Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games for Windows

Options
  • 24-12-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I recently borrowed Company of Heroes off a friend to see if my computer got handle it before deciding to purchase it for Christmas. Even though my graphics card is certainly nothing to write home about, it seemed okay so I went off and bought the game.

Now I just discovered that the game works without the CD because its a "Games For Windows" game. I'm just wondering, how exactly do this system operate. What's stopping mass piracy? I'm guessing that there must be some procedure in place to prevent people just installing the game on their pc then giving the game to a friend who gives it to another friend etc. Something like preventing the game being played if the same keycode is detected twice or whatever.

So if there is, should I uninstall my friend's version of the game from my PC and install it again using my key code or should I be okay just playing away as it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Usually you can't play without the CD in, there are no CD cracks which are legal as long as you own the origional game, but if you dont indeed it is illegal, as for the CD key you dont need that unless you intend to play on-line. From a legal perspective you dont need to uninstall his version if you own one yourself, just having it will cover you.

Same way you can download games off the net as long as you own a legal copy of the origional game, in case the CD gets damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

if you or your friend plan on playing online though, deffo reinstall it with your own key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Pugsley wrote:
    Same way you can download games off the net as long as you own a legal copy of the origional game, in case the CD gets damaged.

Would it not be illegal if it was a different version/filesize/checksum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Would it not be illegal if it was a different version/filesize/checksum?
    Patchs for games are free anyway, filesize can vary between regions, doubt checksum would make a difference either. However if you mean you own a UK version, and you get a US version, as some games are different (ie: Heroes of Annihilated Empires, the UK one is on a DVD, the US one is on 3 CD's), in that case Im not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

There's nothing stopping mass piracy as such. Other than needing a CD-Key if you want to play online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It seem's most modren relic game's such as company of hero's and dawn of war work with out the cd i imagen its more than than anything to do with game's for window's

Advertisement