Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo and Sony

Options
  • 24-12-2006 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭

Right sorry that I have to post it here but if I post it in the Nintendo forum I will be killed and if I post it on the Playstation forum ill seem biased.
    I noticed (and so did everybody else) that the Nintendo Wii has very limited stocks with most people not getting them before christmas. But when word came out everybody went "ahh what a shame" nobdy blamed Nintendo. But when we heard their would/was in America be limited stocks everybody said "ahh its Sony's tricks supply and demand and with little supply means big demand" and it was all Sony's fault. Now what is the difference between what Nintendo done and what Sony done.

By the way I only want to discuss it and get your opinions on it. I personaly have no favourites if the console is good I will probably buy it. I have a dreamcast an xbox and a playstation so I am not biased.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Do you not know that Sony ar the devil and eat small children? They are also responsible for all crime in the world.

Nintendo on the other hand are a non profit organisation that release consols and games for the good of humanity and in an effort to erradicate pocerty.

Well, thats the way it seems from reading some threads on boards anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Reganio 2 wrote:
    everybody said "ahh its Sony's tricks supply and demand and with little supply means big demand" and it was all Sony's fault.

I don't think anyone actually belived that though... did they?!...did you!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't believe that Sony held back stock but launching with 400,000 is just asking for trouble. Nintendo launched with a reasonable amount of consoles and there isn't nearly as many disappointed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What helped Nintendo's cause was they released it in Europe. Sony pushed the PS3 Euro launch back and were quite smug about it iirc. Anyway it's cool to hate Sony these days (although I'm not a big fan, what with their rootkits and such).

Nintendo have always screwed Europe over, people seem to have forgotten about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Plus there was the fact Nintendo claimed they'd have 4 million by Christmas and there'd be plenty to go round - if they said there'd be shortages like Sony did I'd have been more careful about preordering and I'd have one now instead of still making desperate last attempts to find one on Christmas eve, having been looking for one since I was at stores in the UK that were meant to stock them ahead of midnight on launch day, and at other stores that opened at 9am next morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I don't think anyone actually belived that though... did they?!...did you!?
    With the way everybody went on about it I did believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The fact that some head guy at sony gos out and says that people will buy the ps3 no matter what price because its a playstation to me shows a lack of respect for their customers. Then they tried to rob the wii's motion control feature. Sony have so far just made blunder after blunder topping it off buy only having 400000 at launch time when the wii had millions. I think its too the point where people are just fed up with the big company telling them what they want and are going for the other big company which is looked at as doing something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,684 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A quick look on ebay will show the disparity in price between a wii and a PS3 due to stock levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Kristok wrote:
    The fact that some head guy at sony gos out and says that people will buy the ps3 no matter what price because its a playstation to me shows a lack of respect for their customers. Then they tried to rob the wii's motion control feature. Sony have so far just made blunder after blunder topping it off buy only having 400000 at launch time when the wii had millions. I think its too the point where people are just fed up with the big company telling them what they want and are going for the other big company which is looked at as doing something different.

1. were they not correct? bill gates said himself, sony could package 80,000 bricks and they'd sell

2. yeah the wiimote and sixaxis are exactly the same. clearly robbing them.

3. if people are so fed up with sony "telling them what they want", then they'll vote with their feet. if you believe anything sony says will turn people off a ps3 then you're incredibly naive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

1. Being right and being an ignorant ass are not mutually exclusive.
    2. I'm sensing a note of sarcasm in this point, however when the N64 was previewed at the E3 show before it launched they demonstrated a shiny rumble pack. Sony ran back to the drawing boards to release a "dual-shock" controller for the ps2. Almost exactly the same thing has happened now with the gyroscopic controllers.
    3. And yes, as demonstrated by the opinions of myself and many others on these forums, what sony has said about its customers has turned many people off of buying ps3's. Not so much those who were going to buy one all along, but those people, like myself, who were unsure if they would or not and who were just of the "wait and see" attitude.

Furthermore, the Wii has limited stock because of demand. The ps3 has limited stock because of supply. Two completely seperate issues, one clearly being understandable and one less so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

There's been just over one million PS3s shipped versus just under 2.5 million Wiis. A big difference but nowhere near as exagerated as people make out (400k vs. 'millions')

As for the other points, I don't see why customers should care who had an idea first or who has 'arrogant' staff. Are games consoles the only industry where people seem to think this means something, rather than basing opinions on the product itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

steviec wrote:
    There's been just over one million PS3s shipped versus just under 2.5 million Wiis. A big difference but nowhere near as exagerated as people make out (400k vs. 'millions')
    Where are these PS3 figures from? Sony have been very tight lipped about how many they have shipped.

Also Sony were originally promising over 2 million this year which has lead to alot of annoyed and disappointed people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Nobody is ripping into Nintendo because AFAIK they had an order of magnitude more units available for sale than Sony. And also because Sony rape children with rootkits, poor TVs and overpriced everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No one seems to be commenting on the fact that there is shortage of a console that is basically completely based on a technology that is 4 years old though it seems. Neither is no one making note of the fact that they are actually the only ones making a profit on the console, nor are they commenting on the fact that they are the most profitable. Nintendo seems to have created the perfect perception of their brand - especially considering the bashing that Sony is getting. Personally I majorly dislike everything that Sony stands for.

I still feel that the appeal of the Wii is down to what I still consider the gimmicky control system. I have played WiiSports etc and while it does work well, I pretty much got bored of it within 10 minutes. There is no doubting that Zelda is a quality game but it does not appeal to me in the slightest and lets face it, it is a Gamecube game that was delayed to make it function with the Wii controller. Every other game that has been released seems to be somewhat pants. Take Call of Duty 3 for example, it is inferior in everyway to the PS3 and 360 versions - including its more "fun" control method.

Just look at this list, the Virtual console titles make up the vast majority of quality titles. The wii titles seem to get quite shocking scores! Of course gamespot is biased though ;)

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.html?type=reviews&platform=1031&mode=all&sort=post_date&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

I don't mean to appear extremely biased towards the Wii as I genuinely do admire Nintendo but I just cannot see what people are so excited about. Also, besides the first party titles like Metroid, Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers, what else is in the pipeline to that one could get excited about? It really is like the N64 and Gamecube again:

http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?type=games&platform=1031&mode=all&sort=views&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If the Wii really takes off where Nintendo are aiming, which is outside of the current gamers market, they will make so much money, that all the major gaming companies will switch to them. Wii was a risk, but so far, it seems to be paying off. The only way we'll know is with time, and whether or not, after Christmas, the girlfriends and wives and sisters of game players decide they want one for themselves.

If that happens, the Wii will get lots and lots and lots and lots of good new games.

PHB wrote:
    If the Wii really takes off where Nintendo are aiming, which is outside of the current gamers market, they will make so much money, that all the major gaming companies will switch to them. Wii was a risk, but so far, it seems to be paying off. The only way we'll know is with time, and whether or not, after Christmas, the girlfriends and wives and sisters of game players decide they want one for themselves.

If that happens, the Wii will get lots and lots and lots and lots of good new games.

There is no disputing this and its makes alot of sense. However, as you well know, there is no point in the console having mass market appeal and being able to push the boundries of what was a very restricted market if there is not the software to back it up. Outside of the tradtional first party titles, there is nothing in the release line up that looks in anyway impressive. Look at the 360, MS did not take advantage of having an extremely powerful console out long before anyone else because they were unable to push the big titles out quick enough. Granted, they have some out now and some more in the pipeline but they should still be doing alot better.

Regarding the Wii, my mate has one and everyone who has seen it has been very impressed with it and have said they want one. I would be curious to see just how many of them end up buying it and some games. While I discount Singstar and Guitar Hero as being games in the traditional sense and think they are gimmicks, they seem to have captured the appeal of the mass market far more successfully on the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Reganio 2 wrote:
    I noticed (and so did everybody else) that the Nintendo Wii has very limited stocks with most people not getting them before christmas. But when word came out everybody went "ahh what a shame" nobdy blamed Nintendo. But when we heard their would/was in America be limited stocks everybody said "ahh its Sony's tricks supply and demand and with little supply means big demand" and it was all Sony's fault. Now what is the difference between what Nintendo done and what Sony done.

nail-hammer.gif

Sony were vilified in the US, and will be here when the console is released next year with not enough supplies. Yet nintendo get away with doing the exact same thing without being slammed for being a faceless corporation yaddy yaddy yadda

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

uhhh tbh at this point less that 1 in 20 of people i know who wanted wii's before xmas didn't get one. I doubt you'll find the same situation in ps3 launch area's......

If you were bothered enough about getting a wii at launch you would have, of course it was going to sell out before xmas, there was no way it was going to have surplus stock for xmas, but i think they came extreemly close to satisfying demand fully....

Sony are villified here because they said they were delaying the european launch because basically they can release it here whenever they feel like it and we'll still all go out and buy it. That kinda attidue doesn't win the popularity wars, but i doubt it'll effect their sales a whole lot...

Nintendo console achieved its aim, its fun. I've had some great wii sports games over xmas with at this point 40+ people having played my wii, and ye know every single one of them wants one. Its just plain simple fun...

From my experences so far i'd be surprised if they can get a game lineup to give a decent single/online multiplayer experence to be anywhere close on a par with the xbox 360(haven't played a ps3 naturally). But tbh i didn't expect it would when i bought it so it doesn't bother me. Its the ideal thing to keep guests entertained n what not...(and sure boxing is a workout too ;) )

Nintendo console achieved its aim, its fun. I've had some great wii sports games over xmas with at this point 40+ people having played my wii, and ye know every single one of them wants one. Its just plain simple fun...

As I said though, I wonder how many of these people will actually go out and buy the console and some games once the novelty has worn off and stocks are available again. I actually hope people do to be honest as it will put a massive dent in Sony's plans but I can't help referring back to the software line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

As I said though, I wonder how many of these people will actually go out and buy the console and some games once the novelty has worn off and stocks are available again. I actually hope people do to be honest as it will put a massive dent in Sony's plans but I can't help referring back to the software line-up.
    90% of the people who said they are think'n of getting one(2 bought them so far after playing mine) wouldn't buy a console normally. It was one girls only second time ever using a console(after informing me several times that she and computers didn't get along she loved the wii boxing/tennis). I don't think the wii's success will massively dent the buying market for the ps3, different group. Though the strong xbox 360 sales this xmas might do it, which is no shame....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Kristok wrote:
    I think its too the point where people are just fed up with the big company telling them what they want and are going for the other big company which is looked at as doing something different.

Humm I have always thought that Nintendo have been ultra guilty of the above in the past, especially when it comes to the content that they allow to be released on their consoles. Where as Sony always seemed to happy to have anything released on their consoles (and let the users decide what was good or crap) Nintendo always seem to have the attitude that they know whats best for you.

Not decided which console I will buy this time arround, PS3 is too expensive, theres not alot that I want currently on the XBox and I always have a naggle at the back of my head that nintendo will be 3rd party unfriendly again and attemp to spoon feed content to their users. Myabe I'll just wait a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

that is exactly why I am putting the money into a PC in the short term. Why risk money it makes absolutly no sense...

I recently got a PS2 and a crap load of good games, And still a few good games are heading its way, double agent being the latest addition, Very few people argue about the librarys of the previous gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

I don't consider the Wii to be anything more than clever marketing.

On paper it is a **** console, comparable -at best- to the graphics of the first xbox or even the ps2.

It has one gimmick which is that controller thing, i think that looks amazing tbh and very inventive but it's not something im gonna shell out 300 bills for. It's the kind of thing that i'd love to play with at my m8s house same as a "bop it" or something. Also the ps3 has copied it so theres really no point.
    I also don't see the lasting appeal. Sure it's fun now but are you really going to be arsed to stand up and flail your limbs all the time?

I know that i'm not nintendos stated target audience. I play games like CS:S,fear, half life and Civ4 etc. I don't play much with other people because i do it not only to relax but also to win. When im with my friends i'm usually doing something ese liek going out or getting high or watching sports, i play in my alone time.

I think nintendo are aiming at people who don't really know too much abiut computers and will almost buy the console on impulse. It is a toy for an older an younger generation.

The crucial mistake they are making is this: People who don't play computer games do so becasue they don't like them. Some people just don't understand sitting down and pwning noobs and think its nerdy and gay, these people own ipods because irivers are too complicated.They may play proev and fifa and Need for speed but they really wont buy that many games.

I predict that lots of people will lose interest in the wii. The gamers will lose interest when they realise that the ps3 displays beautiful HD graphics and has the most respectabile and worthwhile titles (wii sports could nearly be at home on a mobile phone, and the sword one looks like an n64 port). And the non-gamer audience will lose interest and leave their wii to gather dust under the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

I don't consider the Wii to be anything more than clever marketing.

On paper it is a **** console, comparable -at best- to the graphics of the first xbox or even the ps2.

Clearly something is wrong with your eyes. The Gamecube had the best looking game in the last gen (RE4) and the Wii is more powerful than it. Clearly the launch games don't looking too fantastic, but they aren't bad and things can only get much better.

It has one gimmick which is that controller thing, i think that looks amazing tbh and very inventive but it's not something im gonna shell out 300 bills for. It's the kind of thing that i'd love to play with at my m8s house same as a "bop it" or something. Also the ps3 has copied it so theres really no point.
    I also don't see the lasting appeal. Sure it's fun now but are you really going to be arsed to stand up and flail your limbs all the time?

Nonsense. What are you going to do with the remote? use it as a vibrator? you play games on consoles and if the console comes with a controller then you play with it. Most people buy consoles based on available games, the Wii will (or at least it should) have a huge number of unique games that are simply not possible on other consoles (the PS3 SIXAXIS controller is quite different to the Wii remote).
    You've obvioulsy never played or seen someone play the wii. There is no arm-flailing or standing required, infact the controller is easier to use sitting down that standard controllers as you can keep both your arms down to your side while playing.

I know that i'm not nintendos stated target audience. I play games like CS:S,fear, half life and Civ4 etc. I don't play much with other people because i do it not only to relax but also to win. When im with my friends i'm usually doing something ese liek going out or getting high or watching sports, i play in my alone time.
    I think nintendo are aiming at people who don't really know too much abiut computers and will almost buy the console on impulse. It is a toy for an older an younger generation.

I play many and varied PC games, I also play to win, if you don't play to win then whats the point of playing? I really don't see the point you are trying to make.

The crucial mistake they are making is this: People who don't play computer games do so becasue they don't like them. Some people just don't understand sitting down and pwning noobs and think its nerdy and gay, these people own ipods because irivers are too complicated.They may play proev and fifa and Need for speed but they really wont buy that many games.

Eh? Some people don't play computer games because they don't like them, from any experience I have most non-gamers find the controller intimidating, unintuitive and clumsy. My dad played the old NES and the SNES, but he gave up when the N64 came around because it had a huge controller that need some serious dexterity to use to any decent degree of competency (my dad was a great mario and Street Fighter 2 turbo player). The Wii controller though is utterly simple to use, point at the screen and push the big obvious A button (for Wii Sports, a great choice as a pack-in game).
    The biggest selling PC game in history is The Sims, it didn't sell because hardcore gamers got to pwn n00bz, it sold because it appealed to the masses, which is exactly what the Wii is doing.

I predict that lots of people will lose interest in the wii. The gamers will lose interest when they realise that the ps3 displays beautiful HD graphics and has the most respectabile and worthwhile titles (wii sports could nearly be at home on a mobile phone, and the sword one looks like an n64 port). And the non-gamer audience will lose interest and leave their wii to gather dust under the tv.

Gamers will not lose interest because of graphics (at least the sensible ones), they may lose interest because of poor games though. If you want good graphics why would anyone buy a console? get a PC! Well establish HD gaming (with resolutions beyond either major powerhouse console) the latest and greatest games only a download away ([MOD EDIT: READ THE CHARTER]:D) and instant upgradability to the best hardware available, no waiting for a 5 year console development cycle to end.
    Real gamers (i.e. not fanboys or graphics whores) want good games, with good stories, good gameplay and if good graphics are there then all the better, what would the point of pong3D with HDR lighting, 16x AA and all the other tech jargon be exactly? The nongamer audience will buy all the Wiis you could ever imagine if games are made for it that appeal to them and based on DS sales they most certainly will.

Just so you know, I own a Wii (if you couldn't have guessed) I also own a PS2 and DS Lite, I also had a NES and SNES and N64. I fully intend on getting an Xbox 360 and/or PS3 depending on what happens with the PS3.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ivan wrote:
    1. Being right and being an ignorant ass are not mutually exclusive.

Ignorant ass?
    poor TVs and overpriced everything.

If you think so, don't buy. It is that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭imarugbyball

Paddy u make some good points but you really must conceded that

(A) the wii is the least powerful next gen console
    (B) The gamecube was less powerful than the xbox

- these are facts, if you compare the hardware specs you can see this.

The point i was trying to make is that, as a gamer, i can see that the wii can really be reduced to nothing more thatn marketing hype, buzzwords and a controller. It is less powerful thatn the 360 or the ps3. That is a fact. the only positives are it's wand controller (gimkick imho) and it's image.

Since image really means nothing to me i think that it is a waste of money.

It also has the advantage of realeasing "nintendo-ey" games which if you liek them is great, but i don't see the appeal for any of them except for zelda and if you buy 1 console for one game, it should really be the ps3 to play Mgs4 in hd imho.

But i think the wii is cool and great fun too , i can't really make my mind up about it and my opinion is mainly formed by the fact that i can't afford it an NEED to play mgs4........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

i have a nintendo wii and an xbox 360 and as far as i can tell, Kameo for xbox is worse quality than zelda for nintendo. nintendos launch games look alot better than the xboxs. and afaik nintendo didnt release the specs, so how can you compare them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i have a nintendo wii and an xbox 360 and as far as i can tell, Kameo for xbox is worse quality than zelda for nintendo. nintendos launch games look alot better than the xboxs. and afaik nintendo didnt release the specs, so how can you compare them?

They did release the specs. The GC had a more effecient processor but couldn't match the clock speed of the xbox. Similarly the GC graphics card was amazing and had a lot of features thet the xbox just couldn't pull off but the xbox gfx card had the big advantage of better processing power. The HD and larger ram size gave the xbox another advantage. Games like Resi 4 look better than most games on the xbox but if you take by far the xbox's best looking game, Panzer Dragoon Orta, then there is a huge difference. That game looks better than most of the early xbox 360 games.

As for imarugbyball, as a gamer you represent only a tiny minority of the videogames buying public. Nintendo are aiming for the casual gamer or people who have ignored games before the Wii came out and it's a very clever strategy. While Sony and MS are trying to attract a narrow market with powerful and expensive consoles Nintendo are going for the biggest market. Anyone that i've showed the Wii to has been very impressed and it's made a lot of people, including people who wouldn't normally play games, consider buying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

wii tech specs

and seriously unless you are blind there is no comparing the 360 and wii... (graphically)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    wii tech specs

and seriously unless you are blind there is no comparing the 360 and wii... (graphically)

i compaired one game against another, both begining titles. that was all. no need to insult me.

Advertisement