Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on Esat BT increasing download/upload speeds?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

I also found this, which may be of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, those of us who drive back and forth to Navan reguarly couldn't help but notice the big signs at the side of the road announcing the 'meath broadband project' as we were coming and going, very slowly in queues of traffic due to the digging up of roads to lay the fibre, so forgive us if we're gullible enough to think that they might just go through with it all after investing so much time and money into the thing (actually, this is Ireland, so maybe not:)).

from the www.meathbroadband.ie website:
    Broadband in County Meath, Happy Christmass Everyone.

Meath County Council is currently managing the delivery of infrastructure (fibre network) to 5 towns in the County before May 2007 with a further delivery to another 5 towns after that. The provision of high capacity broadband infrastructure is an essential enabler for economic development in the County. This infrastructure is the first step in ensuring a modern and effective communications network is made available to the businesses and residents of Meath.

The Department of Communications Marine and Natural Resources recognizes the importance of high quality broadband infrastructure to the economic development of Meath and will fund 90% of the capital cost of laying fibre optic cable in the towns. The balance of 10% must be funded by the local authority.
    When the fibre has been laid, it will be "lit" and space rented by interested telecommunication companies whose business it is to deliver broadband internet access to the customers at a competitive price. The infrastructure will continue to be owned by Meath County Council.

doesn't look to be anything much to do with the ESB or anyone similar as far as I can see from their blurb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

vibe666 wrote:
    forgive us if we're gullible enough to think that they might just go through with it all after investing so much time and money into the thing (actually, this is Ireland, so maybe not:)).
    ah no, they will dig up 5 towns and put fibre in them. Just like they say they will. But how will they connect them 5 towns in Meath to the hinternet yoke then????

Meath county council is digging in Navan and elsewhere. It is not digging between towns though, is it ??

Always Remember Kiltimagh
    ! Kiltimagh has had a MAN with nice shiny fibre for years. The Kiltimagh MAN is not connected to anything else .
    doesn't look to be anything much to do with the ESB or anyone similar as far as I can see from their blurb.

A man with no backhaul is a concreted up hole with fibre in it . It has EVERYTHING to do with someone else. I listed the suspects with assets in the vicinity . The ESB will not be the provider for Navan as they are miles away.

ah, okay then.

but they have also been digging between towns as well, as anyone who's spent ages sitting in traffic between navan and dunshaughlin will tell you.

i know what you're saying tho, but the optimist in me is holding onto the thought that they are smart enough to know that doing all this and not following it through to completion will result in me running into the local council offices with an m16 and a bunch of grenades to show them the error of their ways. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you run your own business mate then its up to you to ENSURE that they are going to connect these MANs to something, meaning Dublin.

Annoy enet.ie and the local county council to make sure they do. Start today.

Do not presume that because it would be a good idea that therefore it will happen. :eek:

• Advertisement

technically i do run my own business, but i'm just an IT contractor, so no real need for premises or anything like that. just mostly for the tax breaks really, but faster internet is always a good thing. I'm a big fan of the internet and everything it has to offer and BT's 3mbit residential service is creaking under the strain of my day to day usage, so the bigger and better it gets the happeir i'll be. :)

Advertisement