Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com - No To Ireland

Options
  • 25-12-2006 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I tried to buy a dvd from play.com today.....
    Now they do not deliver at all outside the UK.

Then i tried music cd's....and that was the same!!
    The site is now totally useless to us....unless something changes soon.

Must be the Irish government customs putting pressure on them.
    To hell with the Irish comsumer who is trying to save a few quid....make sure the big coperations are ripping us off for every cent we have.

Anyone any ideas??????????????:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Change the currency to Euros.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Damn Irish government!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Change currency to Euros and you'll be fine, it has been like this for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

are you taking the piss?i love that site..................always buying stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

I am used to buying in £Sterling because you might save a little bit more on the currency.

But this must only be a new thing with them.

Anyway, thanks for the help and replies.
    Over and out.
    :):):):):):):):):):):):):) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

i ordered on it seemed to go through fine , maybe like pacifico says change to euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

i ordered on it seemed to go through fine , maybe like pacifico says change to euro
    That is all it is.

MrP

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I tried to buy a dvd from play.com today.....
    Now they do not deliver at all outside the UK.

Then i tried music cd's....and that was the same!!
    The site is now totally useless to us....unless something changes soon.

Must be the Irish government customs putting pressure on them.
    To hell with the Irish comsumer who is trying to save a few quid....make sure the big coperations are ripping us off for every cent we have.

Anyone any ideas??????????????:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you pay Play for a DVD and send it to the Uk they remit VAT to the UK Inland Revenue and they are happy. If you get it sent to Ireland you pay the same price, the Government doesn't get any VAT and Play get to keep the additional profit. So who is ripping who off ?

My understanding is they do not pay VAT to anyone except under a very particular circumstance. This is the reason they are setup where they are. I know this was the case in October, unless it has changed.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I am used to buying in £Sterling because you might save a little bit more on the currency.
    I know what you mean. But soon after they started forcing us to purchase in Euro they made their currency conversions a lot more accurate than they used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Seems odd that they wouldn't pay VAT, since Vat is an EU tax, so any company registered in the EU, selling to countries in the EU should be paying vat. Me thinks Play.com is breakign some law somehow.

• Advertisement

My understanding of it is this:

Under EU law a person buying something has the choice of paying VAT at source or where they will use the item. Play are setup in Jersey. There is no VAT there. Therefore a person buying an item from a company based in Jersey would obviously choose to "pay" the VAT at source, in this case nothing.

Nothing illegal as far as I know.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Jersey isn't in the EU. So it's about import duty isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Its also about VAT as has been posted here many times before. If you are over the €22 limit you are liable for both VAT and import duty at the point of entry to the EU. The fact that paly are operating outside the EU is irrelevant. VAT is usually the only difference between their prices and what you would pay in a store here for a CD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So basically you should be paying VAT and import dutty but so far you're getting away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 invadernim

Recently picking up a package from Amazon at the sorting office, the postie behind the counter informed me that the government is introducing customs policies that will mean an end to ordering toys, electronics DVD's & CD's from internet companies outside Ireland and to enjoy it while I can....

Advertisement