Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on Esat BT increasing download/upload speeds?

Options
  • 24-12-2006 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Not unless Eircom do and thats highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

kaizersoze wrote:
    Not unless Eircom do and thats highly unlikely.

:mad:

Don't get me wrong we have pretty good speeds as it is, but we're miles behind the rest of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

:mad:

Don't get me wrong we have pretty good speeds as it is, but we're miles behind the rest of the world
    yeh but it's unlikely anything will change.

of course i'd love to see some benefits of eircom's upgrade of the network they annouced there a while back but considering the prices they are charging now for 3mbit/384k i'd shudder to think what 20mbit+ will cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im really happy with my speeds too but yeh were miles behind the rest of the world and that hurts

Cremo wrote:
    yeh but it's unlikely anything will change.

of course i'd love to see some benefits of eircom's upgrade of the network they annouced there a while back but considering the prices they are charging now for 3mbit/384k i'd shudder to think what 20mbit+ will cost.

I'd be happy with 5mb/2mb

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

^^ cant see the above happening for another 2 to 3 years while the rest of hte world is on 50mb+

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

THe governemnet should ban them from increasing speeds until they get 100 percent covrage ie.servicing peeps like me

THe governemnet should ban them from increasing speeds until they get 100 percent covrage ie.servicing peeps like me

Its not our fault you live in the sticks :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

DSL works perfectly well in the sticks albeit not on eircoms network. British DSL from BT works out to 10km while 'our' DSL works out to 5km (maybe 6km nowadays).

The government should indeed bring in a universal service obligation for BB. The only issue to my mind is whether it would be best to force eircom to pay someone more competent than they to actually deliver it for them.

Back to the original point, there wil be no speed rises outside the 4 or 5 largest cities next year. There is no pressure on eircom since they put smart (nearly) out of business, is there???

well prices are coming down.....

• Advertisement

well prices are coming down.....
    Which will be almost wiped out by the line rental increase expected in January.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

a lot of satellite commuter town like Navan (and many others) are having MAN rings installed (no jokes please ;)) with completion to be expected mid 2007 iirc.

here's a pic of the one for Navan. not sure what it'll mean for residential customers, but i run a ltd. company from home so i don't mind either way. :)

navan_min2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

All the providers could at least ditch the cap in favour of a fair usage policy! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Don't get me wrong we have pretty good speeds as it is

http://www.lightreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=63067

here was me thinking HK was behind the times :)

yeh its roughly $230 USD per month for the 1gig service, but heh thats like what in euro?

according to www.ucc.com, at todays exchange rate that works out at €22.54

but then you have to think about the extra cost of getting a cerebral implant so your eyes and brain can cope with the speeds you'll be looking at web pages. :)

oh BTW, that news article was from November 2004, just to rub salt in the wounds. :(

It may mean that an exchange or two will be unbundled but thats only if ESB fibre is available in Navan as well as the MAN

To really benefit form a MAN you will need, in addition to ESB backhaul, a fibre drop to your premises and then you can get 5mbits/5mbits (bursting to 10/10 or even 100/100 for 5% of the time max) uncontended for c.€500 a month ex vat. 10/10 bursting to 20/20 (or 100/100) would be €700 a month.

At that rate you can offer a 'service' to your neighbours to defray some of the costs :p
    vibe666 wrote:

here's a pic of the one for Navan. not sure what it'll mean for residential customers, but i run a ltd. company from home so i don't mind either way. :)

navan_min2.jpg

But are you NEAR that MAN as in within 100 metres????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

actually this is a bit off topic but....
    there is an eircom hatch right outside the gate of my house and i know for a fact that there is fibre running there to the states or somewhere.... im just wondering what thats for?? a bb backbone? and would it ever be possible to bring an extension off said fibre to provide very high speed internet to my area?

kaizersoze wrote:
    Which will be almost wiped out by the line rental increase expected in January.:(
    wtf are you on bout? can you provid more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

vibe666 wrote:
    according to www.ucc.com, at todays exchange rate that works out at €22.54

Sorry to be a pain but according to www.xe.com USD $230 is more like 175 euro

@dak: I was thinking in HK$ not US$, I didn't notice the USD bit in the OP.

oh, and I meant www.xe.com/ucc :)

still, you'd pay it for those speeds either way, just so you could say that the main bottleneck in your internet connection was your pc! :D

@spongebob: the MAN is being installed to allow ISP's to offer better services to local business and residential customers and afaik is nothing to do with the ESB at all. I've seen both BT and Eircom digging around the same area at the same time, so fingers crossed we'll be getting a slice of the pie in June/July when it all gets switched on in 2007.

hopefully. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

vibe666 wrote:
    @dak: I was thinking in HK$ not US$, I didn't notice the USD bit in the OP.

oh, and I meant www.xe.com/ucc :)

I just read the lightreading link posted by Big chief ! We are Celtic Cavemen compared to the ppl in Japan !!

ab_cork wrote:
    would it ever be possible to bring an extension off said fibre to provide very high speed internet to my area?

only if it were <cough> diverted .
    vibe 666 wrote:
    afaik is nothing to do with the ESB at all.
    Really, and how dows the h-intIRnit get from Dublin to Navan then one wonders ????

I make it you are (technically) no better off than Kiltimagh which has a Man dug into it for 3 years and no services on that MAN

ntfon1_new1.jpg

Now if you were Cavan not Navan you would be grand .

wtf are you on bout? can you provid more info?
    WTF I'm on about is the widely expected line rental increase around the end of January. It's expected to rise to €28 which would wipe out much of the last wholesale price reduction. It's been discussed on boards before but nothing has been announced officially.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    Really, and how dows the h-intIRnit get from Dublin to Navan then one wonders ????
    Sponge, our MAN is currently being dug in and we have no ESB fibre either but they're using BT fibre (WDC) for backhaul, I've been told. Maybe Navan has a bit of BT fibre aswell.

the WDC (Western Digital Corridor built by Ocean ) does not run thru Navan either although it has the same capacity as the ESB fibre overall so Ballinasloe will be well provided for with it.

I know the WDC doesn't run through Navan but BT should have some sort of fibre there (isn't Navan one of their unbundled exchanges?) or would that fibre only be for their own use?

BT probably have some of their lower capacity railway line fibre installed in Navan since the mid 1990s , this generation of fibre is insignificant as compared to the capacity of the DWDM fibre installed in the ESB loop in the diagram above and also the WDC fibre which is more or less the same.

For anyone else reading this the WDC runs Dublin-Mullingar-Athlone-Galway-Shannon-Limerick

(and maybe also Limerick-Nenagh-Portlaoise-Dublin)

and follows the N4/N6/N7 routes not the railway lines.

The WDC and ESB fibre combinations explains why Cisco and IBM have recent operations in Galway and not in Navan.....shall we say :D

It would be roughly as cheap to drop 2.5gbits into Ballinasloe as it would be to drop 30mbits or 155mbits (one of ) into Navan next time you feel the need to pimp your hood Kaiser. You do have another option in Ballinasloe .

There is a mysterious third option available in Galway and Ballinasloe and possibly Navan. I say mysterious because Aurora tell nobody anything .

This is the fibre following Gas pipes and sold for the Gas board by their arm Aurora Telecom . The Gas network depicted below would have ducting , usually empty , installed if the pipes are post 1995. I suspect Navan is on a pre 1995 pipeline though while Ballinasloe and Galway are on recently built pipelines which have the ducting.

pipeline_map.gif

Sponge Bob wrote:
    next time you feel the need to pimp your hood Kaiser.
    I don't need to pimp anything Sponge, my hood sells itself.:p :D

kaizersoze wrote:
    WTF I'm on about is the widely expected line rental increase around the end of January. It's expected to rise to €28 which would wipe out much of the last wholesale price reduction. It's been discussed on boards before but nothing has been announced officially.

what do you mean when you say 28 euro?

are you saying every bill will rise on average by 28?

i know if your on pay as you go with eircom you pay by minutes,so will the amount for a min increase?by how muhc?

i know if your on pay as you go with eircom you pay by minutes,so will the amount for a min increase?by how muhc?

I mean the standard line rental, that everyone pays, is expected to rise from it's current rate of €24.20p/m to €28p/m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

kaizersoze wrote:
    It's expected to rise to €28

Come now, let's show some intelligence here. When someone says LINE RENTAL is expected to rise TO Eur 28, how can you possibly think that they mean "every bill will rise on average by 28"?

Well, first I'm pretty sure you actually pay by the second with eircom, not per minute. Second, that has nothing to do with line rental.

Advertisement