Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing small forest

Options
  • 25-12-2006 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

My house is surrounded by 45 acres of prime agricultural land, which I own. I am not a farmer, and so rent-out this land to farmers for about Eur 6,000 per year. I am interested in converting a little bit of it (perhaps about an acre) into a small forest composed of native Irish trees.

I would like to do this in order to benefit the wildlife and environment, and also for me to enjoy. I do not intend for the trees to be cut-down when they are mature.

I have looked at the Forestry Service website, and it appears that if I did this I would be eligible for a grant which should cover the planting cost, and a yearly income of about Eur 180 per hectare (1 hectare ~ 2.5 acres), which is about 60% of what I am currently earning from the land. The income would also cease after 15 years. While I am not doing this for monetary gain, I would like to know if there are any other grants/sources of income available for this small forest?

As this forest is not being planted to be felled for timber, the trees would probably be planted further apart than normal, and there might even be a small clearing or two in the middle. Do you think this would affect my grant application?

Any comments/suggestions/opinions/etc. would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Hashbrown

try www.crann.ie may help you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

This seems like a great idea. I would 'LOVE' to be able to plant a small forest, since this country is lousy at holding onto it's native trees/forests.

It would be great if people could somehow contribute to a forest, ie plant a tree, or adopt a tree scheme. Is there anything like this in this country??

If anyone would like to stroll through a nice Irish Forest, try Birr Castle in Offaly, they have a Sequoia that is HUGE!!! They also have lots of other trees on their 100 acre Demesne.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

while i can't offer any financial advice to you on this, i'll just say fair balls to you for trying this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

fluppet,

Was looking at doing something similar myself but on a ver small scale (maybe 3-4 acres) but haven't found time to do any real research.

Please keep me updated on how you get on as I am very interested in this..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

fluppet,
    plant your trees as normal. After five or six or even ten years you'll get a better idea of the strong healthy growers and you thin out the weaklings.It's best for overall results. Good man yourself.

I'm planting chestnut trees around the place. Thought it would be fun three years ago or so to try a few nuts, now after three years of successful germination I'm having trouble getting rid of them as they need a HUGE area to grow into...Chapelizod bypass is going to get a few!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement