Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Les Reed leaves Charlton!

• 24-12-2006 8:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

C4 News just announced, Alan Pardew to replace him.

What a farce.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭wba88

OMG!.......well they havent won away in 2006 (in the prem..yet!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Hmmmn, there is nothing yet about it on bbc yet
    Is this confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

its on skysports website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Nice pay off for him! did'nt he have a 3 year contract? I blame the charlton players(effort and lack of ability) more than their last few managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Nice pay off for him! did'nt he have a 3 year contract? I blame the charlton players(effort and lack of ability) more than their last few managers

I blame that portion of their fans who turned on Curbishleytowards the end of his reign, and the chairman for (a) sacking Dowie after 15 games, then (b) appointing Reed and giving him a 3 year contract a week before sacking him!

Between the £11m Dowie got to spend, and the payoff for Reed, Curbishley could have got some decent players in to keep Charlton towards the top half of the table. That should have been the sum of their ambitions TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Reed engineered a player revot on Dowie ensuring he got sacked, im glad Reed got the sack deserved it tbh.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

:eek::eek:

Curbishley leaves Charlton.
    Dowie leaves Palace.
    Dowie joins Charlton.
    Palace sue Dowie.
    Dowie leaves Charlton.
    Reed takes over.
    Pardew leaves West Ham.
    Curbishley joins West Ham.
    Reed leaves Charlton.
    Pardew joins Charlton.

All in 6 months! Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Not too exciting to be honest when you consider it is 4 people and 3 clubs.

Dowie leaves Palace to join Charlton.
    Palace sue Dowie for breech of contract.
    Dowie leaves Charlton because he is about to be sacked.

Reed takes over because Dowie leaves.
    Reed leaves Charlton because he is about to be sacked.

Curbishley leaves Charlton by his own accord 6 months ago.
    Curbishley joins West Ham because they need a manager

Pardew leaves West Ham because he is about to be sacked.
    Pardew joins Charlton because they need a manager.

I think you're over-simplifying there Jesus ;)

Dowie left Palace under agreement with the chairman. Apparently Dowie said it was for family reasons only and was released from his contract. That same week he joined Charlton, Palace were rightly p***** off.

Charlton then offload Dowie after 1/4 of the season. Soon after Pardew is given the boot by West Ham's new owner.

From what I observe, the only people who have conducted themselves in a professional manner were Curbishley (who had a very long stint at Charlton and understandably wanted a change) and Pardew (who would still be at West Ham if not for new Icelandic dude).

Charlton are going to get relegated (my opinion) and will only have themselves to blame for the fiasco. Pardew would need to work miracles to save them, I cant see it personally but if he stays with them I'd bet on them making swift return to the PL.

Was never mad about Dowie as a manager, again he dug his own grave by showing no loyalty to Palace where things were going ok. He was shown the same disloyalty by his "team" at Charlton. And as for Reed, well he never convinced me he was going to keep them up in fairness.

Ah the soap opera panto of the premiership we all love to hate :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Savman wrote:

From what I observe, the only people who have conducted themselves in a professional manner were Curbishley (who had a very long stint at Charlton and understandably wanted a change) and Pardew (who would still be at West Ham if not for new Icelandic dude).

Ok, so the only drama is:

Dowie leaves Palace.
    Dowie joins Charlton.
    Palace sue Dowie.
    Dowie leaves Charlton.
    Reed takes over.
    Reed leaves Charlton.

;)

• Advertisement

Ok, so the only drama is:

Dowie leaves Palace.
    Dowie joins Charlton.
    Palace sue Dowie.
    Dowie leaves Charlton.
    Reed takes over.
    Reed leaves Charlton.

;)
    Yeah but it's Chrimbo I had to sell it :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 irishaddick

Its tough to be a Charlton supporter!

Reed was always a Charlton supporter and I can well believe
    "Les Reed has left his position as Charlton's head coach by mutual consent, the club announced on Sunday evening."

The club couldnt afford another pay off like that.

Dowies signings this season have not paid off. the only one really must be Andy Reid, pity about his fitness.

I have been at three games this year. The first was when they beat Bolton 2-1, loss to Arsenal 2-1 and a trashing at spurs 5-1.
    It was the spurs game that opened my eyes. Outside the manager, the team looked like school kids once they went down by 1 goal they turned off, hoofing the ball all over the shop.

I think they will go down this year, I hate to admit it, but someone has to be relegated and they are up there.

Surely though it cant all rest on the hands of the manager the players must carry some of the blame. Their defeat to Wycombe was crazy, the team its self should have been up for it out side whats going on in the backroom.

I think personally Pardew is a good hire for them. he will be bitter enough after his sacking from West Ham , he will be wanting to do better than them.

Curbs is a good manager though, but needed to move on from the Addicks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I think they will go down this year, I hate to admit it, but someone has to be relegated and they are up there.

Down there, I think you'll find! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a suprise (except in its timing) I'd read or heard Pardews name heavil;y connected with the job three days ago in the aftermath of the League Cup game.

Mike.

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Down there, I think you'll find! :D
    Grinch! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Savman wrote:
    I think you're over-simplifying there Jesus ;)

Dowie left Palace under agreement with the chairman. Apparently Dowie said it was for family reasons only and was released from his contract. That same week he joined Charlton, Palace were rightly p***** off.

Charlton then offload Dowie after 1/4 of the season. Soon after Pardew is given the boot by West Ham's new owner.

Charlton are going to get relegated (my opinion) and will only have themselves to blame for the fiasco. Pardew would need to work miracles to save them, I cant see it personally but if he stays with them I'd bet on them making swift return to the PL.

Was never mad about Dowie as a manager, again he dug his own grave by showing no loyalty to Palace where things were going ok. He was shown the same disloyalty by his "team" at Charlton. And as for Reed, well he never convinced me he was going to keep them up in fairness.

Ah the soap opera panto of the premiership we all love to hate :D

We need a theme song, something like the intro to Dallas....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It was inevitable after Reed got the dreaded vote of confidence :)

If the reports were true and he was a part of a player revolt against Dowie that aided his sacking, then Reed himself deserved what he got. Shortest managerial reign in Premiership history!

Charlton are really up **** creek. After having one manager in 18 years, they've now had 3 in a couple of months. I like Alan Pardew and I'd like to see him do well, but if I'd have Charlton as stick on no-hopers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I really think Dowie shouldn't have been sacked in the first place. I mean what did the Charlton board expect, that Dowie and Reed could instanlty and seamlessly inherit Curbishley's team? For me Dowie wasn't given a good enough chance and appointing Reed was just a knee-jerk panic reaction which was never goingto pay off imo.

Advertisement