Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unwanted presents anyone?..

• 25-12-2006 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Mines' a full body massage voacher.

I've as much interest in a full body massage as I have of being hit by a bus!.

Whats yours?.

Comments

Is it in a "massage parlour" by any chance?

My sister got one or two unwanted presents methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

My mother bought me a bath matt.

I don't even have a bath :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

BODY MASSAGE!!!

OOOoooooh yeah! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ebay.ie has a section for passing on unwanted gifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

JohnCleary wrote:

LOLOL! that's classic!

• Advertisement

Honestly, I don't think there's really anything I got that I don't want.

Infact, I got some stuff I really needed. Even the usual shower gel / deoderant gift set that always seems to be left for half the year isn't unwanted this time around, as I'm nearly out of shower gel.

I think if someone had given me socks, I would've been gratefull, because I don't seem to have any clean ones left. :o

Still, I could do with a body massage. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

BODY MASSAGE!!!

OOOoooooh yeah! :D

Thats just strange!

Only unwanted gift I have is a hangover from last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Wine Cashmere Jumper. I'm male and 28. Perhaps if I wear it, I'll become 50 and I'll start playing golf, buy a lemon coloured shirt and tie the jumper around my neck, while wearing shorts and boating shoes. Or I could buy 11 more, and produce a Geansai Calendar just like wee Daniel.

kearnsr wrote:
    Only unwanted gift I have is a hangover from last night

Yeah, I'm a little hung over myself too. Mixing Stella Artios, Hoegaarden, Guinness, Captain Morgan's and Jack Daniels probably wasn't the best idea on my part either.

Still, this is a very, very mild hangover compared to the ones I usually get. Seems the hangover fairy was kind to me this Xmas. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Fcuking Lynx sets.... every year!!

It's a hint ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Two words:

Holy Toast

ned78 wrote:
    It's a hint ;)

It's Lynx, what kind of hint could that be, that you need to smell more like a skanger? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Mairt wrote:

I've as much interest in a full body massage as I have of being hit by a bus!.

Whats yours?.

Just ask for 'happy ending' afterwards. :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i got 4 shaving sets,

got a phone off my sister, the same phone i got 2 weeks ago....

Marts wrote:
    LOLOL! that's classic!

It's not... It's really not :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

got a pair of cheap,****e ipod 'speakers'.........and the person who got them already knew i had like 3 ipod speakers[good ones]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Socks. Countless socks. Serves me right for complaining about holes in my current crop, but how and ever. It's the thought that counts. (repeat, ad infinium.)

Still, I got a few nice surprises. A friend got me a USB powered cup warmer, which will come in exceptionally handy - one of those cool things I could never have been bothered to get myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I used to think socks and boxers were my unwanted gifts but ever since ive moved from home they have become very wanted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I hate all the money that gets wasted in xmas. I love the craic & the drink, and the 'quality time', but have never been too pushed on exchanging gifts. If i actually want something ill usually have bought it already.

I got a MP3 player when i already have 2 that i dont use. Got a fancy phone when the reason i have a crap one is i work on building sites and have filthy hands most of the day. Got a jumper Elton John wouldnt wear. Got a load of books when the only reading i ever do is in the jacks. And a bunch of DVDs that i probably wont ever watch. Id be much happier if all that money had been given to charity or something.

The worst thing is all the people I bought gifts for are probably thinking the same:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

Ok this wasn't a Christmas present, it was actually a Birthday present, but I feel I just have to mention it for sheer randomness

I got a Graphing Calculator for my birthday...one of those that costs like 70 Euro

......I was turning 15 and about to sit the Junior Cert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Wait for it....

"Stainless Steel Memo Holders"

I dont do memo's, along with 99.9999% of the population.

Memo to self: use memo holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Judt wrote:
    A friend got me a USB powered cup warmer, which will come in exceptionally handy - one of those cool things I could never have been bothered to get myself.

I got one of those aswell.....pity i drop drink any hot drinks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

A few years ago I got a box of Dictionaries.

Seriously like, it had an English Dictionary, Thesaurus, Dictionary of Idioms, Rhyming Dictionary, Crossword Dictionary and one or two more I can't remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

Piste wrote:
    A few years ago I got a box of Dictionaries.

Seriously like, it had an English Dictionary, Thesaurus, Dictionary of Idioms, Rhyming Dictionary, Crossword Dictionary and one or two more I can't remember.
    Haha bet it'll come useful someday =P

Nah, not with dictionary.com and the rest. Such handy sites tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Yeah, I'm a little hung over myself too. Mixing Stella Artios, Hoegaarden, Guinness, Captain Morgan's and Jack Daniels probably wasn't the best idea on my part either.

Still, this is a very, very mild hangover compared to the ones I usually get. Seems the hangover fairy was kind to me this Xmas. :)
    Musta been a big glass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

JohnCleary wrote:

quote of the year:D

*edit* ah **** never thought of a shower!

steveland? wrote:
    Musta been a big glass...

Nah, I used a bucket. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

I got my own pressies this year but sister in law gave me bust beauty gel to prevent them ageing and sagging one year. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Muhahahahaha

bit like the antiaging cream I got last year from my younger sister who looks older the I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

hehe
    *my* familly know how to do xmas gifts......
    A xmas card with sum nice little slips of colored paper with holographic strips, useful for goods and services you *really* want.
    My OH knows exactly what to get me and got me some amazing gifts, I think he reads minds *creepy music*.

B ;)

(Even still, next year this "santa" guy I keep hearing about, better leave me one of these or I will stop believing in him, he has one apparently, all souped up, painted red and attached to some reindeer, feckin ba$tard! *grrr)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TinnnA

I got Nivea for oily hair instead of Nivea volume, about which i told my father christmas about. I guess my santa is blind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I pretty much appreciate all gifts I get but I have to say I was a tad disappointed when I got a lynx giftset from an eldery relative, especially since I'm a girl:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Is it in a "massage parlour" by any chance?

My sister got one or two unwanted presents methinks.
    From you?:D
    Judt wrote:

Still, I got a few nice surprises. A friend got me a USB powered cup warmer, which will come in exceptionally handy - one of those cool things I could never have been bothered to get myself.
    Oh i got one of those for my mam, except i got it for free. I mean your friend probably paid for it.....probably

Plug wrote:
    quote of the year:D

*edit* ah **** never thought of a shower!

Ooohhh errr, what an honour :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

PJ's (could set up my own PJ shop at this stage)
    Bath, shower and lotion sets (my in-laws must think I'm filthy and smelly)
    Kids got lots of toys (can't move in my own sitting room, living room already bursting at seams with their old toys) and clothes (no room in their wardrobes and dressing tables to fit them all in )
    Table mats (to be stored in cupboard along with 2 other sets gotten for us in the past, still unwrapped)
    Chocolates, chocolates and more chocolates
    I'll be bringing in sacks to St. Vincent de Paul in a few days, but I don't think anybody will want them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ha! Ha!

Your families are all crap. I got some good stuff that I will actually watch/read/use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

AnonoBoy wrote:
    Ha! Ha!

Your families are all crap. I got some good stuff that I will actually watch/read/use.
    What? It doesn't make families crap if they buy you stuff you don't want. It's the thought that counts!

Can't stand people who bitch about their presents if/when they don't get what they want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i got vouchers of some store I never heard of.

dunne & Crescenzi

I'm hoping its a brothel.

EDIT: Oh its some italian food place...cool. (google be thy friend)

would I look like a cheapskate if I used a voucher on a date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

would I look like a cheapskate if I used a voucher on a date?
    Yes ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Well I asked my Kris Kindle for the book 'Señor Nice', by Howard Marks. But they thought that I was just speaking in Spanish for the craic :), so they got me 'Mr Nice', which I already have!

Other than that little mix-up, can't think of anything really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I got a homer simpson tie...... My mothers idea of a joke.

A pizza wheel.....

And chinese plum wine.....

Ill swap all these for some stale crust.. happily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Beau x1 wrote:
    Haha bet it'll come useful someday =P

Nah, not with dictionary.com and the rest. Such handy sites tbh.

Well the Englishdictionary yes because the whole family uses itso it's all battered and worn at this stage. The others...not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I got a fairly gay t-shirt that I doubt I will ever wear!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

My worst was a bank draft that I got today. The amount was not massive - But I feel very awarkawd in accepting it.

The amount while not massive was too much as a Christmas gift.

If I return it - I am afraid I'll cause offence.

But I would prefer the person who gave it to me - to spend it on themselves.

I would have prefer if it was never given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I got some 'Glitter Bath Fizzers' which will apparently fill my bath water with glitter that clings to the skin, so even after washing I will probably still have glitter all over me, in my hair, and in turn it will probably get all over my clothes. That might be fun if I was about 12 but why someone would think that's a suitable present for a 30 year old woman, I'm really not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I got nothing that I didn't want or won't use, except some unwanted text messages and a few horrible hangovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

nothing that I can think of. My brother & myself both got each other the same dvd, but as its someone we both like (Dylan Moran's new one), tis grand! Also got the same perfume set from 2 people, but again, its one I like, so if I can't swap one, I'll use it eventually.
    Got a ****load of cds & dvds that I wanted and a few vouchers and stuff.. Very happy really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Mairt wrote:

Why wouldn't you use it? I got one too & will definitely use it.

I know I'm a female, but I got one for my dad the other year & he loved it. My brother actually asked for a voucher for one this year & having just recently completed a massage course, I've given my OH a good few massages which he loved (no smart comments please...) They're so relaxing that I can't understand why more people don't go for them....

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Chocolate fondue maker. Weird.

• Advertisement
Advertisement