Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32" lcd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭pissed

No
    yup more than pleased with my one too, sky digital and my xbox 360 (also another tesco bargain :D ) connected up to it and looks fine to me, also on the look out for a 2nd one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

robnubis wrote:
    I'd be much more willing to pay 1299 than 400 for a brand name like Philips.

i wouldn't pay €50 for a phillips tv. never had anything but bother with them. pieces of ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

robnubis wrote:
    Hrrrm its hardly a brand name, techno sonic like.

I'd be much more willing to pay 1299 than 400 for a brand name like Philips.

Just to let those who dont know, brand names in electronics esp telly's and such dont make as much difference as they used to, electronic equipment (internal stuff such as motherboards etc) is much of a muchness nowadays, all the parts are much the same and probably made by the same companies, still good idea to check up on a company before buying there products but dont be scared of the unknown company.

With compaines like philips you are paying for the adverts as well as the product,(eg about 2/3rd's of the price of a box of washing powder goes to advertising budget i was once told in a lecture by a guy who had a mate who tried to set up a washpowder company)

The telly in this link is made by an English company with a good name and is a re-brand, Thompsons i think (im sure that is mentioned in the post somewhere)

any left?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just to check; at any point did Tesco Finglas (Clearwater) or Tesco Clare Hall stock these TVs? If I get the chance I'll check either or both of these places out (to see if they get restocked next week), but if they haven't stocked them before there's probably little chance of them having them in should there be a next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

is there anymore of these coming up for sale? Would love one as a new monitor for a new pc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

and did those cello tv's ever come in that they made people pay upfront for??

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i wouldn't pay €50 for a phillips tv. never had anything but bother with them. pieces of ****

Would be inclined to agree with you on that. I know a guy who repairs TV's for a living and out of all the LCD's and Plasmas on the market, he has by far gotten the most returns from Phillips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Maybe i missed it but i didnt read any posts by ppl who got these tv's saying their pieces of crap, just ppl who were delighted with them, and anything bad about them was by someone who didnt have one. For 400 euros its not going to be perfect but i wouldnt be complaining at that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 brokenstring

If anyone seen my post earlier this week about the 42" Philips. The actual model was 42pf3331/10 and was a steal at €1299 for a HD ready LCD. They're all gone now, but the above is also great value!!!!
    You heard it here first yet again!

Jarvis:D

HARVEY NORMAN JUST GOT 10 IN @1349.
    10 ONLY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No
    flogen wrote:
    Just to check; at any point did Tesco Finglas (Clearwater) or Tesco Clare Hall stock these TVs? If I get the chance I'll check either or both of these places out (to see if they get restocked next week), but if they haven't stocked them before there's probably little chance of them having them in should there be a next time

I got mine in Clearwater, flogen.
    Workmates and boss got theirs in Ashbourne.
    This was a day before they were due to go on sale I believe (Sale day was a Thursday)
    I just grabbed a bloke comning out of the stockroom down by the electrical equip and said 'Technosonic!' and he magically got me one.
    Mind you, the one behind the cust serv desk didn't look too happy seeing me with one in my hands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

No
    the corpo wrote:
    and did those cello tv's ever come in that they made people pay upfront for??

Yeah got mine last Thus :D Booked one for a friend and he collected the same day with me.

I must say it may not be the best looking tv or it may not have features like PIP and all but I am delighted with it. Picture is perfect and all the required connections and features are there. Cant really ask for me for a tv of €399. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

No
    @Flogen, I too got mine in Clearwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

I wouldn't pay €50 for a phillips tv. never had anything but bother with them

Seconded that.

Makes you wonder what price Tesco are picking these up at?
    Unlikely they're losing anything on them so how much profit are the other shops making on Philips, Sharp etc and don't mention SONY! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

wonder how long they'll last, they're not the re-badged thompsons which the UK have (apparently)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

zabbo wrote:
    wonder how long they'll last, they're not the re-badged thompsons which the UK have (apparently)
    Yeah, from what I read of the massive thread on AVForums, the Tesco Technosonic is NOT a rebadged Thomson. The rebadged Thomsons were sold by Woolworths in UK, and had the speakers on the side.

That said, I think the Chinese company that owns the Technosonic name, also now owns the Thomson brand. At least it was mentioned by a poster in AVF.

I haven't seen the Tesco Technosonic in the flesh yet, so it's hard to compare it to others. Though, from the limited images I did see, the menu looks very familiar to that of Viewpia. Indeed, there is a Viewpia LCD with the curve at the bottom too, albeit not quite the same.

Has anyone any more images of the Technosonic to post up, particularly menu?

coldfire1x wrote:
    Yeah got mine last Thus :D Booked one for a friend and he collected the same day with me.

really?
    my bro never got a call from them about his, so he chased it up. was told they only got 9 in, and he is 16 on the list. they said they were waiting to hear from the rep on monday about getting more.
    what i imagine they will do is use the new shipment of technosonic tvs to fill these orders

thing is, is the cello the better tv? should be stick to his guns and try and get that one? he did pay for it after all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

No
    Woolworths in the UK have increased the price of their Technosonic (not the same model as the Tesco one) to £449 from £399 because they had only £4 profit on them at the lower price! (this is according to a poster on AVForums who says he works for Woolies). At a guess Tesco Ireland is probably selling the Technosonic at, at least €150 below cost. As for the Cello it's probably a good bit more...:eek:

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

Can people who got them (Technosonic or Cello) in Cork tell me where. I have been following the posts as best I can. I know someone got one in Youghal. There were some posts saying Wilton were meant to get some.

I know Mahon point didn't. So did anyone get one in Wilton or anywhere else except Youghal (perhaps Midleton?). I don't mind checking around but chances are that only places that had them before are going to have any chance of having them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

No
    byte wrote:
    Has anyone any more images of the Technosonic to post up, particularly menu?

Techno.jpg

Any chance of a menu hack to get the PIP working?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭walshki

walshki wrote:
    So did anyone get one in Wilton or anywhere else except Youghal (perhaps Midleton?).

To partially answer my own question Midleton had them initially (both the technosonic and the cello). They, unsurpisingly, don't know anything about them coming back in. Think I'll be checking there on Thursday morning. They actually had one cello model there today but were selling it at e899 and weren't negotiating.

• Advertisement

No
    walshki wrote:
    To partially answer my own question Midleton had them initially (both the technosonic and the cello). They, unsurpisingly, don't know anything about them coming back in. Think I'll be checking there on Thursday morning. They actually had one cello model there today but were selling it at e899 and weren't negotiating.

walshski, go into Midleton Sq or Wilton sq or Mahon Point or any of teh Cork stores Wednesday at least and badger the staff (politely):)
    One of them may crack...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

pissed wrote:
    yup more than pleased with my one too, sky digital and my xbox 360 (also another tesco bargain :D ) connected up to it and looks fine to me, also on the look out for a 2nd one :D

Would you mind telling me how you connected your 360 to it?
    I think I read somewhere that the tv doesn't have component. Is that right? Does that mean you had to get a HDMI cable for your 360 to connect?
    Cheers ahead of time.

P.S. Anyone with a similar setup, feel free to answer. Will have to try buy one of these at this price if the 360 can be connected handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Just reading back over the thread, and it appears to have component in.
    So that answers that question!:rolleyes:

the technosonic appears to have component, but no-one has said if the cello does, and all the blurb i've found online indicates that it doesn't

No
    Soarer wrote:
    Would you mind telling me how you connected your 360 to it?
    I think I read somewhere that the tv doesn't have component. Is that right? Does that mean you had to get a HDMI cable for your 360 to connect?
    Cheers ahead of time.

P.S. Anyone with a similar setup, feel free to answer. Will have to try buy one of these at this price if the 360 can be connected handy.

Yes, my 360 is connected via component - picture excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jeffcolley

Does anyone know if the Cello comes with a component cable? Also, anyone got any ideas which is better: the Cello or the Technosonic? I've ordered a Cello from Tesco and I'm hoping it's a good buy.

cheers

jeff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

it comes with a scart i think. and it has a hdmi connection also, doesnt include that cable.

edit : actually on second thoughts, does it come with a component cable.....hmm cant honestly remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jeffcolley

cheers

but do you know if it has the connection that can take a component cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ballybrone

I was in the Tesco store today in Galway thats has some electrical appliances and there is no sign of any 32 " lcd TV's of an description in the shop.The biggest size they had in the shop was a 26".Do we know if all tesco stores will get some quantity of these 32 " LCD for €399 and how would I go about getting one .Would I be able to pay for it now up front or is it a case of calling into the shop on the day of the special offer and paying for the Telly.Will it be advertised in the newspapers ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

yes, it has 2 scarts at the back, hdmi, a coaxial type one, and the component is on the side along with the s video

Advertisement