Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diabetes in Dogs

Options
  • 25-12-2006 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering how obvious the signs of diabetes are in dogs. I know what to look for and all (i.e., the usual drinking and urinating excessively etc etc) but how noticable is it?

Thanx!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Never experienced it myself - but any dog that starts to drink a lot more than normal should be checked out just to be on the safe side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Drinking and urinating (and often eating) more than normal are the obvious signs of diabetes in the dog but how obvious they are is debatable. If the dog is outside most of the time with its water bowl you obviously wont be aware how much it's drinking or urinating. Some dogs are diagnosed by accident on a blood/urine test and have no signs, while others have few signs at all but then become very sick due to complications - dull, depressed, dehydrated.

If you think there has been an increase in drinking/urinating though then it is likely that there has been.

However, these signs - increased drinking/urination are common signs of many other diseases also - mostly hormonal ones, so you should take the dog to the vet for examination and if necessary screening for some of these. A simple urine test can screen for diabetes. It's not an emergency unless the dog seems out of sorts but definitely go after christmas.

Also - if the dog is an entire bitch with increased drinking/urinating she could have developed pyometra, an infection of the uterus, which is much more serious but usually makes the dog much more ill as well. If this is the case then definitley go the vet as soon as you can.

So - it's not always obvious, it's not necessarily diabetes and if the dog seems sick go to the vet soon.

ETA: Increased drinking/urination is also the most common side effect of taking steroid medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

nando is very correct here as polydypsia and polyuria can be symptoms of many disorders. Weightloss is another one to look for and also your pet being generally lethargic. Best thing i would think would be to arrange an early morning appointment with your vet and have your pet starving from 8pm the night before. Your vet can do a very simply blood test much like the one used for diabeties in humans to see the glucose levels and to see where to go from there.

As with some humans diabeties is easily controlled in dogs and cats alike. Daily insulin injections into the scruff of the next and a careful diet and your pet can live for many years with this. Also the medication isnt expensive, but getting him stabilised maybe as he/she would prolly have top be in the vets for a few days. Not talking thousands here but many a couple of hundred depending on your vet. Main thing is its not the end of the world! Just remember the main things to stick to the advise from your vet and keep aweay from the treats and here and there feeding for your pet as i said they require STRICK FEEDING TIMES!!!

Advertisement