Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X1950Pro Problem

Options
  • 25-12-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I have a really annoying problem with my new X1950Pro.

I installed FEAR Combat, to find I was getting a max fps of 25 on 1024x768, all other settings maxed out. Thought that was a bit strange but lowered my settings anyway, to 1024x768 to roughly medium settings. This I was confident would work flawlessly seeing as my old 7600Gt belted out the game at high settings fairly well, but again, highest fps is about 25?

V-Sync is off, have tried installing different drivers, but still the same. Terrible in-game performance, far under my old 7600GT. Any ideas?

my specs:

E6400
    2Gb DDr2 800mhz ram
    256Mb X1950Pro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

'Tis an odd festive problem.

It sounds like a driver issue. Check the forums at Guru3D and see if anyone else is having issues. Often one set of drivers will be 'the one' to use with certain games.

BTW.....what are you doing wasting time on xmas day reading tech stuff on boards.ie? :D I have an excuse as i'm at work ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I was havng the same problem with my x1950 pro too. ****ty perforance in everything.

I went back to 6.5 and everything is okay now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Do you have a link to what you're using anti, I tried the supplied HIS drivers but they were unbelievably useless, I just got ones there, catalyst drivers by dhzerpoint, giving me about 30-60fps in FEAR at max settings, a damn sight better but still not as good as I had hoped for, still performing no better then my 7600gt really.

edit: I got Super Pi 32m in.....24m 31s on my e6400 at stock

and

26s for 1M Super Pi

how would one interpet that, I think it's ok but I'm not positive. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something wrong with my e6400 that it was bottlenecking games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Super-Pi scores seem about right.

Catalyst 6.5 Windows 2000/XP

super, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Just a quick suggestion but you've updated FEAR to the latest version as there have been a fair amount of patches for that game.

Also soft shadows should be disabled in game.

Yeah I'm patched up. Somethings bottlenecking my computer but I don't know what.

For example.

I ran Fear at 1024x768, all options on max, 4x AA 16xAF, Soft Shadows on -> 30-60FPS

I ran Fear at 1024x768, all options on medium, 4x AA 8XAF, Soft Shadows off -> Exact same result, 30-60fps

Using 6.11 Cats. Any opinions? It appears the X1950 is performing as good as it should - turning everything to max with aa and af on full alongside soft shadows didn't cripple performance at all, it left it totally unchanged.

Just stumped as to what is limiting the fps to 60 even on low options...I used to run the game on higher settings then the second configuration mentioned on my 7600GT and frequently hit 100fps when idle or in corridors etc, but with the X1950 no matter what its capped at 60. V-Sync is definatley not on and set to application controlled in control center.

for starters the game runs best on nvidia hardware, as it is optimized for it.

Your super pi scoers dont seem right to me tbh.

I just ran it on my 3500+ and got 31seconds for 1M.

If i were you i would install driver cleaner, and make sure all traces of the nvidia driver is gone. Could be a conflict here.

That is unusual with the numbers staying the same soft shadows in FEAR usually kill performance.

You can see benchmarks with the 7600GT & X1950 Pro at 1024x768 & 1024x760 + 4xAA 16xAF and the X1950 Pro leaves the 7600GT behind with all the IQ enabled.

As Anti mentions try drivercleaner pro, Google for it as the free version is no longer available on it's site but is still mirrored on various sites.

Also uninstall FEAR and once done go into Shared Documents and delete the Monolith Productions/FEAR folder so the settings are removed for a clean re-install.

anti wrote:
    for starters the game runs best on nvidia hardware, as it is optimized for it.

Your super pi scoers dont seem right to me tbh.

I just ran it on my 3500+ and got 31seconds for 1M.

If i were you i would install driver cleaner, and make sure all traces of the nvidia driver is gone. Could be a conflict here.

Yeah I've already installed Driver Cleaner to remove the previous cats, I never had my 7600GT installed on this computer, that was a reference to my old computer with a P4.

Just really annoying, I mean I'm not overly frustrated with 60fps on max settings with soft shadows and all aa and af enabled, thats a fairly good yield, but its just annoying that its capped by something and I don't know what it is...

Ran 3d mark 06 last night and got 5215 which seems fairly accurate for my system...

edit: Also while I'm here I've encountered the most bloody annoying problem - I cannot crouch in Battlefield 2. No matter what key I bind it to, it just doesn't work, on any keyboard. I've tried uninstalling, deleting profiles, and reinstalling and re-patching - same thing. What an earth could be causing this? It doesn't affect any other games but it'll drive me mental in bf2 if I can't crouch any more...

• Advertisement

On the off chance adaptive anti-aliasing isn't enabled as that's the same deal as NVIDIA's Transparency AA which AA's the alpha textures in game (chain link fences, grates, see through walk ways etc.) a lot of that stuff in game can seriously reduce performance sometimes (if you use the quality setting).

Just in case you missed it above the FEAR settings folder is in your shared documents which remembers whatever settings/hardware you were using so definitely delete that if its the same one from which the NVIDIA card was running.

HavoK wrote:
    Yeah I've already installed Driver Cleaner to remove the previous cats, I never had my 7600GT installed on this computer, that was a reference to my old computer with a P4.

Just really annoying, I mean I'm not overly frustrated with 60fps on max settings with soft shadows and all aa and af enabled, thats a fairly good yield, but its just annoying that its capped by something and I don't know what it is...

Ran 3d mark 06 last night and got 5215 which seems fairly accurate for my system...

edit: Also while I'm here I've encountered the most bloody annoying problem - I cannot crouch in Battlefield 2. No matter what key I bind it to, it just doesn't work, on any keyboard. I've tried uninstalling, deleting profiles, and reinstalling and re-patching - same thing. What an earth could be causing this? It doesn't affect any other games but it'll drive me mental in bf2 if I can't crouch any more...

5215 seems okay, im currenty getting 5223. What cpu are you using ?

E6400 at stock. I plan overclocking but I'm fairly limited as I'm using an msi neo-f and its not so good for overclocking...no option to increase voltage

Using 6.11 Catalyst right now. Re-Installed FEAR and re-installed the catalyst and everything seems okay now - running the game at 1024x768, CPU options at maximum, Graphics options at maximum, 4xAAa and 16xAF with Soft shadows on - 60-100fps range.

fearmp2006122700355490nx1.jpg

Advertisement