Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bt taking money without my consent

Options
  • 25-12-2006 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

i changed banks about 3 months ago and i forgot to swap over the direct debit details for my bt broadband and telephone line rental charges. They sent me a letter with a direct debit mandate asking for the new details which i proceeded to fill in and send back to them. About 2 weeks later they send me another letter saying they will cut my service off unless i pay my bill. i phoned them and spoke to their payment department who confirmed they had received the direct debit but that wouldn't start until my next bill towards the end of january. i said i would pay by lazer if they could confirm to me that they wouldn't then take the money by direct debit as well, i think i said something like i know bt love to **** up their payments but you can guarantee you won't take it twice? the agent insisted that wouldn't happen. i don't think i need to tell you what happened next :mad: .

speaking to them they admitted they should'nt have taken the payment but said there is now a credit on my account and won't refund me it will just come off my next bill. now taking this money at xmas esp. with a long month until my next payday is gonna leave me really short, what i want to know is are they legally obliged to refund the money back to my bank account or do i just have to put up with it?

happy xmas to all bythe way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 BackwardRussia

I'd say they are legally obliged to give you the money back, I mean they are taking money (the 2nd payment) for a service they haven't provided you with technically. If it's worth the hassle and you really need the money, threaten them with the small claims court or similar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Take them to small claims court for it. They won't turn up and you'll win by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

dahamsta wrote:
    Take them to small claims court for it. They won't turn up and you'll win by default.

For the sake of €50 :confused: Are you having a laugh? The OP just wants his few quid back before waiting for his next few bills to wash thru.

OP go to your bank when they reopen and raise an indemnity claim, the bank will refund you the money immediately and will then chase BT for the amount, you wont have to worry.

You can then reinstate your DD when you are comfortable its all been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

In the UK, you can reverse a direct debit by notifying the bank, and they will do it, no questions asked.

This used to be the case here, and there was an agreement with the competition authority about it. For various legal reasons, the rules of that agreement no longer apply. Now, you appear no longer to be entitled to. However, I have seen it done with business accounts in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 jimmy2shoes

will speak to my bank tomorrow, would have done so today but the other half gave birth today so was a little busy. its for 141 euro in total, and now i could defo. need it.

• Advertisement

In the UK, you can reverse a direct debit by notifying the bank, and they will do it, no questions asked.

This used to be the case here, and there was an agreement with the competition authority about it. For various legal reasons, the rules of that agreement no longer apply. Now, you appear no longer to be entitled to. However, I have seen it done with business accounts in the last few years.

It still is the case here, wtf has it got to do with the competition authority :confused: Its an agreement with banks and merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

it used to have to do with the monopolies/TCA people because IPSO, which mediates DD's is an 'agreement between undertakings'.

Bank of Ireland do not allow you to reverse a direct debit in my experience. From memory, the IPSO guidelines on direct debits do not require this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

i had bank of ireland reverse a direct debit from bt this time last year , i had canceled the direct debit after bt failed to provide me with broadband and they re submitted the direct debit and took around 130 euros just before last Christmas

it used to have to do with the monopolies/TCA people because IPSO, which mediates DD's is an 'agreement between undertakings'.

Bank of Ireland do not allow you to reverse a direct debit in my experience. From memory, the IPSO guidelines on direct debits do not require this.
    Educate yourself

http://www.ipso.ie/frames/documents/IPSOFACTOMar2005.pdf

BOI of course allow you to reverse a dd as they are part of the scheme, if your experience says otherwise then you could complain to IPSO.

Advertisement