Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Usernames and Spaces...

Options
  • 25-12-2006 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I'm not here to FIGHT DA POWA!!!11! But I do have a question regarding user names.

Boards is the only site I've found (that I can remember) that allows the use of a 'space' in the user name and quite frankly it's spoiled me! Why is it that other lesser sites force me to be The_Gnome or The.Gnome and while I can use a glorious space in between here? Do they hate me, the space or Gnomes in general?

I demand an international oversight committee to be set up to investigate this!

EDIT: Make to sense post now ¬_¬
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i think the reason is simply that when these here forum type things were invented they didn't use "" around usernames, so "the gnome" registered as the, with " gnome" being lost in database hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's because we love you. We love you in a way that no other site loves you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Stark wrote:
    It's because we love you. We love you in a way that no other site loves you.

Aha! i KNEW it! :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Boards.ie

Now yerr Spacing.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm feeling pretty spaced right now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

this rocks

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i wonder do other vBulletin powered sites have spaces or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Boards.ie, now with added Space Cadets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Its funny, we were thinking of nerfing spaces.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Boards.ie: Now your Spacing!

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spaces can tend to cause a little bit of irritation depending on how a site is coded, and what way the data is stored. They can screw with the layout of data, and can also be used for "injection" attacks,

With a well-tested piece of code however, it should make no difference whether the next letter in your username is a space or a z, they're both equal in the grand scheme. Well, actually z is higher, but let's not get into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I'm glad that we are exploring inner spaces on Feedback. Very glad. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

14 posts in and I feel all dirty. God I love Feedback.

Advertisement