Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo and Sony

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well another interesting move from Sony as they release Tekken 5 through digital distribution in Japan for the equivalent of less than €15...

Assuming that's the first of many, and the prices don't change drastically in Europe, it looks like yet another avenue where PS3 owners will be saving money relative to 360 and Wii owners (along with having the cheapest accessories, games, arcade and VC-style downloads, subscription fees)

I do wonder if Sony could have chopped a fair bit off the base PS3 price, added a fair bit onto the price of everything along with it, and they'd have been much more in line with the competition and have a lot less bad publicity. As far as I can tell a PS3 owner who gives it a fair bit of use will spend less over the consoles lifespan than a 360 owner, but nobody will see it that way when the initial outlay is so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Paddy u make some good points but you really must conceded that

(A) the wii is the least powerful next gen console
    (B) The gamecube was less powerful than the xbox

(A) No one is disputing this.
    (B) I defy you to show me a better looking game on the xbox than RES 4 on the Gamecube

Saying that the wii is comparable to a last gen console graphically is utterly daft. And specs don't mean sh*t if the devs don't make the most of them.

I preferred my gamecube to my xbox, (until I got the xbox chipped that is). Metroid, Zelda windwaker, mario kart and resi 4 were some of the best games out on the last gen.

After a couple of days solid on my wii I can honestly say that I'm very very excited about the possibilities. As for having to stand up and flail your arms around, you don't. You can play all the games, incl the sports games sitting down and making small movements with your wrist, or if you prefer (I think it's more fun) you can stand up and look like an idiot to the rest of your family when they walk into the room :) Even ignoring the motion sensors it's the most comfortable controller out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

No fanboys/flamers up in this ma'

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

The point i was trying to make is that, as a gamer, i can see that the wii can really be reduced to nothing more thatn marketing hype, buzzwords and a controller. It is less powerful thatn the 360 or the ps3. That is a fact. the only positives are it's wand controller (gimkick imho) and it's image.

But you can pretty much say that about the PS3 too. Sony have a bad history of making stuff up about their consoles, if you believed the hype about the PS2 you should have expected Jesus himself to have made the console and all its games. (only today I read that a PS3 representative said that the PS3 was designed to freeze in demo kiosks in shops)

There is no doubt that the PS3 is, from a numbers POV, more powerful than the Wii, but who knows what games will be out for the Wii? With Square Enix releasing Dragon Quest IX on the DS, Snake making an appearance in Super Smash Bros. and numerous PS3 exclusives going multiplatform the Wii could be in for a huge number of unexpected games.

But i think the wii is cool and great fun too , i can't really make my mind up about it and my opinion is mainly formed by the fact that i can't afford it an NEED to play mgs4........

If its cool and great fun why isn't it a good console? surely that's why consoles are made, to have fun?

I'll be getting a PS3 for Pro Evo 6, 7 and beyond, only if the XBox versions don't sharpen up. The PS3 to me has very few must buy games, very few old PS1 games (that i dont already own) appeal to me and its just a huge money sink, at the moment. When it gets a nice big price cut and more games are around I'll see, but I have virtually no faith in Sony to do anything right with the PS3, so I won't be holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Nintendo are aiming for the casual gamer or people who have ignored games before the Wii came out and it's a very clever strategy.

Oh how times have changed - I remember when the first playstation was released and how sony where seen as the devil for trying to attract casual and new gamers, while nintendo where the heroes of 'serious' gamers.

Not saying its a bad thing, just strange how things change is all. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

I've just noticed that my first post was edited by a mod. I can understand the second part but the first thing I mentioned is a real and legitimate game downloading service like Steam, I've seen loads of ads for it on IGN.
    Just thought I should point that out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding the notion of Nintendo being now for casual gamers while previously being seen as for Serious gamers, I couldn't disagree more.
    Nintendo have always been about one thing, games, well that and making a profit!
    But the games that they released on the N64 and GC were, certainly for the first party anyway, beautifully crafted experiences appealling to both the new comer and the longer in the tooth gamer, the likes of Mario64, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart DD, Waverace and Resi 4 all presented game worlds incomparable on any other machine, no dispute there.
    No, but where Nintendo lost the casual gamer was through misjudging the skill of Sony to market the PS series of machines as cool devices to own, the ipods of their generation, the Nintendo consoles seeming like throw backs in comparision, despite that being far from the truth.
    As a result both consoles suffered at the hands of the PS series, up till now.
    I think we have now seen a shift, an opening of a new market, fresh gamers coming to gaming for the first time seem to be more open to machines without the Sony logo on them, quite a revolution in its own right.
    I think its well established that the PS3 will do very well and sell what ever units are available for sale, at least in the next year or so in the states, same in europe, but I can see the Wii doing it too, folk who find the whole experience of managing a controller festooned with so many buttons and functions find the Wii controller far less intimidating, people who don't care for the GTs, PGRs and Halos of this world, folk who are happier to play Buzz or Singstar, something that can be picked up and played by the complete novice without the need to examine button prompts and such.
    Nintendo are, of course, taking pains to include gamers such as myself with deeper titles like COD3 and Trauma Centre, I quite enjoy Zelda and Red Steel too.
    Also the price point of the Wii is pitched just right for folk to invest in one, it reads as less than 300 and thats with a game, a lot less than the competitors, and for people who care little for the raw grunt of a prospective console that makes a big difference.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

cmdrpaddy wrote:
    I've just noticed that my first post was edited by a mod. I can understand the second part but the first thing I mentioned is a real and legitimate game downloading service like Steam, I've seen loads of ads for it on IGN.
    Just thought I should point that out.

Some mods would have just deleted your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

1. were they not correct? bill gates said himself, sony could package 80,000 bricks and they'd sell

2. yeah the wiimote and sixaxis are exactly the same. clearly robbing them.

3. if people are so fed up with sony "telling them what they want", then they'll vote with their feet. if you believe anything sony says will turn people off a ps3 then you're incredibly naive...

They where correct but its that sort of arrogance that will put people off and thats the reason they apologized for saying that. I dont think its naive at all to think sony will be able to put off their customers with bad pr, early adapters will always buy their consoles but bad pr that sony have been getting lately due to their own actions is seriously making things hard for them. If the ps3 gets a negative image it will be dead in the water, look what happened with the psp far better console on paper compared to the ds but its got a negative image and has pretty much lost the handheld market.

Not too sure if your being sarcastic about the wiimote and the ps3 controller but if you are then yea sony robbed the idea from the wii. There was no mention of a six axis anything till people started saying how cool the wii controller was then sony update their controller from that stupid over sized thing they had to the same old duel shock that suddenly had motion sensitivity. If you dont see a connection fair enough but too me its obvious.

Humm I have always thought that Nintendo have been ultra guilty of the above in the past, especially when it comes to the content that they allow to be released on their consoles. Where as Sony always seemed to happy to have anything released on their consoles (and let the users decide what was good or crap) Nintendo always seem to have the attitude that they know whats best for you.

I was trying to make the point that nintendo is seen as an alternative to sony who have pushed their graphics and blue ray etc making out like they are what we want where as nintendo are coming from another angle. Its true nintendo have a horrible history when it comes to allowing things to happen on their consoles, no blood in mk2 a prime example. But right now their image is of a company doing something different and and the success of the ds and now the wii has proven that people want to do things different.

I dont think the ps3 is going to fail people will buy it but the console war this time is going to be more like the megadrive and snes rather than the xbox and ps2. The wii may end up being more successful than both but will probably sit along side them the same as the pc does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Flame wars are fun... to read! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

The Wii is only as powerful as a digital watch, the 360 can transport through time, the PS3 will lead us into a new universal utopia.........

Who the **** cares!! If you dont like the Wii, then dont buy it. If you want to loose sleep over hardware specs then get a life. I have a 360 and a Wii both great machines in their own right. I dont like the look of the PS3, the fact that they force a blu-ray drive on you, the price and Sony in general are assholes. But I might get a PS3 in a few years if there are titles worth playing on it.

They. are. only. consoles. get. a. grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Flame wars are fun... to read! :D
    you should check out digg.com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

monument wrote:
    If you think so, don't buy. It is that simple.

Thanks for the tip, I'll continue to not buy anything Sony branded. I'll also continue to voice my opinion on internet forums designed for people to voice their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    you should check out digg.com :D
    I'm sorry, I'm too pre-occupied reading webcomics & reading tech-and-art blogs atm... maybe when I get some free time...

Advertisement