Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I ruined Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jakkass wrote:
    I think the OP had the right principle in mind just went about it in the wrong way. If he had sat down and explained it differently and more calmly it would have gone better.

And I think the OP may have been exaggerating when he said he "slammed" the kid into the wall. I still think though however, the root of this problem is right down to the Parents, I travel quite a lot with work, and I've never seen anything like Irish Parents for turning a blind eye to the crap their little darlings do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 vermont

Look OP it's totally understandable that you lost the rag with this little bollix, especially seeing as how you're probably close to your brother and that, but in this case, you lost the rag with the wrong person. It's defo down to the kids' parents, who have clearly no backbone and are allowing themselves to be run roughshod over by their kids... picture the scenario in ten years time and it ain't so pretty I can tell you.
    Also, you say your brother will get on to you and tell you it's forgotten about etc, well that's another problem right there. YOU should be telling HIM that it's NOT forgotten about, that his no-backbone parenting is ****e, and that for 2007, one of his resolutions should be to be the boss of his own house, and not have his kids be the boss of him.

In future, you should take that type of approach, rather than dish it out directly to the kids. End of the day, it's down to the parents....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Look parents can read all the books and do everything right and kids will still on ocassion act out.

Most grown ups will have the wit to ignore ths child and let the parents deal with it and even if the parents don't they do not have the right to shout at and physically acost the child.

They can at a later time raise the issue with the parents but not there and then as it underminds them infront of the child.

It could be the parents were upset ans tunned and sad whn this happened or even not in the room when this happened and clearly they didn't get a chance to deal with the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Thaedyhal wrote:
    they do not have the right to shout at and physically acost the child.

This is a very touchy subject, and there are two sides to this. I happen to think that excessive force is wrong but force in itself isn't. Feel free to disagree and call me a monster for thinking so. But if using an adequate use of force is working as a beneficial tool to curb your childs behaviour then you should be entitled to use it, again within reason. This however should be only used if the child continues to disobey verbal commands, I don't think its right for one person to tell another how they should discipline their child unless their punishment is injuring them, or psychologically harming them. The reason for thinking so is that circumstances differ and children differ and some methods work better than others in some cases. And legally they are allowed to do this unless it is seriously infringing on the living conditions of the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Jakkass wrote:
    This is a very touchy subject, and there are two sides to this. I happen to think that excessive force is wrong but force in itself isn't. Feel free to disagree and call me a monster for thinking so.

I agree with what you're saying Jakkass. Discipline, once done with good intentions, and with the child's best interests at heart, is welcome in all it's forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Jakkass wrote:
    This is a very touchy subject, and there are two sides to this. I happen to think that excessive force is wrong but force in itself isn't. Feel free to disagree and call me a monster for thinking so. But if using an adequate use of force is working as a beneficial tool to curb your childs behaviour then you should be entitled to use it, again within reason. This however should be only used if the child continues to disobey verbal commands, I don't think its right for one person to tell another how they should discipline their child unless their punishment is injuring them, or psychologically harming them. The reason for thinking so is that circumstances differ and children differ and some methods work better than others in some cases. And legally they are allowed to do this unless it is seriously infringing on the living conditions of the child.
    Yes, but the uncle of the child doesn't have the right to touch the child no matter what the little brat is up to!
    This isn't a debate on whether or not physical action should be taken by a parent to discipline their child.
    If anyone other that my parents had taken it upon themselves to "discipline" me there'd be war! And rightly so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Thaedydal wrote:
    Most grown ups will have the wit to ignore ths child and let the parents deal with it and even if the parents don't they do not have the right to shout at and physically acost the child.

Many grown ups will be appalled with the sort of misbehaviour and might resist the temptation to do something to redress the situation.

Unfortunately the OP did not resist. The parents appear to be incompetent on the basis of what the OP reported. Happily I do not encounter this sort of child very often so temptation is not put in my way.

Jakkass wrote:
    Feel free to disagree and call me a monster for thinking so. But if using an adequate use of force is working as a beneficial tool to curb your childs behaviour then you should be entitled to use it, again within reason.

Note the fact that even you stated that such punisments should be meeted out by the parents not anyone else.
    Jakkass wrote:
    I don't think its right for one person to tell another how they should discipline their child unless their punishment is injuring them, or psychologically harming them. The reason for thinking so is that circumstances differ and children differ and some methods work better than others in some cases. And legally they are allowed to do this unless it is seriously infringing on the living conditions of the child.

Again thier child, for parents to decide not someone visiting the house.

I do believe in limits and structure for children and them learning the consequences of thier action but it needs to be done in a certain manner and not by a visiting family member loosing the rag at a child.

The same way we teach children words to express how they are feeling we also have to use those words to express disproval rather then lashing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Botswana

Jakkass wrote:
    And legally they are allowed to do this unless it is seriously infringing on the living conditions of the child.

Legally people are allowed slam other people's 7 year old kids against the wall?

Come on now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Indeed I feel that the OP did lash out, however he does show remorse for doing so. The OP should have had a quiet and calm word with the boy. But hey we all make mistakes, and this was his. He had good intentions in mind. Of course I don't believe that the uncle should have responsibility in punishing the child, I was merely responding to what Thaedyhal was saying. Read the quote I used from Thaedyhal, I was regarding the parents not the uncle.

I'm sorry, but there are no excuses when it comes to lashing out at children. In my opinion, you'd have to be sick to want to slam a 7 year old against the wall, call him a ****er, and tell him there's no Santa.

If I was the OP, I'd be horrified by my behavior and would be trying to find out why I thought it was somehow acceptable to attack a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Thaedydal wrote:
    Children are not prefect they have to be taught to walk and talk and how to behave and it can be trying but you don't throw wobbilies at them and slam them into walls, esp when they are not your children there are other ways.

Totally agree, and I cant help but wonder if your problem was *really* with your brothers parenting skills as you see them rather than a kid mis-behaving on xmas morning.
    What YOU did was a lot more immature and dis-respectful to your brother than anything his 7 year old child could ever do to him.
    What you did was not educate him about wrong / right, what you did was to physically and verbally abuse a 7 year old. Not to mention ruining what should be a nice day for his five year old sister. (What you see as ruining a nice day, ie: him being a pain in the ass, to his sister may be "a "normal" day but nicer because its xmas").

If you have a problem with a 7 year old, you discuss the problem with his parents, they after all, are who you are frustrated with for allowing him to be that way.
    Everyone knows a 7 year old is a product of their enviroment and NOT yet independently assessing situations in an adult manner. If you think otherwise you have unrealistic expectations.

Ask your mother how *you* behaved when *you* were 7. You may be surprised by her answer! ;)

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

OP, it was a bad reaction, we all know it, saying it to the child that his dad had worked very hard and that the child was making him sad would have probably been enough from an uncle's role, together with some disapproving looks at the childs attempts for attention.

Whatever about the boy, if you have a decent relationshp with the little girl, maybe it might be a good idea to mention to their parents that you could take her to one side and tell her you were upset by how her brother was treating your brother and said something mean, just like he had to his father, and that you were sorry she heard and it wasn't true.

The parents might want to leave it as is, but it would be a shame for the little girl to miss out because of her brothers misbeheaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Well, I doubt he'll be acting like that when he gets an unwanted present again.

That does not make it right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Thaedydal wrote:
    That does not make it right.
    I didn't say it does. I'm just trying to show the good that came from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cooee

Sorry - but it's a CHILD of 7 years, regardless of how annoying they are what you did was unforgivable. It was a CHILD - you cannot apply adult logic or adult manners or use adult language to try to get a CHILD to see the world the way an adult does.
    Kids can be awful, hurtful, ungrateful wretches - but it was the fathers place to admonish the child and define boundries for their behaviour.

Telling a child of that age to "cop on" or "behave" does just not work.

Cooee wrote:
    Sorry - but it's a CHILD of 7 years, regardless of how annoying they are what you did was unforgivable. It was a CHILD - you cannot apply adult logic or adult manners or use adult language to try to get a CHILD to see the world the way an adult does.
    Kids can be awful, hurtful, ungrateful wretches - but it was the fathers place to admonish the child and define boundries for their behaviour.

Telling a child of that age to "cop on" or "behave" does just not work.

I agree. I think (hope) most of the posts here are from teenagers/not parents.

It's funny that there is no enforced parenting course. You know, you do not hit children, etc.

Parenting course are a lot more then just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Botswana wrote:

Unfortunately and very very sadly, this may not be the case.
    The area in which I live, there are many teenagers who *are* also parents, and many parents who *behave* like teenagers. :(

On a daily basis, just going to the local shop, I see kids being slapped (often hard imo), having their arms and shoulders almost wrenched out of their shoulders by "mammy or daddy" grabbing them to steer them towards the isle containing the bottles of special brew and beer, and / or being yelled screamed at or being publicly humiliated by said "parents".

*sigh

Then I wonder why these kids grow up to be the kids who, from the age of 10+, break my windows with rocks and make me and my partner afraid to leave the house alone. I must be stupid.

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Jayziz, goin on about views, move this thread to humanities yea?

The parents of the kid don't mind what happened so stop goin on about what you think cos you have kids and are biased.

Botswana wrote:
    It's funny that there is no enforced parenting course. You know, you do not hit children, etc.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    Parenting course are a lot more then just that.
    Botswana wrote:
    See here
    ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Cooee wrote:
    It was a CHILD - you cannot apply adult logic or adult manners or use adult language to try to get a CHILD to see the world the way an adult does.

Which is why sitting down and having a quiet word with little timmy about unacceptable behavour is nonsense imo. Children are not adults, treating them as mini adults wont do them any favours

OP i used to have a similar problem with my sisters kids at christmas, though they were a bit older. they used to walk all over her because she was too laid back (and they saw their father doing the same) and generally had no respect for her, when they'd scream at her while visiting me they were told in no uncertain terms what would happen if they didnt treat my sister with more respect in my house. I actually kicked the little darlings out on one occasion. Now that theyre grown up we get along real well though, no lasting damage :eek:

They might not be your kids but you don't have to tolerate their behaviour when they're disfunctioning in front of you. Well not in your own home anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

why did the kid's parents buy him a present??

christmas morning you wake up- santy has been, and you play with whatever crap santy got you, until i breaks at about 11am

so again... why did they give the kid a present on christmas day???

maybe they was worried their kid would like santy more then them

I'm just gonna to stop now before i post a insult of your brother and his gf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭killeoin

For me, all my happiest childhood memorys seem to revolve around the magic of Christmas Eve and the whole excitment about Santa (cornflakes ad anyone?:)) The magic never really came again until Santa started coming to my own kids. These are my most treasured memorys. To deny a child (& the parents) those memorys under any circumstances is just plain evil in my book. How dare you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Bambi wrote:
    OP i used to have a similar problem with my sisters kids at christmas, though they were a bit older. they used to walk all over her because she was too laid back (and they saw their father doing the same) and generally had no respect for her, when they'd scream at her while visiting me they were told in no uncertain terms what would happen if they didnt treat my sister with more respect in my house. I actually kicked the little darlings out on one occasion. Now that theyre grown up we get along real well though, no lasting damage :eek:

Most people are all for the idea of the extended family having a role in raising children. I have no doubt that mine, and most of all of our grandmothers, aunties, cousins and various other elders spanked and told off the various infant population in their immediate vicinity at some stage or other. In my opinion, that's pretty harmless, it's a part of family life.

But if the op's description of what happened is in anyway accurate: he went too far. He lost it: he actually 'hit' the child, and told him and his siter about Santa Claus. OP, while it's well within your rights (rights?) as a brother and an uncle to have a word with the parents, and tell the kid off, you should be apologizing to your brother for such uncontrolled behaviour, and for such anger and bitterness in front of his children. What kind of uncle grabs a seven year old by the collar and shoves him against the wall? I dunno, I can't help but feel (or hope) that you may be exaggerating through guilt, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Scrooge. wrote:
    I went over to my brother and his girlfriends house for Christmas morning. His nippers were up and about, excited about Christmas morning. Their 7 year old boy, a right cheecky brat, opened his presents. He was happy about his present from "Santy" but said he didn't like the present his parents got him, saying it was "crap".

I let it slip. But later on, he started sulking and pulling faces because he wasn't happy about the gift "Dad" bought him. I looked at the hurt look on my Brother's face and I nearly just lost it.

"Look" I said, "James worked very hard for that present so you better start being more respectful". He again started pulling faces and repeated my words in a sarcastic voice. I let it go.

But when he started flinging the gift "Dad" got him out the window because it was "crap" and "useless", i just totally flipped. I caught him by the collar of his pjs and shoved him into the wall.

"Look you little ****er, your DAD worked hard for those presents, he bought every single one of them, there is no Santa. You better start behaving or I'll throw you straight out that window along with that book your Father worked hard for"

Needless to say he started balling crying, as did his 5-year-old sister. I looked at my brother and just shook my head. I sat down for 15 minutes with my brother and we tried to pretend like nothing happened, while my brother's girlfriend tried to comfort the balling kids. Then I just apologised and left.

I really don't know what to think now. I know the way I dealt with it was totally wrong. But the kid was just behaving in such a nasty way, he needed to be put in his place by an adult. I just wish I could have dealt with him in a more civilised manner.

OP,

It's irrellevant how bratty your nephew was being at Christmas - it is not your place to discipline & certainly not your place to use any kind of physical force. If you did that to my kids, in my home - you'd be out on your ear permanently - after I'd thrown YOU against a wall!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Regardless of how lax your brothers parenting is or how snotty you view their kids you have absolutely no right to say or do anything to those kids without the express permission of their parents. The kid sounds very snotty indeed but that doesn't give you the right to assume the role of parent & use physical force against someone elses child - you were bang out of order.

I think you should appologise profusely to your brother, your sister-in-law & your nephew - if they ever want to see you again. By all mean suggest a parenting course but if someone who screamed at my kids there was no Santa before slamming them off a wall tried to infer I lacked the necessary skills to bring up children, frankly, I'd laugh in their face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Your brohter needs to impose some boundries onto that little devil child. I would have done the exact same thing. Little bollix deserved it, maybe not being pinned against a wall though. But a good yelling at.

Next xmas buy the little sh1t some coal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Some of the posts here are priceless. Teach a kid not to be a thug, by shouting, hitting and generally acting exactly like one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

IMO, we live in the real world, surrounded by a lot of different people and influences. To say that parents are the only people capable of disciplining children is, I think, unrealistic, and contributing to the idea that kids can get away with whatever they like, including intimidating other people. I'd say that its an important learning experience for any child to realise that people have limits, and will totally lose it if pushed far enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

What book was it ?

This thread has nothing to do with if you are a parent or not, (maturity maybe) or what you've seen etc. You can't change a child's behaviour overnight, you need to train them, condition them if you like. Into acceptable patterns of social behaviour. So its something that's done slowly overtime, and reinforced over and over by the same consistent messages.

The problem here is that the parent are too lax. You should be pointing that out to the parents not the child. Its not the childs fault. As they say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

Botswana wrote:

really?
    as a father of a 4 year old I reserve the right to rear him as I see fit - not what any course or clod on the internet tells me.

furthermore i was raised with a few belts and i must say it never did me much harm.
    how many kids do you have?

in the OP's case - i doubt this behaviour from the child was a once off. the parents are probably accepting this behaviour a lot and thus he feels he can get away with it. he bigger issue lies with the parents (your bro). perhaps your bro will sit up and take stock now and maybe some god may come of this and if so maybe it was worth ruining christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

This was always going to boil down to an argument between those who believe physical discipline has its merits and those who think it's absolutely wrong.

The times I was physically punished as a child didn't emotionally scar me. In fact, I was taught a valuable lesson. Although the magnitude of his (re)action was wrong, the kid will get over it. Maybe the OP needs to address some anger issues. Maybe not. Is this out of the ordinary for you??

It really sounds if the parents are completely out of their depth and have no control over the child. After an apology to your bro and his GF why not broach the idea of a parenting course. The most important thing to do here is to raise the child not to be a future asshole. There's too many of them around the place anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

This was always going to boil down to an argument between those who believe physical discipline has its merits and those who think it's absolutely wrong.

No it wasn't. Many of us were spanked as children, I was, and in hindsight, I'm glad I was or who know how I might have turned out. I don't believe spanking is necessary, but for some parents, mine included, it was the best way for them and the most effective for the individual child. I intend to spank my children when I have them, I think it is a reasonable choice.

This is about a completely other issue - an uncle coming into the home on Christmas day, grabbing a bold child by the collar, shoving him against a wall and telling him and his sister the truth about Santa Clause (presumably a tradition the parents had wanted to keep). That isn't merely about 'spanking' or physical discipline in the home, it's actually about violence and loss of control in front of two young children.

InFront wrote:
    No it wasn't. Many of us were spanked as children, I was, and in hindsight, I'm glad I was or who know how I might have turned out. I don't believe spanking is necessary, but for some parents, mine included, it was the best way for them and the most effective for the individual child. I intend to spank my children when I have them, I think it is a reasonable choice.

This is about a completely other issue - an uncle coming into the home on Christmas day, grabbing a bold child by the collar, shoving him against a wall and telling him and his sister the truth about Santa Clause (presumably a tradition the parents had wanted to keep). That isn't merely about 'spanking' or physical discipline in the home, it's actually about violence and loss of control in front of two young children.

I disagree.

After this unfortunate incident is in the distant past, I believe the the real issue will be how the parents respond to their child's upbringing - including disciplining him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Playboy wrote:
    Tbh OP you were way over the top. The reason the child is behaving badly has more to do with the parents than the child. A child doesnt spoil himself .. his parents spoil him! It is not your place to discipline your brothers kids. And I'm sorry but those kids were much too young to find out that Santa doesnt exist .. that was a really lame thing to do that is going to have an impact on them for the next few years and maybe on their friends depending on who they tell! I'd be ringing to apologize!

I agree wholeheartedly with this, children are only whatever way their parents have taught them to be. Disciplining your brother's children is up to your brother & his partner, no one else. If you disagreed with the kids behaviour then you should have said something to your brother instead of going above his & their mothers head to discipline him 'your' way. Losing the head with a child like that is completely unacceptable regardless of what was done/said.

If I was you I'd be doing my damndest to make it up to my brother because personally I think it's going to take an awful lot to get things back to 'normal' there.

I disagree.

After this unfortunate incident is in the distant past, I believe the the real issue will be how the parents respond to their child's upbringing - including disciplining him.

No, I don't think it has anything to do with parents diciplining or not. It's to do with an Uncle taking it upon himself to use physical punishment & then telling the kid there is no Santa.

If the parents are too lax then the parents need a talking to & they reserve the right to tell yo where to go telling them how to parent, if the kid is ungrateful then tell him he's being ungrateful - grabbing someone elses child, man-handling them & then taking it upon yourself to tell them there is no Santa is completely bang out of order - regardless of folks feelings on how parents should discipline. How the parents discipline is another topic & none of the OP's business. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Well I called over this morning. St. Stephen's morning. My bro and his GF were cool about it. His GF told me that the little brat deserved a good shaking up like that, and maybe if he had a strong influence like me in his life he wouldn't be getting into so much trouble at school, etc. My bro said that he's going to be sterner in the future with him and take less crap. After I left they had a LONG chat with him about his behaviour and how it needs to change.

As for the whole Santa issue, my brother told him that Santa was only pretend, and he indeed bought all the presents, but he was not to tell his little sister.

When the boy came into the room, he said hello to me, and was generally much more well behaved. A MASSIVE turnaround from Christmas morning.'

• Advertisement

Again, I disagree. What was done to the child cannot be undone. At this point there is little point in repeating the fact that it was wrong - there are enough posts saying that already.

As I've already said, the OP needs to address why he felt the need to react like he did. In similar (soul searching) manner, I think that the parents need to confront the fact that their son is a brat and take steps to do something about it, lest he grow up into one.

I realise I'm repeating myself here, but if the above issues are addressed, what happened may well be a catalyst for a positive change in the life of all those involved.

As for the active input of the uncle into the child's life - including discipline - well, that would seem to be a function of the uncles relationship with the family. My young nephew lives with me, I love him and am very close to him. As such, I feel that I would have a greater input into his life then if I only saw him once a month. If a father wrote in this forum that he did something similar would you disagree with his actions any less? I would guess the answer would be no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Scrooge. wrote:
    I went over to my brother and his girlfriends house for Christmas morning. His nippers were up and about, excited about Christmas morning. Their 7 year old boy, a right cheecky brat, opened his presents. He was happy about his present from "Santy" but said he didn't like the present his parents got him, saying it was "crap".

I let it slip. But later on, he started sulking and pulling faces because he wasn't happy about the gift "Dad" bought him. I looked at the hurt look on my Brother's face and I nearly just lost it.

"Look" I said, "James worked very hard for that present so you better start being more respectful". He again started pulling faces and repeated my words in a sarcastic voice. I let it go.

But when he started flinging the gift "Dad" got him out the window because it was "crap" and "useless", i just totally flipped. I caught him by the collar of his pjs and shoved him into the wall.

"Look you little ****er, your DAD worked hard for those presents, he bought every single one of them, there is no Santa. You better start behaving or I'll throw you straight out that window along with that book your Father worked hard for"

Needless to say he started balling crying, as did his 5-year-old sister. I looked at my brother and just shook my head. I sat down for 15 minutes with my brother and we tried to pretend like nothing happened, while my brother's girlfriend tried to comfort the balling kids. Then I just apologised and left.

I really don't know what to think now. I know the way I dealt with it was totally wrong. But the kid was just behaving in such a nasty way, he needed to be put in his place by an adult. I just wish I could have dealt with him in a more civilised manner.

Well where to start? The uncle was totally and complete out of order. This was a seven year old child. A child who would have spent christmas eve hyper with the excitement of Santa coming that night.

A child who may have had only 6 or 7 hours sleep and who may have been up early to see if Santa had arrived.

You have to give children a bit of leeway at chirstmas. Sometimes its all just way way too much for them.

But imo the father was worse. Imagine letting someone treat your child like that. Imagine sitting down after this event and trying to pretend nothing had happened - while your partner tries to calm down two very young children. One of whom has just been physically abused by their uncle.

If you subsitue wife instead of child here we would all be calling the guards.

Imagine if the OP had said...
    But when she started flinging the gift "James" got her out the window because it was "crap" and "useless", i just totally flipped. I caught her by the collar of her pjs and shoved her into the wall.

Would you all be "highfiving" him then??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fair play to you OP, even though the day may have been slightly tarnished, i think that you were dead right. that is my opinion on it. that kid may appreciate what he gets in the future. and hopefully, your brother will admire you for having respect in him.

As for the active input of the uncle into the child's life - including discipline - well, that would seem to be a function of the uncles relationship with the family. My young nephew lives with me, I love him and am very close to him. As such, I feel that I would have a greater input into his life then if I only saw him once a month.

The parents may well need to address the behaviour of their child but that is entirely up to them - by all means the OP could point out their parenting frailties but he should not under any circumstances take it upon himself to right their wrongs as he sees fit...if he has a big problem with the kid that requires massive discipline/parenting changes, he needs to talk to the parents. Going ballistic at a kid who is only doing what their parents allow is completely pointless as well as giving the kid an equally bad example to follow & the parents a reason to ostricise the very person who could be a positive influence for these kids - if only he could behave like an adult himself.

Just out of interest, what would your sister say/do if your "input" consisted of slamming your nephew against a wall & telling him there was no Santa? Would she thank you for your behavioural catalyst? If any adult called my kid a w*nker, layed hands on them in anger & destroyed a childhood fanasty like Santa - I would be absolutely livid. The fact the kids parents just sat there pretending nothing happened makes me question their parenting skills more than any amount of bratty behaviour their kid displays. I wonder how many of the posters here who thinks the OP was quite right to do what he did have kids of their own & would be quite happy to let their sibling do likewise?
    If a father wrote in this forum that he did something similar would you disagree with his actions any less? I would guess the answer would be no.

I would disagree with them exactly the same tbh...loosing it & lashing out is bad news from Uncles, fathers, mothers, whomever & equally as bad from an adult to another adult, adult to child, etc - there are just so many more effective methods of punishment that don't involve adults loosing their temper & hitting out in anger.

mr_angry wrote:
    IMO, we live in the real world, surrounded by a lot of different people and influences. To say that parents are the only people capable of disciplining children is, I think, unrealistic, and contributing to the idea that kids can get away with whatever they like, including intimidating other people. I'd say that its an important learning experience for any child to realise that people have limits, and will totally lose it if pushed far enough.

I agree up until your last sentance. There is no way anyone, never mind a 7yr old, should have to learn adults "totally loose it" if pushed. You need to go on an anger management course never mind a parenting course if a 7yr old (not even your own, someone elses!) being bratty is enough to tip you over the edge & make you lash out & hurt them.

If I'm not present then I have no problem with someone TELLING my child not to do something or TELLING him/her they are doing wrong. Under no circumstances is any other adult allowed to excert physical punishment on my child & if I'm there I expect people to trust that I will punish my own child as I see fit & in my own time, or they can tell me that they are not happy - I don't expect them to reach across in front of me & wallop my child in lieu of my not parenting the way they see fit. :mad:

Lack of control and discipline from all parties involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

havent read all replies so sorry if I overlap but........

Your brother is the dad, it was his present the kid was giving out about therefore his problem. There are plenty of kids that I would like to give out s**t to but its simply not my place.
    I have a little fella but hes still in the angel phase (5mths!) but I wouldnt allow anyone back into my house family or not if they did that to my kid - in saying that he wont be a brat bec im not one for taking crap but there are better ways to handle things than what you did - you sound like a scumbag calling a kid a f****r hardly a good example!

I have a stepson whos tha same age and weve had our differences bec hes spoilt in his mams house (i get on fine with her btw!!) the one incident that comes to mind was a trip to shops where he wanted to bring scooter - I said fine once he rode it there and back but nope on the way back he asked me to carry it I refused and it was thrown on the ground and he walked away - so did I! I left it there and he had to go back and get it amongst his floods of tears and hes never done it since - no name calling, body slamming or christmas ruining involved!! Likewise at a birthday he was being a spoilt brat about a present someone bought him and his dad simply took every one of the presents away until he learned some manners - I can understand you being peed off about the kid - anyone would be but you should have had it out with the dad not the kid - I would have no problem with someone giving out to my kid in a constructive way but God help them if they did what you did. You have some serious grovelling to do my friend and id do it quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK, while being interesting, this thread has gone way off topic. The OP asked for help on how to proceed after this dispute.

If people want to argue about the rights and wrongs please take it to Humanities, or Parenting. Any future off-topic postings will result in a banning.

Apologise profusely to the brother and his partner. Buy his kids some really nice presents. Hope with time this all clears up.

BTW why does everyone keep calling the OP "uncle"? The writing sounds like it's coming from a girl...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Clodidah

em ur man said he apologised an that the parents agreed with him. but jesus christ botswana throwing more presents at the child wouldnt help at all. it would have the reverse effect to what he wanted.

Well my thinking is that he can fix the "presents are bad" thing which the kids much now be thinking.

But it could be bad advice, I accept that...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement