Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me patience with a 169.254.x.x add

Options
  • 25-12-2006 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

I know that someone out there will make me smile this Xmas.

I've got a BT ZyXEL Prestige 600 modem thats plugged into a desktp PC. Its runing fine, can connect into the moden itself and onto the net.

I've also got a laptop that I've now tried plugging into the modem, the dsl light is solid and the connection is showing as active at the back of the laptop but all i'm getting is the Windows ip 169.254 that it auto gives out if it has no connection.

I've checked the Lan settings and auto detect setting is un-checked, there's no fire-wall running, I've cleared cookies, temp files, cache, flushed dns. I've released the ip but I've been unable to renew it. I can ping the loopback add. I've powered off the modem, powered on/off pc and powered back on modem but all I get is the 169.254.x.x. I also cannot connect into the modem to check the setup -'windows cannot open the page'. Anyone got any brainwaves, anything at all????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try setting a static IP address in the same range as the other PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Reset the router (hold a paperclip into the reset slot for 10 secs) to clear loads of tables of data it has.
    May be a DHCP issue.

Other than that, make sure that you don't have any weird WINS/etc settings in your config.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

lets give that ago and see how we get on.

Advertisement