Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport scans and HD's

Options
  • 24-12-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Since I don't have the space nor a laptop, I am thinking of pulling my hd's out and packing them in my hand luggage, but does anybody know if the scans at the airports will screw them up? I have about 200 gig filled that I will add to a new pc when I arrive while my other things including my 2 desktop pc's are shipped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

You'll be grand, I've brought my laptop through many an x-ray machine without a bother. It's large magnetic fields you need to be worrying about...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Hmm, I know the x-ray machines they use to scan your carry on baggage don't harm them, but I've heard that the machines they use to scan hold baggage are much stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Numerous travels and no problems with x-ray machines with regard to the hard drive, you'll be fine. I wouldn't put anything valuable in my luggage, it'd get a right battering no matter how much padding you put around it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Stephen wrote:
    Hmm, I know the x-ray machines they use to scan your carry on baggage don't harm them, but I've heard that the machines they use to scan hold baggage are much stronger.

I'm not sure if this is true anymore, fluroscopy and backscatter x-ray machines are more prevalent now (depending on where you're flying too and from). Both use less x-rays and achieve a better image.

That said, I wouldn't put anything as valuable as a laptop or harddrive into my hold baggage!

(Dammit Ruu!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

x-ray radiation cannot effect any for of technology. just organic tissue. at high doses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement