Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The direction of Athiesm/Agnosticism

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

No matter what kind of results we get with science, they still need to be interpreted by us.

i.e. We may be able to study things we can't see, but only as a result of their effects on things we can.

Our senses have only evolved to help us survive on this planet, only 5 ways to view the universe... what if our senses are as limited as the size of our planet?
    If these entities cannot be detected by our senses nor be detected by any machine we could ever construct, then they will never have any effect on us. We would never be able to interact them, making discussions on them pointless.

Besides there is a significant amount of science which has no interpretation.

Considerations like this never lead anywhere. If our science was so limited why can it plot the evolution of the universe since its "birth"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Back to the 'Direction of Atheism'

This situation gives rise to a New Year's prediction that 2007 will see an intensified war of religion in America, or, perhaps more accurately, a war of the religious against the irreligious, and why that should be happening just now is an important sign of the times, a reflection of our moment in history.
    http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/02/news/letter.php

Atheists have generally tended to live their lives quietly inside the comfortable cocoon of their secular community, in which, say, a blessing before dinner, or some remark about Jesus' love would be about as chic as cappuccino made with instant coffee.

Nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

one fundamental 'belief' that there is no God has far reaching ramifications for understanding life, the universe & everything.

The one ramification I wanted to explore is the question of meaning/purpose

Perhaps you could explain the ramifications as you see them?

The way I see it is as follows :

---

Theist : The universe exists because God wants it to. The meaning of our existence is defined by God. We can neither know nor understand these meanings and purposes, but trust in God.

Theist (paraphrased) : We've no idea what the meaning/purpose is, but trust that God does, and therefore that meaning/purpose exists.

Atheist : The universe exists. Make of it what you will.

Atheist (paraphrased) : We find meaning/purpose for ourselves because thats all we can do.

---

From my perspective, neither side really knows anything about what the grand all-spanning meaning/purpose is (if such meaning/purpose is), but the atheists aren't delegating the problem.

I see no other ramifications....and I don't think this is the major one

Advertisement