Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there an easier way of doing this?

Options
  • 26-12-2006 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

I want to crop images in photoshop, which were landscape orientation, so that they are portraits, while keeping the same ratio of the dimensions.
    The way I figured out to do this is to duplicate the background. Turn the opacity on the duplicted layer to 0%, and transforming that layer, turning it 90 degrees and resizing it. I then position the frame over where I want cropped, and then crop the image.

This is a lot of work to do, for such a basic task. Is there an easier way of doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

If you're planning on doing the exact same sequence of events on each image record and action to to it. Very simple to get the hang of and once you get the action correct you can do a 'batch automation' on a folder of images.

Plenty of info in the Photoshop help file on actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Not sure why you would want to create a new 0% opaqe layer. I'm also not sure if you should use the crop tool as I haven't used the crop tool on batches - therefore I'm not sure if the batch reads the coordinates of the crop or the new image dimensions and centers the dimensions on the image - then crops.

If your images that you want cropped are all the same size then you simply create a new action that does this:
    Open
    Rotate
    Canvas size = 100pixels x 200pixels (for example)
    Save image as "blah.jpg" on desktop

Then use the batch tool and (I can never remember this bit) there are checkboxes that you can use that ignore the "blah.jpg" and folder to save in and it asks if you want to save your image in a new folder.

Do a backup and test that out. If you run into trouble post up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Well, every image I crop is cropped to different dimensions, so a batch tool wouldn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Then it's impossible in Photoshop.

The most time saving thing you can do is assign a function key to trigger an action that rotates each picture. Then you open all the images and before you crop the image you press F2 (for example) and it autorotates the image, then you crop and save.

Batching stuff on Photoshop is only for repeated tasks, and the core of your task is not strictly a repetition.

Advertisement