could be a scratch from a branch or something. I would have a vet look at it though. Last thinkg you want is for your ca to loose its eye from a infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

So it's nothing serious? I didn't think it was. Will bring him to the vet after Christmas if it doesn't heal. It does look a bit better now though, even after a couple of days.

Bad news though, my mam (the idiot) put the eye drops in. I really hope they're not dangerous for animals...mind you, I can't get annoyed with her because his eye is looking slightly better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Now that I remember, the vet told us it was actually stress related. We had ointment but after she settled into our new apartment, there were no more problems. Let us know how you get on anyway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It could be a variety of different infections, or simply she caught it against a stick or something.

If you use eye washes/drops check with the vet first- or use optrex as it only contains witch hazel and distilled water so it will do no harm..

get it checked out, but until you do, keep her eyes bathed and clean (she might not thank you now, but it's worth it:p )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Get it checked out by your vet.
    If, as you say she is not bothered by it herself, do'nt go overboard with trying your home remedies.
    Cats eyes and eyelids are very very different to human eyes and eyelids.

And make sure your treating the cat and not treating your own disgust at what may be a normal process. ;)

As with humans, cats often have "sleep" in the corner of their eyes. Using washes and even just water to get rid of it is often not necessary and can do more harm than good. So only the vet can decide if this amount is normal for her. Different cats have different amounts, on different days, just as we do, -it only needs treatment (by treatment I mean the actual "use of somthing", I do not mean initial vetinary assesment, that IS important as a first thing to do), if it becomes troublesome or irritating to *her*

If she has poked or wounded it in some way and it has (even a tiny) cut, your rubbing and dropping may only irritate it more.
    If it were me, I would let the vet take care of it, if I couldnt get to a vet, I would leave it a day without touching and see if she starts taking care of it herself. If not, and it seems to bother her or cause her pain, I would find a vet immediately.

Often animals will get the tiniest of cuts or irritations, which will feel itchy as hell (as they do with humans, ever been stung by a nettle?) but left to their own devices for a day they will themselves begin to heal it in their own way.

Rubbing and putting in drops, may be making it more irritated or itchy and is always stressfull for the cat.
    The rubbing and drops alone may be forcing her to concentrate on her eye and that in itself may make the problem continue longer than normally.

Keep her indoors, observe her from a short distance for the day, watch to see if it looks like its causing her as much irritation at the end of the day as it was the night before. And bring her (and the results of your observations) to the vet soon as you can.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Thanks for all your advice, we've tried to be as gentle as we can with the washing as we realise it's probably hurting him and may do him worse and I've thrown out our human eye drops so we won't be giving them to him even if they did help slightly.

Brought him to the vet last night much to his disgust; for the first time I actually saw my cat shivering with fear :( it was horrible (I'm a big softie - I hate upsetting him) but it was for the best.

The vet had a look and said that he had a knock to the eye and the infection spread slightly to the other eye too so we're now treating both. He gave us antibiotics for him - eye drops (well a mixture between eye drops and cream which, he said, is absorbed quickly by the eye so even if he shakes it after we put it in - which Garfield does a lot - it will still work). wow long sentance..

Apart from that, he's a healthy cat (normal weight + temperature according to the vet) which is great because he's been acting strange the last few weeks :( He hasn't been affectionate with me (which he usually is) and has been howling to go outside as soon as he's been fed. I hope his behavior is down to this eye problem as he's such a unique and lively cat usually 9and as playful as a kitten) but anyway....

Advertisement