Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Secular Christmas!

Options
  • 25-12-2006 2:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Enjoy the day you lot!
    May your crackers be full of festive hats and useless nick nacks...

And don't be trying to convert your aged relatives! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

aww :(

happy christmas you lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sit them down in front of this :

RTÉ 2
    Date: Monday 25th December 2006
    Time: 19:40 to 20:50 (1 hour and 10 minutes long)

Rocky Road to Dublin.
    Provocative and revealing portrait of Ireland in the Sixties, a society characterized by a stultifying educational system, a morally repressive and politically reactionary clergy, a myopic cultural nationalism, and a government which seemingly knew no boundary between church and state.

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from

And let them reminisce!

Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Merry everything to everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

bloody nieces and nephews visiting from abroad making me enjoy christmas damnit :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

27 December 1831 Charles Darwin set forth from Plymouth on his journey to South America on the HMS Beagle. A new winter holiday called Beaglemas?

It's a rare term so far... Google gives five hits, two of which have to do with dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I resisted this year, I was a good boy.
    Just limited ourselves to Fr. Ted jokes.
    Hmm, happy new year, soon!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Indeed I had to bite my tongue when my mother remarked that as you get older people tend to revert back to religion. No point starting a row as she's handing me over a yummy dinner, better just think to myself 'poor woman'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> [Beruthiel] Indeed I had to bite my tongue when my mother remarked that as you get
    > older people tend to revert back to religion.

Crumbs, you'd an easy time!

I had to deal with somebody who ranted on to family and friends about (a) muslims wanting to impose Sharia law in Ireland, (b) muslims outbreeding christians all around the world, and that it was the job of my generation to "outbreed" the other lot, (c) that I shouldn't get upset about my ten-week old daughter because "many great people were born the other side of the blanket", (d) that women shouldn't work because the idea of it is "feminist SH1T!!!" (shouted in front of three girls, all under five) (e) Ratzinger is possibly the greatest thinker since Jesus Christ, (f) that it's a great idea to support a catholic third-world orphanage + school which is filled with the kids of parents who've died of AIDS, but which apparently refuses to teach sex-ed because it's "immoral", (g) that being anti-religion is just a "phase" I'm going through, (h) etc, etc.

All in all, it was relaxing to get back to Dublin again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

robindch wrote:
    > [Beruthiel] Indeed I had to bite my tongue when my mother remarked that as you get
    > older people tend to revert back to religion.

Crumbs, you'd an easy time!

I had to deal with somebody who ranted on to family and friends about (a) muslims wanting to impose Sharia law in Ireland, (b) muslims outbreeding christians all around the world, and that it was the job of my generation to "outbreed" the other lot, (c) that I shouldn't get upset about my ten-week old daughter because "many great people were born the other side of the blanket", (d) that women shouldn't work because the idea of it is "feminist SH1T!!!" (shouted in front of three girls, all under five) (e) Ratzinger is possibly the greatest thinker since Jesus Christ, (f) that it's a great idea to support a catholic third-world orphanage + school which is filled with the kids of parents who've died of AIDS, but which apparently refuses to teach sex-ed because it's "immoral", (g) that being anti-religion is just a "phase" I'm going through, (h) etc, etc.

All in all, it was relaxing to get back to Dublin again :)

:eek: sounds as bad as when I went to visit relatives in the U.S. and was treated to a dinner conversation about how 'Eve just ruined it all for everyone by going and eating that apple' and so on... scary stuff

Advertisement