Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GNR Guitarists comparison

• 24-12-2006 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xuhm6_gnr-guitarist-comparison

Video comparing GNR guitarists old and new on a couple of songs. What do you guys think? Who is best at which songs?

IMO:

SCOM: Slash, Finck sucks at playing this.

Brownstone: Slash, Finck doesn't do too bad here though.

Nightrain: Fortus & Thal

November Rain: Slash, untouchable, not that Fortus is bad though.

Chinese Democracy: Finck & Thal

November Rain outro: Thal, I just really like what he does here.

KOHD: Slash, one of the best solos he's ever done.

Nightrain Outro: Buckethead, and Thal is very close behind(Although Bucket has done better than the recording on that video). This is the one solo where I feel Slash has well and truely been beaten.

No "New GNR suck" type comments please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Geek Nose

WTF? Slash is better on everything, except the lame new GNR songs. He wrote the tunes, FFS.

Buckethead better on Nightrain? Go f*ck yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Geek Nose wrote:
    Go f*ck yourself.

You better take some cop-on pills and learn to be civil if you want to hang around here much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Geek Nose wrote:
    WTF? Slash is better on everything, except the lame new GNR songs. He wrote the tunes, FFS.

Buckethead better on Nightrain? Go f*ck yourself.

:rolleyes:
    Covers can be better than originals you know...

You better take some cop-on pills and learn to be civil if you want to hang around here much longer.
    Sorry man. But as a lifelong GNR fan, it offends me. I hate that idiot Buckethead.
    Covers can be better than originals you know...

I wouldn't really class those as covers, since Axl is with them, they're still called GNR, and they're attempting to replicate the song just like the original. A cover, is a version of the song with a unique spin on it - like Faith No More's 'I'm Easy' (which is better than the original), and Metallica's 'Stone Cold Crazy'.

Ugh, offensive? It's just a guitar solo.

Slash didn't write the Nightrain solo Buckethead did, Bucket wrote it himself. I like it better than Slash's one, I'm also a big GNR fan, old and new.

I said this topic wasn't a debate regarding the validity of the New GNR in my OP anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

No-one comes close to Slash on ANY of the old GnR stuff, in my humble opinion!!! Having seen both bands live, Slash is WAY surperior at doing just about everything(except the Chinese Democracy stuff, of course)!!!

No-one comes close to Slash on ANY of the old GnR stuff, in my humble opinion!!! Having seen both bands live, Slash is WAY surperior at doing just about everything(except the Chinese Democracy stuff, of course)!!!
    Exactly. I think the OP needs his brain examined - or else he has been listening to too many Limp Bizket albums. Oh, and Slash DID write the Nightrain solo - what planet are you from?
    For the record, Buckethead may be "technically" better than Slash - but Buckethead is just a gimmicky **** player, with some fast licks, and no emotion in his playing. Slash is a musician's musician, and an incredible writer/composer who feels every note of his music. Give me Slash anytime over Buckethead in every instance.

Geez, listen to the damn thing, what Buckethead plays at the end of Nightrain isn't something Slash wrote.....

Buckethead IS NOT a gimmicky **** player.

You've clearly demonstrated that your judgement has nothing to do with music and that you've never listened to anything of Buckethead's. Buckethead is in fact one of the greatest emotional players around.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veFLvVMTCBA

Why people are so defensive over Slash is beyond me. He kicks ass, but geez, he's not some sort of infallable, unsurpassable guitar God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Original Nightrain is ****ing great. Slash nails the mood of the song, and it's one of my favourite solos to play.

Buckethead throws a bunch of sweeps and computery noises and just pisses around while not actually capturing the groove of the song.

The Slash solo kicks ass, and yeah I can play it as well and it is fun, but I love Bucket's(and Thal's) work here, the Nightrain solo is one which gives a lot of freedom methinks.

Not capturing the groove of the song? I don't agree there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Cool video!!

SCOM: Finck just copies Slash. Slash always wins coz he wrote it and there's something special about his stage prescense when playing the SCOM solo.

Brownstone: What the hell is Finck doing? Stay away from this one, please. He's trying to hard to put his own spin on it methinks. Slash again.

Nightrain: Izzy & Slash. Didn't like Fortus's version on either. Buckethead just copied Slash's solo except for the ending which sounded outta place. Thal sounded completely outta place. Izzy & Slash's fits perfectly with the sleazy, lyrical nature of the song. Prefer Bucket to Thal coz he's more faithful to the original.

November Rain: Damn, Slash is perfect. The most beautiful piece of guitar-playing! Fortus just lack that, I dunno how to describe, top-of-the-world tone, just not the same emotion or that thing that's hard to describe. Finck needs to **** off from this one.

Chinese Democracy: Finck & Thal. Finck is much better on his own stuff. Thal was slightly better than Buckethead but not much difference.

KOHD: Slash. Here's where Buckethead shows he's much better Thal. What was Thal thinking, shredding on KOHD!! Great emotional playing from Bucket in a version much closer to Bob's original. But I still can't look past Slash's solo. It's a classic.

November Rain outro: Thal. Nothing will ever beat the original studio version, but Slash never played it the same live.Thal actually plays it closer to the original than Slash. The added shred elements work kinda cool too.

Nightrain Outro: Slash. This is the best to compare coz it's three completely different solos. I don't like Buckethead's - it doesn't go anywhere. Thal's is better, his jam style suits the outro, but Slash wins coz he keeps the sense of structure. Having said that, watching a video of the new band playing the Nightrain outro is amazing.

Surprised the Paradise City outro wasn't here. I like Buckethead and Thal's version!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Pointless comparing imo... Once you cover someone's solo you can never really make it your own... I think both Slash and Buckethead are good in their own ways. From what I've heard, buckethead seems to be capable of a lot more, but Slash's solos fit more with the songs... They have a better rythm or something... But hey, it's christmas lets not argue...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Geek Nose wrote:
    For the record, Buckethead may be "technically" better than Slash - but Buckethead is just a gimmicky **** player, with some fast licks, and no emotion in his playing. Slash is a musician's musician, and an incredible writer/composer who feels every note of his music. Give me Slash anytime over Buckethead in every instance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

I think Buckethead is capable of playing some great stuff, like Whitewash and lost of his own stuff. But with GnR he overplays a lot, as do all those other players.

However its more than just his playing, Slash has a very distinctive sound/tone phrasing that IS the GnR sound for me at least. No one else plays it the same, his just fit better and tbh everyone else is just doing a cover. Nothing wrong with covers if you make them your own, but these guys aren't doing that. IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭gamb1or

At the end of the day, Buckethead>>>>Slash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Not at playing in GNR he's not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Ugh, offensive? It's just a guitar solo.

Wrong, its symbolic, as it was Slash's musical output from his time in Guns N Roses.

If someone prefers one Guns N Roses Era over another, that is there personal choice, but it is highly offensive to suggest that either Guitarist is better because we are talking about different times, equitment, backgrounds, learning methods, influences etc and obviously u stated that at the beginning of this thread, but you gotta remember for a lot of people (myself included) its not just a guitar solo.

You might think, in the case of George Harrison for example, it was just a Guitar Solo, when in fact it was his musical imput on behalf of the Beatles (since he rarely sang vocals, so listening to the record, it was his job to play the solos)
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Slash didn't write the Nightrain solo Buckethead did, Bucket wrote it himself. I like it better than Slash's one, I'm also a big GNR fan, old and new.

Be very careful what you say here. Slash wrote the original solo to Nightrain, and then Buckethead incorporated his own sound into the solo and re-wrote different pieces, he did not write the Nightrain solo (specially the one you can hear on AFD)

Futhermore, Buckethead simply learned certain parts and reworked others to adapt around the equitment he played, therefore he wouldnt exactly be credited on a 2002 live album of the new Guns N Roses act (if such a one was ever to be released) as having co-wrote Nightrain with the original members of GNR. Live albums are weird that way, as they present songs in a reworked format from the studio, but even if they are covers they have to be credited to the original composers of the studio versions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Jaysus,
    Big GNR fan.. and thought Bucketheads solo on Night train was_ok_ it didn't get the nitty gritty low down dirty .. vibe of the song though. The others I was not impressed.. they were ok, the not Slash dewds version of Brownestone is complete crap though.
    The video of Buckethead showing he has "soul" is brutal though, a four year old could write 90 percent of it, the ne ne ne ne ne ne ne parts all over it.. I found it difficult to listen to..
    Anyways - I like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW09oMknOuA&mode=related&search=
    TK

tbh this video shows Buckethead has "soul" more than the previous one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veFLvVMTCBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYxrdrzmuUw&mode=related&search=

Incredible^^^

ever hear his solo on "buckethead" by colonel claypool's bucket of bernie brains?

insane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akmP6Sjv2o

why do people always lump buckethead in with clowns like satriani and malmsteen?

Nottingham Lace is a 21st century masterpiece. Best guitar solo of the 21st century IMO.

And the "Buckethead" song he did with Les Claypool rocks!

"The folks just call him Buckethead!"

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Nottingham Lace is a 21st century masterpiece. Best guitar solo of the 21st century IMO.

And the "Buckethead" song he did with Les Claypool rocks!

"The folks just call him Buckethead!"

Nah, not "the ballad of buckethead"....

I'm talking bout "buckethead" a song from the album he did with claypool bernie worrel and brain....

if you've never heard it, you need to it'lll make you change your opinion about the best guitar solo of the millenium

gamb1or wrote:
    if you've never heard it, you need to it'lll make you change your opinion about the best guitar solo of the millenium

Ive heard it and I still think Finck is a better guitarist then Buckethead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭mrmojo

All of the guitar playing on those recordings are fantastic. Any of the new GnR stuff that I've heard has also been quality. Buckethead is a quality guitarist but I never took to him at all. I like Fortus, I think himself and Slash would have played well together. As a guitarist I'd have any of them, but as an obscenely pig headed and stubborn Slash fan, I'd have Slash over the other crowd any day.

Ive heard it and I still think Finck is a better guitarist then Buckethead
    :eek:

JC 2K3 wrote:
    :eek:

Forgive me, but your expression doesnt fill me with confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

JC 2K3 wrote:
    He kicks ass, but geez, he's not some sort of infallable, unsurpassable guitar God.

I'M AFRAID HE IS!

slash is class and it rhymes so its true, so there.

only joking, you can't compare guitar solo's that buckethead covers, thats like me saying i'm better than david gilmour because i put my own spin on his solo's and I/SOMEONE think its a better version, i just doesn't work like that

and from what i can remember slash was an awful lot better.

Advertisement